UPS for power supply?

Options
amac11
amac11 Posts: 4
Hi, all. I'm new to Club Polk. Just got my RM7600 a few weeks ago. I like them. I was not permitted to get the RTI70s I wanted but these will do. They make good use of my HK AVR225's 55 w/ch.

I was reading the posts about using a dedicated circuit and the PS Audio power ports. I plan to run a new circuit soon and was wondering if anyone uses a UPS for their HT setup. Not so much for the battery backup but for the power condiitoning. Does this make any difference? Is it worthwhile, or should I just use the power ports? Should I use the UPS and a power port?

Also what UPS would be best. APC makes some good ones, I think. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Andrew
Post edited by amac11 on

Comments

• eulogyt00l
    eulogyt00l Posts: 45
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Hi, welcome to Club Polk! I did some checking into UPS a few months ago but I didn't think that they did enough line conditioning at all. So I got a Monster Power HTS-5100 and that thing is PERFECT. It's about the size of a tape deck (much, much smaller than a UPS) and it is strictly built for voltage monitoring and line conditioning. It is a little more expensive than a normal UPS but I got it on Ebay for about $400. which is a really good deal. Because the 5100 series is right at top of the line, and if you don't want to spend that much you could always go with a lower series. So you might want to look into something like that as an alternative unless you really want the 5min backup feature.
    Our Fathers are models for God. If our fathers bailed, what does that tell you about God?
    --Tyler Durder--
  • amac11
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I guess I'll just run the new circuit. I'd like to try the power ports. Does anyone know if they're really worth the significant premium over regular outlets? I can't imagine they could make so much difference, but I'm curious. I've got everything I need for the new circuit, except the power ports and some ambition.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2003
    Options
    amac11,
    I used the PS power port, I believe F1Nut also use them. Is it worthed? I believe they are for me. It has very tight grip, hospital grade, and looks great. Its benefit should be taken as part of the dedicated outlet as a complete ac path. An option would be to get a hospital grade receptacle from HD for about $15...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • amac11
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Polkatese,

Thanks for the input. I've been following your thread on the dedicated outlet. That's how I'll go. My house is ~30 years old and the electrical work is not great. I've been slowly going through and upgrading the electrical. But my new HT system requires more than just upgrades. It needs all new service So that's what it will get.

amac
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2003
    Options
    amac,
    Good luck with your dedicated outlet project, you'll like it.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • gacole2000
    gacole2000 Posts: 255
    edited April 2003
    Options
    amac-

Keep us posted. I have the same situation: older house with 2 prong outlets. I am looking into the same options.

Thanks- Greg
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V661
    DVD: Yamaha DV-C6480
    BR: Samsung 1600
    Mains: Polk RT55 (bi-amped)
    Center: CS300
    Sides: FX1000
    Rears: RT/FX
    Subs: SVS 20-39 PC+ 12.3 & DIY SVS 12.2
    Projector: Optoma HD70 w/ 106" Elite Screen
    Power: Panamax MAX 5100
    Remote: Harmony One