Some pipe, ingenuity and some hair pulling

Options
paymontna
paymontna Posts: 188
edited June 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
This is day one of a four day (so far) project. It will be well worth it. I probably have $250 in pipe, but I figure a custom built stand such as this would have cost me near $1000. You can see the mess I started with. This was a result of a hurried set-up and neglect. The last frame is the end of day 1. I will post more when I get time. the project is almost 90% complete. Taking a break so that I have the will power to exercise proper cable management this time.
And I mean calling all cars, blackhawk down, mushroom cloud, Three Mile Island, lock the door behind you kind of mad.:mad:
Post edited by paymontna on

Comments

• TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Love the wiring job!

attachment.php?attachmentid=33905&d=1213700358

So what exactly are you doing?
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • paymontna
    edited June 2008
    Options
    I started with a pile of 1 inch pipe. I have made a stand for my 52 inch Samsung 6 that cantilevers out from the wall. Then I have built in a audio rack that will be hidden behind the screen. The only things that are visible are the speakers.
    And I mean calling all cars, blackhawk down, mushroom cloud, Three Mile Island, lock the door behind you kind of mad.:mad:
  • paymontna
    edited June 2008
    Options
    End of day 2. Frame of rack is built and anchored into the wall and the floor. The audio shelf is put into place and the wiring begins.
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited June 2008
    Options
    I like the idea of hiding all the equipment. do we realy need to look at glowing lights?

that is a real male set up. women would cringe.

keep us posted.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited June 2008
    Options
    You might want to paint that up before you load it up. That pipe will rust. Neat Idea...
  • paymontna
    edited June 2008
    Options
    amulford wrote: »
    You might want to paint that up before you load it up. That pipe will rust. Neat Idea...

Yep..The other mistake besides not painting it first, was not wiping the pipes down good. I wiped them down before I put my equipment on it, but not before it blackened my hands. I also need a way to bounce by remote signals behind the tv. I can control everything the way it is, but not without some aiming...LOL.

Pay
  • paymontna
    edited June 2008
    Options
    bikezappa wrote: »
    I like the idea of hiding all the equipment. do we realy need to look at glowing lights?

that is a real male set up. women would cringe.

keep us posted.

Resident Female Reply......" The TV WILL fall!!".....I weigh 200+ lbs and I pulled myself up by the pipes before I hung the TV, not to mention that it is counter-weighted by the amps. It is offset from the pipes by a good 12 inches so that the pipes are not prevalent over the TV.
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited June 2008
    Options
    [QUOTE=paymontna; I also need a way to bounce by remote signals behind the tv. I can control everything the way it is, but not without some aiming...LOL.

Pay[/QUOTE]

you need to get a radio shack IR to RF to IR repeater for remote control of electronics behind walls.

they are on ebay all the time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Radio-Shack-Wireless-IR-Remote-Extender-Model-15-1950_W0QQitemZ120270547603QQihZ002QQcategoryZ61323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • paymontna
    edited June 2008
    Options
    The end of day three. The TV is hung firmly in place. My only concern is the SVS PB+2 rocking the hell out of the TV with it being placed directly underneath. You can see the sturdiness of the hardware that I used. I used 12 @1.5 inch lag screws just to mount the 2x12 for the TV bracket.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited June 2008
    Options
    At first I thought you were gonna try to snake the wires thru the pipe!
    I was thinking of doing something similar w/2", so I could snake the wires, but...It's just easier to buy it! Have fun.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • paymontna
    edited June 2008
    Options
    I am going to drill in selective spots and snake the wire so that it is out of sight from the viewing area. I was going to go with 2" pipe, but it would have been total overkill and there are far fewer pre-threaded lengths and fittings to choose from.