Speaker Cable

Wade Spradley
Wade Spradley Posts: 81
edited May 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I have a question regarding speaker cable. I have picked up some newer Monster XP speaker cable, just because I know its definitely better sounding than the generally cheaper Radio Shack variant. Especially from previous experience with both. The real question is, is thicker wire better than thinner? Or single strand better than multi-stranded type cable? These are a couple of question I was curious about.

I have a pair of Monitor 7 series II, I am going to use with a Marantz 2225 receiver. And hopefully a better grade of CD player. And a Marantz 5030B cassette deck. This is a modest audiophile system and it gives me room to dream and listen on a conservative budget. The Marantz 5030B I've had since 1980 and it still sounds great, but the ancient dolby suppression is inadequate. Can anyone advise of newer or older noise suppression systems? Such as dbx etc...any comments would be appreciated.:D
Post edited by Wade Spradley on

Comments

• jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited April 2003
    Hey Wade,

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you noticed how many members have read your post, and not responded. It's because I think most of us no longer use cassettes or noise reduction. When the CD players arrived they took over, much as the DVD is doing to the VHS tapes. The extended dynamic range, and ease of use were no match. Keep searching perhaps someone will be able to assist you. I didn't want you to think we didn't get your question. Most of us however, don't have the answer.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited April 2003
    Oh yea,

As far as the speaker wire goes, That is, and will remain, an on going discussion here on the forum. For me a rule of thumb is "you can only get out what you put in". Each and every componet is important. I think each should complement the other.
    What's most important is that you listen to different types, and decide which it is that you enjoy. Good Luck
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited April 2003
    I don't see anything wrong with the speaker wire you have. It should be fine. I still use my cassette deck (Sony K707ES), and I always use my "Dolby S" noise reduction. That has the least amount of distortion.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited April 2003
    Tape decks aren't easy to find anymore, but here is one of the best......http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?misccass&1053561497

As stated, the speaker wire debate goes on and on and on.......
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited April 2003
    I would never spend $750 for that. It doesn't even have Dolby S or HX Pro. Here's some info for you w/ regards to the diff't types of NR.

DOLBY B, C, AND S NOISE REDUCTION SYSTEMS
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2003
    NAK Dragon sets the standard back in late 70's early 80's. I used to own one back in the 80's. Very capable unit, expensive to repair, and definitely had passed its time. Nevertheless, it was the SCD-1 equivalent of today's cd. I am surprised somebody still has one in working order after all this time...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited April 2003
    Hey Polkatese The Dragon Rocked....Tandberg was also a top shelfer.
    Wade in some part answer to your question...Xp for me in my opinion and in my taste was a good starter wire, but you will notice a difference everytime you use a different wire and upgrade.... I personally have read several reviews lately on speaker wire and what I was reading is that too much wire can bog down your system or come off sounding dull or lifeless...Case in point I recently purchased a pair of Kimber 4tc's which reviews were out standing overall...then there is a version of the same wire by the same company I believe it might of been the 8tc that is just the 4tc doubled up...several overall reviews found it to be somewhat flat and not as open sounding.
    You will find though that every wire will sound different with different amps and speaks.
    Good Luck..Enjoy Stuff
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Stuffmd,
    yes, Tandberg was the other one! Those are the standards of Audiophile...

Wade,
    MonsterXP is definitely a good starting point. As a general rule for me, thicker is better and multi-strand is the way to go. I upgraded from XP to Monster Custom biwire R4-CL, to SignalCable biwire. The biggest noticable improvement was from XP to R4-CL, from there to SC the main improvement difference is increase soundstage and more defined low ends. Don't ask me why or how since I won't be able to scientifically explain them. At this point, I have decided to stop at SignalCable for my speaker cable/IC/PowerCord needs, at least for the next few years till I am ready to move up to the Martin Logan class....
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited April 2003
    Chris,

The Dragon is still a sweet machine and still worth the money.

F1
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2003
    Harmon Kardon made some really nice 20 - 20K tape decks in the '80s.

Dolby B - didn't care for it. Cut off too much of the highs.

Dobly C was better than B and what I used the most because you could play it in other tape decks without distortion.

Dolby DBX was very dynamic but sounded too "fake" to me. Plus if you recorded in DBX and tried to play back on a tape deck without DBX it sounded terrible.

Dolby S I never experienced because at the time it was getting popular I started buying cds (circa 1986); I had an older model Technics that was 25 - 18,000 hz and the Dolby C suited me fine for the time.

Dolby S was supposed to be the best though from what I can recall.

Whew!!! tape decks. how the world has changed! I never owned an eight track though.

PJ
  • Wade Spradley
    edited April 2003
    Hello,

Thanks for the replies, I am learning. I had tried a lengthier reply but it got wiped when I posted it. Must've hit a wrong button. Oh well, I'll attempt another repost of the reply later.

