TV Controlled Speakers?

Options
zingo
zingo Posts: 11,258
edited July 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I haven't asked a retarded question in a while, so here goes:
Is there a way to control speakers through your TV? I want to build a small two speakers with integrated amp system that I can stick under my TV since TV speakers aren't great (powered sound bar type thing). My question is, if I hook this thing up to my TV via RCA outs, or whatever I need, is there a way to control it through the TV, or does it have to have it's own volume control? I want something so easy to use that when my wife turns up the TV, she doesn't even know she is using it; no separate adjustments or whatever. I'm just looking for the easiest solution.
Post edited by zingo on

Comments

• MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Zingo,

Your tv should have an option in the audio menu for fixed speaker output/noout put/or variable output. The variable output should be the ticket.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • zingo
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Thanks Scott, I'll look at that when I get home.

Las, I have a Harmony remote, so I have that controllability, I'm just looking for butt simple before going that route.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Variable out on the TV would the butt simplest
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Get a pair of these:
    http://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/supercharger/550k.html
    Crack open the TV, disconnect the internal speakers and pull the wires to the superchargers.

Or see if your TV has variable outputs like Scott said :)
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Those are nice. Did you check out the bigger ones?
  • zingo
    edited July 2008
    Options
    My wife wouldn't let me pull apart our new TV, nor would I want to. (Although I did consider it :D) I couldn't find a variable out on my TV last night, but that doesn't mean it isn't there...
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited July 2008
    Options
    What TV do you have?
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • zingo
    edited July 2008
    Options
  • unc2701
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Yep. You're SOL for using the TV remote to control external volume. I thought the headphone out would do the trick, but that's controlled on some submenu AND you have to mute the TV.

On the other hand, 99% of the universal remotes out there have a volume punch though... even the cable box ones that you get with TWC and comcast. So you could just set one up for the TV and she'd never know the difference; whenever she hit the volume on the remote, it'd control the stereo's volume.
  • zingo
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Ya, I have a Harmony so component control isn't and issue, but I have been on this binge to eliminate components lately... :eek:

Alright, next thought time. I was looking at the T-Amp and building a little pair of fullranger to place on each side of the TV stand. However, I do not believe that the T-Amp can be controlled via remote. Does anyone know of a little amp that can be?
  • -=Germania=-
    -=Germania=- Posts: 11
    edited July 2008
    Options
    ^ Cheap universal remote that has smart switching will do.

Heck, even the one that comes with your cable box might be able to!
  • zingo
    edited July 2008
    Options
    So here are the speakers I am looking at using: Tang Band W3-319SF 3" Full Range Driver

264-819m.jpg

One of the reviews says that he used them in almost the same situation as me, and mounted them in 5" cube boxes with good results. Would an open baffle also work for these, or would too much be lost?
  • unc2701
    edited July 2008
    Options
    A quick eyeball of the specs makes me think you'll want the box. You won't get much of anything under 200hz w/o it. These is a guestimate, but I'd say you could get 120hz sealed box & 100hz ported. Throw it into unibox & see what you get.
  • zingo
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Ya, good call and thanks.

Now I just need a small amp that can be controlled with a remote. It's harder to find than you think...
  • zingo
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Changes of plans...

What about the iLive Soundbar? It's $88 shipped from Walmart. Has a remote control (so I would assume my Harmony One could work it), is self-powered, and it accepts inputs from an iPod plus a line in. It's not HIFI, but I don't know if I'm going to find much better...

"The iT188B is designed to mount on the wall as a “complete flat screen TV 2.1 speaker system,” and features a remote-controlled, motorized iPod Dock which “disappears completely” when not in use. Other features include two high-power speaker enclosures, an AM/FM radio, a full-function clock, auxiliary input, dual AV inputs, video and subwoofer outputs, and a full-function remote."