Need recomendations for used CD player purchase

Options
tgoodley
tgoodley Posts: 13
edited April 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Hello Everybody,
I am looking to buy a used cd player for around $300 dollars. I really dont want /need a SACD or DVD-A compatible player. I am just looking to get the nicest player for my money. At this point, I am looking at models by Adcom and NAD but would really like opinions on any other brands.
Thanks,
Tim
Tim
Post edited by tgoodley on

Comments

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I have an NAD 521 that I am pretty happy with. you can probably get it for $300 new. However you can probably get its big brother the NAD 541 or 541i for $300 used...

If you want to spend a little more cash get a used Arcam CD72 for 400-500. this CDP is outstanding!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Wade Spradley
    Wade Spradley Posts: 81
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Hello,

I am in the same boat basically looking for a very good cd-player with out the extra consumer frills. I am basically looking at the older Marantz cd63 and cd67series. But I am curious about other brands, its been awhile since I've purchased a new player. But this time I want to get a really decent unit. For some reason I want to stick to Marantz, but maybe someone can make a few points and point me to some other reviews on either some of the Newer verses Older cd units out there?
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited April 2003
    Options
    i have a yamaha cdx-1100rs it was made in 88-89 and has duel power trans. one for digital one for analog. it was made to compete with the sony es models it weights in at 35lbs! there are alot of these type of cd players on ebay and the net. they have a "full" sound rather then the tinny sounded players of today. just my .02.

scott:cool:
  • abenedicto
    abenedicto Posts: 55
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I was able to purchase a Sony 222es CD/SACD player from JandR for $339 shipped. I think it's very good as a CD player and SACD is a GREAT bonus :) It also comes with a 5 year warranty.
    think before you speak....peace always

Yamaha htr-5740
    Sony 222es (sacd/cd)
    Velodyne CT-10 (sub)
    JVC 48WP74 (HDTV)
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2003
    Options
    abenedicto,
    congrats on the purchase! it's a solid machine, with mod potential down the road...also, give you a chance to try out SACD, you'll like it.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • scottdawg
    scottdawg Posts: 166
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I just purchased a used California Audio Labs DX-1 for $200. I have only had it a couple of days now, the difference between it and my previous 5-disc cheapo from sams is like day and night. It is a basic unit just like I wanted and performs very nice. Highly recommended.
  • abenedicto
    abenedicto Posts: 55
    edited April 2003
    Options
    polkatese, thanks. I upgraded from a previous SACD player, the ce775. (I was an early adopter of both formats).
    think before you speak....peace always

Yamaha htr-5740
    Sony 222es (sacd/cd)
    Velodyne CT-10 (sub)
    JVC 48WP74 (HDTV)
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2003
    Options
    abenedicto, then you've experience the beauty of the formats. I saw a 999es for $900 on the other thread, that is a sweet machine....*note to self: resist the temptation*
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by scottdawg
    It is a basic unit just like I wanted and performs very nice. Highly recommended.

Excellent Purchase! BTW, there is nothing basic about Cal Audio. My CL 20, bought used also gets a workout. I'm thinking about buying 1 of their tube cd players for the hell of it. The wife will KILL!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I would highly recommend a Sony 400 CD changer. They cost from $600 to $300 new. The Sony ES changer is great. It is a new way to listen to music not to mention all the space you will save getting rid of the plastic boxes. I can listen on the random mode for hours. It takes a few hours to set up the eight groups but worth it. Track delete is priceless! I would only buy new however.
  • tgoodley
    tgoodley Posts: 13
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Anyone have any experience with the Pioneer Elite PD-65. It certainly looks like a nice player.
    Tim
  • Wade Spradley
    Wade Spradley Posts: 81
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Well, it seems I narrowed my purchase down a bit. I am really looking at the NAD C521i, since the reviews I have read online make me see that the price and unit is a decent audiophile complement to the system I am building. The NAD C541i seems to be a really nice player but I not sure how much of a visual sound difference it would make. Any opinions would appreciated from those that have heard these units. I have been wanting to stick with Marantz but am have a hard time finding continental US dealerships that handle their stuff online. Especially the Marantz CD 6000 series of players.

Also, since I am finding it hard to find any local dealers that handle the higher end audiophile equipment, I am left to online reviews to make an opinion. Its a hard decision with using your eye's for your ears online.