Thanks again.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2003
    Wade Spradley (if that is in fact your real name)...

First off Welcome... you’ll love growing your system here.

As for the speaker wire part of your question that’s gone wanting, multi-strand's big advantage is resistance to breakage, but that aside go with your ears and your budget.

As for your tapes, a new deck is not going to help the sound of your old recordings significantly and its too late to add an external processor to help them. If you're still recording, then do look at Dolby S and HX Pro decks as many have suggested. I bought a 3-motor/ 3-head AIWA AD-S950 a few years ago that's got it all including killer spec's. No idea what they go for nowadays, but they weren't that much new. Great value...

IMO the best thing you can do for your old Marantz deck, and your current tape collection, is to buy it a dbx dynamic range expander. These were coming across ebay pretty steadily a couple months ago, and there are several there now of various models including 1bx, 2bx and 3bx of different series as well as a DS or two. Just run an ebay search on “dbx”.

I own the 3bxIII, which added impact restoration to the mix, and it does great things to old tapes by itself, and damn near miraculous things when combined with a decent equalizer. Expect to pay $150-250 for the 3bxIII depending on condition and competition, which is still down some at present. Most of the other models should go cheaper, but I have little data on them. There’s one 1bx that’s out of line at ~$160, I’d pass by.

Happy hunting…
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Wade Spradley
    edited April 2003
    Hello,

I want to say thanks again for the responses. The Polk board gremlin has hit again. My response was wiped. I guess its down to composing in word before I place my response to the board.

Regards,
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2003
    That used to happen to me. My connection kept timing out while I was composing my reply. One remedy is to exit the last open window and after a few seconds a window comes up and asks if you wish to stay connected. If you hit yes then the timeout is much longer. At least that is how mine works. Welcome to the polk site!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    If I have put alot of time into a post I'll simply select my memo, go to edit and then copy before hitting the submit reply button. 1 simple step first can save 15 minutes of effort.

Welcom to the Forum.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Wade Spradley
    edited April 2003
    Hello to all,

Thanks for welcoming me to the board.

Yes, my name is as stated. I did not realize I could have an alias when I signed up, so I’ll keep the current one, it’s the one my parents gave me.

As for cassette decks, I confess I have another one it’s a 3 head, YAMAHA KX-390 ($350 at the time and $450 downtown, I purchased it at an Audio Video fair at Hickam AFB, Hawaii when I was stationed there as well as the Polk 5jr’s at the base BX for $225/$250pair if I remember right).

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gKAP00010KX-390

The Yamaha deck I purchased it in 1991, with my first pair of Polk speakers the 5jr’s, which I still have. Currently the Yamaha and speakers are under a mild workout at my parents, with my dad’s early 1970’s Kenwood 50 watt receiver. The Yamaha, has dolby B/C, and almost makes you want to think it’s a CD when used in dolby C. At least to my ears that is.

I am definitely interested in the 3bx idea, to augment and enhance the use of the Marantz 5030B cassette deck,

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/5030b.html

there is something about those piano keys and VU meters that make you feel good and go with the music. Its retro styling make you notice it, not to mention its size.

A question about the 3bx, is there a series, I’ve noticed references to 3bx series II, and a 3bx series III? In my research on the web about them.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by Wade Spradley
    Yes, my name is as stated. I did not realize I could have an alias when I signed up, so I’ll keep the current one, it’s the one my parents gave me.
    Just messing with you a bit... Number of real names in use here ;)
    Originally posted by Wade Spradley
    I am definitely interested in the 3bx idea, to augment and enhance the use of the Marantz 5030B cassette deck,

A question about the 3bx, is there a series, I’ve noticed references to 3bx series II, and a 3bx series III? In my research on the web about them.
    There are at least three series in the dbx 3bx model. The series III added the impact restoration. I'm not sure if there is any real difference between the original 3bx and the series II beyond cosmetic (slide pots vs. rotary).

All have controls for expansion factor and the level at which the expanding occurs. They are very easy to set and very effective, if not abused. As with an Equalizer you can over do it and get an unnatural sound.

As for the model numbers, 1bx, 2bx, etc., they all refer to how many different frequency ranges are individually expanded. They actually made 4 and 5bx models as well. Price goes up with the number, but the expansion factor is controlled by one knob in all models.

I mentioned earlier that paired with an Eq they can really bring old tapes to life. Years ago I demo’d the 3bxIII with their then top of the line computerized Eq (I think it was the model 3030, but am not sure). Source was an old tape recorded on my original Sony dolby B deck. Tape was rolling off at ~12k and dead above 15k except for a low hiss. They boosted the high end with the Eq to the point of being unlistenable and then kicked in the 3bx and it was just amazing. Put the 3bxIII on my buy list in about 2 seconds flat.

