Speaker Switch

Pablo
Pablo Posts: 723
I just bought a new system (listed bellow), and went with the Denon because it had a "2 zone" feature. The problem is that the 2nd zone uses the back surrounds, so if I hook up my outside speakers, I lose my back surrounds.

Does anyone know of a speaker switch that I can use to be able to switch between the 2 sets of speakers? Can something like that be easily made? Is it something that should be done at all?

Thanks.
Denon AVR-3803
RTi-70 Fronts
FXi-30 Surrounds
RTi-38 Back Surrounds
Csi-40 Center
PSW350 Sub
Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
Denon DVD-2910
Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
Post edited by Pablo on

Comments

• TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited April 2003
    Wow...what a system. Where's the center channel?

As for the 2-Zone thing, I think that's pretty crappy how Denon has it set up. Most Zone-2 recievers have a pre-amp out section that allows you to run to an external amp and from there, you can run your Zone 2 speaks. If that doesn't apply here, then it sounds like you may need to get (as you mentioned) a speaker selector. I know that Monster Cable carries a Multi-Speaker Selector. You can pick it up at CC here. I don't have any personal experience with the product but it sounds like this is what you need if you can't/don't get the Zone-2 pre-amp to a Powered Amp option working...

Tony
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Are you trying to actually hear different material outside? Does the Denon not have a 'B' output? That kinda seems defeating for 2nd zone to be your rears? Most people have their ht rears in the same room as the mains, no? (being critical of Denon's design, if I understand correctly)

What am I missing here?

Yes, you can buy an el-cheapo speaker switch for under $40 (or spend as much as you want).

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited April 2003
    Thanks for the replies.

I am able to run another amp to it instead of the using the zone 2 speaker outs only, but that kind of kills the whole thing. I already have enough buttons and switches (my wife can't even figure out how to watch tv), I really didn't want to run another amp. The speakers I am using for zone 2 are actually right outside the room the AV setup (in the hot tub room), so it seems kind of silly to stack another amp right on top of this one.

I do have a B channel, but that doesn't allow the 2nd component to be played at the same time (you would have to listen outside to what you are listening to inside). That is what I did yesterday just to get some tunes cranking. I guess Denon wanted to give a full 110W to the zone 2 and still give you 5.1 surround with 110W a channel.

P.S. No seperate center yet. Right now I use the TV (it's ok, but not matched at all). I will buy one soon, but this system was already over budget. I only went this crazy because everything was 30%-40% at a big local chain that was going out of busness. They only had a CSi20 center, and I thought that was a little whimpy. (previsously I only had a pioneer system that was $499 for the entire thing).
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited April 2003
    Russ... unless I'm not understanding either, the 3802 I have is setup the same... the 6th and 7th outs are used for the 2nd zone. So it's 6.1 or 7.1 and no 2nd zone, or 5.1 and a 2nd zone.

Pablo... as a side note, to help the wife approval factor of getting frustrated with all the options, try having your Denon remote learn the other components (at least the TV). I used the macros to either turn everything off or everything on at the same time. Hitting the 1st macro will turn on the TV, the receiver, and the DSS. I'm assuming the 3802/ 3803 remotes are about the same. She really, really likes this...