Hookup Advice

Options
Lsi9
Lsi9 Posts: 616
edited April 2003 in Speakers
hey guys I have a couple of questions

is it considered Bi-amping when I use a SAE 2 ch amp for the mids and my denon receiver drives the tweets (top binding posts)?

also Im using a 200 watt Yamaha on my surrounds (LS-FX) which are rated at a 100 watts, so far no problems...is it ok to do this?

Audio Physic Scorpio II
Pathos Logos
MIT Shotgun S3
Bada HD-22 CDP
Post edited by Lsi9 on

Comments

• Lsi9
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Im asking again for the advice ;)

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • byteme
    byteme Posts: 73
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Yup, you are bi-amping. You've got a separate amp channel running the low/mid and the highs.

As for the surrounds, you should be fine with this. Although it exceeds the power spec of the speakers, it is far more dangerous to use a smaller amp, clip it and send the speaker a bad signal than it is to use too much power that is clean. I can't imagine that you'd ever drive the surrounds so far that you'd blow them up. That being said, I might reconfigure things so that the outboard amps did the bi-amping and the receiver drives all the surrounds and the center. It would clean up the two channel for you. I'd also use the Yamaha for the low end and the SAE for the tweets since you'll want the higher power to control the larger drivers. Just my $.02
  • Lsi9
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Wow...pretty good advice, Thank you very much. I never thought of doing that...is it possible with only 1 set of pre-outs for the L/R channels? maybe there is a loop hole somehow?

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,461
    edited April 2003
    Options
    LSi9 - How do you like the LSi9's? Do you have them on stands or walls? It's a neat looking little speaker. I've never heard them but the reviews are good.

Sound is relative, I know, but what is your take on them?
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Lsi,
    Can do on the one pre-out set question. Pair of Y-splitter interconnects will be required.
    Only thing I'm wondering is whether shifting so much of your power to the mains is warranted if the Hsu is handling all your deep base. Is your AVR set for all speakers to "small"?
    I don't know your Denon. What's it's amps' rating? Is the center channel already being out muscled?
    Hope I'm not mucking things up more for you...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Lsi9
    edited April 2003
    Options
    yes it is set to small...& thank you for the idea with y splitter...the Lsi9's are built with quality that for under 700$ you can't find anywhere....yesterday I tried to edge the sound out by pushing the volume way up and no dice...it sounded even cleaner when loud...the imaging is superb...if you like treble more than mid-range (which I do) then these are your speakers...they remind me of a much more expensive pair of Monitor Audio bookshelfs...you can't go wrong for the money

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by byteme
    Yup, you are bi-amping. You've got a separate amp channel running the low/mid and the highs.

True but, and there is always a but... right;)

I have read that actual biamping implies the removal of the internal crossovers from the speakers and run external crossovers prior to the amp stage. Why do that... Hell if I know?

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***