Let me know if you have more questions…
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited April 2003
    i have a yamaha tape deck and you can use dolby b or c and it has a thing called play trim (trick circuitry) and when you kick in the dolby you can turn the knob to bring the treble and mids back out--
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
  • Wade Spradley
    edited April 2003
    Well, I visited a pawn shop this morning and saw a Dbx 1bxIII for $50.00. With knobs. They had some other dbx items but I did not pay too much attention to them. I am still looking around but the IIIbxIII sounds like the way to go though.
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    I still have a dbx 1bx-ds dynamic controller, not using it anymore, but it can cure underperforming tape source quite significantly...but it can be fatiqueing to listen to.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2003
    Wade,
    If that 1bxIII is in good condition I'd suggest you snap it up. It'd be a great intro to the technology and should be resellable for what the pawn shop is asking... of course I'd negotiate with them on the price, but $50 isn't that bad, if it's in very good shape.

Polka,
    I'm not familiar with the ds series and just starting to notice them on ebay. Did they follow the III's? From what I have read on them, I can't see what they offered that the III's did not. Can you shed some light here?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Tour,
    honestly, a good friend of mine (an audioholic too) gave this to me about 7 years ago, initially not quite sure what it does, so I hooked it up, and boy, it was great. What it does is allowing you to adjust dynamics, impact recovery, and ambience. Since I don't have the manual, I was just experimenting with it. It's a 1-band dynamic range controller. I'll take a pic tomorrow if you like. It allows me to make the low-ends tighter, Especially with satellite speakers.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2003
    Polka,
    Think you've partially answered my question. Looks like the ds's added ambience to the mix (whatever that is).
    I own a 3bxIII.
    If you can explain the ambience function, that'd help me.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Wade Spradley
    edited April 2003
    Tour2ma,

I think I will go look at it again this weekend, they have some other dbx items there to at $50 ea for about everything they got. They have a dbx controller there if I remember right and a couple of other curious dbx additions that look interesting. If I am ambitious enough maybe I can get a deal on a couple of items. I figure its worth a try, especially if the item work. So I'll check them out.
  • Wade Spradley
    edited April 2003
    Hello again,

I went to the pawn shop and came back with the DBX II Model 128 Dynamic Range Enhancer Noise Reduction System, and a DBX 200XG Program Route Selector for a whopping $85.00. I thought it was a pretty reasonable purchase. The 1bxIII did not look too appealing when I looked it over. There was a plain 1bx there as well, an earlier version I believe. The also had the DBX 224 Encoder and Decoder which I passed up. Saw another one in another pawn shop just looking around today.

On another note while I was about looking around I found at the good will a Teac AN-60 Dolby Noise reduction unit. I paid the astronomical high price of $5.00 for it. Almost broke my pocket book. Luckily I had change in the wallet. At least it will give me something else to play with and compare note's. But I feel that the DBX stuff will win hand's down though. Not much info on it on the web. Same with the DBX II Model 160, just a few note without going out and purchasing the manuals.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2003
    Great let us know.
    I am especially curious about the 128. I am not familiar with that model. I was thinking that it is one of their systems designed for tape recording and playback.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Wade Spradley
    edited April 2003
    Tour

From what I can tell online, the 128 is used for that, as describe on this page

http://www.ewi-evi.com/expand.htm

Also here is a picture of it,

http://www.4sync.com/rc/picdisplay.asp?itemkey=1211

The one I have has the classier wood paneling on the sides.

Its going to be a little while until I get my Audio gear together. It’s a 10+ hour trip to my parents and a weekend jaunt is a little taxing. But I will be taking a vacation in the near future and will have to report on it then. After I have gathered everything together. And will have to post some pictures later as well.

I have really enjoyed this. I am watching for that Dbx 3bxIII.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2003
    Thanks Wade... sounds to be the equivalent of the 1bx. Hope it fills the need you were describing.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    edited April 2003
    IMO, as far as tape decks go, the best deck I ever owned was an Onkyo Integra TA-2600. On a good metal tape I could get a recording very close to CD sound, from a CD source of course. The guy I sold it to still owns it and won't part with it for much anything. Dang, shouldn't have sold that........
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Wade Spradley
    edited April 2003
    Well the Yamaha Deck I own will do metal tapes, but metal tapes are next to impossible to find now. But the Marantz 5030B will do chrome. And that seems to be the best tapes it will play with next to pre-recorded tapes. Forget the cheaper stuff it (5030B) eats them for breakfast and doesn't think twice about it either. From what I understand the best deck a person owns (practically applies to anything) is the one you put the most money in because it was the best you could afford at the time. I've been there and done that with speakers. I had a pair of early 80's Sansui's each with a titanium horn tweeter and 13 inch woofer (a five speaker four way type) that I sold just because they were not being used, since I had them in storage. Little did I know I would be moving off base later, and the person I sold them too did not want to sell them back either. But they had the sound too and you did not have to apply much volume to hear them either. But I find I really enjoy my Polk's.