B&k St2140

scottdawg
scottdawg Posts: 166
edited May 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Has anyone out there had any expierience with this amp?
I need something for my new (used) SDA-SRS-2 speakers.
Would also like to know about a good preamp to mate with it.
Thanks, Scott
Post edited by scottdawg on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited April 2003
    It's a nice puncy 140 x 2 watt amp.It went for 699.99 new.
    It depends if you like how it sounds.
    What can you get the amp for?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • scottdawg
    edited April 2003
    mantis,
    Right now I am the high bidder at $325. Heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39783&item=3020360832
    Scott
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2003
    nice amp, Scott! good luck!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    dude just buy it,it's a great amp for that price.Find out what the buy now is and just do it....Remember it went for 699.99 new.
    Dan
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2003
    I picked up an older ST-1400 recently for $200 that I just finished checking out. Couple of minor face mars kept the price down. It was very nice sounding on initial listening. More serious audition is yet to come.

I have record of one ST2140 ebay auction. It was Item # 3011167314 Mint - US $380.75. You can paste the item number into an ebay search and the ad still comes up.

Good Luck… and beware of snipers...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by mantis
    Find out what the buy now is...

There isn't a "Buy Now" option. :rolleyes:

Been at the tea again, Dan?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    edited May 2003
    F1nut
    OOlong tea Earl Grey Tea, British Breakfast tea, it doesn't even matter what kind of tea I drink.............

I say buy the amp,make the dude an offer and get it,why wait on some one to out bid you?
    Dan
  • scottdawg
    edited May 2003
    I tried but the guy wouldnt budge. The amp went to someone else. Im still lookin tho.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    edited May 2003
    Scott -

Don't forget to check Audiogon's website as well. B&K amps come up pretty frequently on their site.

I love my B&K amp!:D
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Patience scott... Note that the winning bid was submitted 16 seconds before auction close (an amateur). You got sniped is all... a trick you need to learn.

Now you have two benchmark prices on the 2140, $380 and $390. Both winners likely had proxies in for a little more than that, but at least you have an idea what the range is for that amp in good condition. Based oon this range, if I were going after one, I'd bid at $400.01 with about five seconds left.

More will be along, anbd maybe they'll o cheaper. You never know on ebay... Patience...

And do look at Audiogon as smglbrth suggests. That "obo" tag is an open invitation to get a deal. Is that where you got your B&K smglbrth?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • scottdawg
    edited May 2003
    Tour,
    Im not in a hurry, dont get me wrong I would like everything now. I have to be patient, been burned to many times by jumping right into something. I'm not dead set on the 2140 either, the more I look the less I know. I will get a quality 2 ch. amp eventually.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    edited May 2003
    tour2ma -

Nope, bought the preamp used there though. Seems to be a decent sight with pretty stringent rules. One thing I really like about the sight is the grading system they use for the equipment. It's definitely a "higher grade" audio sight for auctions.
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    I had one ebay Seller I bought a TT from describe Audiogon as "a great place to buy high-end audio, but a lousy place to sell it."
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• bsmith15
    bsmith15 Posts: 23
    edited May 2003
    Have both purchased and sold on Audiogon and found it a great place for both.

As a seller, if you post an item with a "obo" pricing, I expect that I will get some low ball offers, but I just reject those and wait for a more reasonable offer. They do offer a "bluebook" look up (for a fee) where you can get info on what the item you are selling may be worth. I sold a pair of Polk RTI 38's a few months ago for about 75% of what I paid...still lost 25% but generated cash to help pay for the upgrade to the RTi 70's.

On the buy side where you can really pick up deals imo is on I/C's, Power Cords and Speaker Cable. I just upgraded three interconnects, a power cord and speaker cable to Acoustic zen Silver reference MkI, Tsunami II and Satori speaker cable. All were used, about one year old and the I/C's were not the new version Silver Ref MkII, but I paid around $1,500 for items that would have retailed for $4,400. All arrived in perfect condition (no shipping worries with this type of equipment) minimum wear, perfect connectors and already broken in.

As I said a great place to get rid of, and fund the upgrades of, items this damn hobby seems to generate.
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Thanks bsmith. I am looking at my first audiogon deal now. The ebay Seller I referred to was just referring to the action frenzy that can result when a fairly rare or unusually great condition piece is being sold. I guess you can get your price either place with a little persistence.

Notice you're an Ohio boy... Cleveland area born and raised here.

BTW, you still owe some pics of your 2 ch rig back in your "Thanks..." thread...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• bsmith15
    edited May 2003
    Tour2ma:

Actually from Central PA for 42 years...have been in Columbus for 4 years...really Ohio though.

Posted pic's in the System Showcase...Could not get them to load in a tread.
  • bsmith15
    edited May 2003
    Wow...composing is really bad tonight. What I meant was "I really like Ohio though" and "Could not get them to load in thread"

Sorry.
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Tough day, huh?

Central PA... so is it Eagles or Steelers? Please say Eagles...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• bsmith15
    edited May 2003
    Eagles.....Nothing like a 10 below wind chill day in December in the nose bleed section of Vets Stadium.
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Whew... in that case I can continue to be nice to you... Eagles are one of my favorite NFC teams. Can't say I care much for the Steelers, for reasons that should be apparent.

However, I am a total Flyers fan.... unfortunately.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited May 2003
    Eagles???:supermad:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk