yamaha 5550 upgrade

Options
jeepdog
jeepdog Posts: 6
edited April 2003 in Electronics
hello,i have a yamaha htr-5550 with polk rti38's front and rear with the csi30 and looking to upgrade the 5550 have around 800 to spend.factory REFURBISHED a good idea?
Post edited by jeepdog on

Comments

• TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Don't think I understand... If you have a 5550, then why do you want to upgrade to a 5550?
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Tony,

I think what he is saying is that he has a 5550 and has a budget of $800 and was considering remanufactured receivers as an option.

Jeepdog,

What's your main objective in upgrade? More power, different sound??

What kind of receivers are you considering.

You have a lot of options at $800. I would buy refurbished if it came with a warranty (at least a year).

PJ
  • jeepdog
    edited April 2003
    Options
    yes thats what i was saying looking for some better sound and some more power i'm kind loyal to yamaha. but i have heard denon. just new to this and don't want to be pushed into some thing the salesman is trying get rid of. want to be able to build around it for a while to come
  • pjdami
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Hey Jeepdog,

Welcome to the forum bud. There are a lot of people here who can give you great advice. I'm relatively new here too and have learned a lot from these guys in the past couple of months.

What model Denon did you listen to? Are you talking about a factory refurbished 3803?? How did the Denon sound to you (like / dislike). There are a lot of happy Denon folks on here that also own Polk RT speakers. I've never personally listened to the combo but have owned Denon products in the past and was / am happy with them.

I basically had the same rig as you recently. I had RT35i's on the fronts and a CSi245 center running on an older Yamaha receiver from about eight years ago. Then I bought an Onkyo receiver about two years ago. Then I bought a Yamaha RX-V1300 a couple of months ago. Then I decided that wasn't enough and I went all out experimenting around with what was out there. I've listened to a lot of stuff here recently.

For an $800 budget, the best receiver that I listened to was a NAD 752. Good clean sound that doesn't add any coloration to the music.

Its hard for us to give advice unless you tell us more about what you are looking for in your sound. If you are just worried about getting scammed by the salesman just let us know what you are thinking of getting before you buy it. We can give advice and our own experiences / opinions but ultimately your ears will decide. Do some reading in the electronics section of the forum and you will get some good ideas on what to go and listen to. Most of all, take your time and don't make a hasty decision.

PJ
  • jeepdog
    edited April 2003
    Options
    ok the polks sound good but it seams that i don't get the full use out of them.in some of the music they sound like they are missing some thing. just don't sound full. is the best way i describe it. and dvds sound good just not as clean as i had hoped. i could use better wire but moveing soon. so i what to wait tell then.
  • pjdami
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Jeepdog,

I reread your system and it looks like you don't have a subwoofer. Correct? A sub adds dramatic experience for Home Theater DVD viewing. For two channel audio, a powered sub helps free up some receiver power / dynamic range when you cross over your RT38i's at 80 hz and set them to small.

This ones a tough call at a $800 / budget. If you want a fuller sound, like more bass, I would consider looking at a subwoofer first. You can find some pretty cheap now a days... This might be what you are after....

Do you mostly listen to music or watch movies with your system?

PJ
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Jeepdog,

Where in WA are you? Welcome to the forum!
  • jeepdog
    edited April 2003
    Options
  • jeepdog
    edited April 2003
    Options
    no i just didn't list it. i have a yamaha 8in sub. will upgrade that at a later time. when the wife lets me take up more space!
  • pjdami
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Jeepdog,

For $800 this is what I would put on an audition list:

If you like the Yamaha sound: RX-V1300; you can get one for a little over $500 on the internet and then get a better sub too. I've had this rig and didn't care for it though. My opinion though.

Denon 2803 or 3803 (lot of happy Denon owners with Polk RT speakers)

Pioneer Elite VSX-43tx

Marantz 7200; refurbished on the internet for $499.

NAD 752 (highly recommended you give a listen too if you can find a local dealer); great mid-fi gear and ability to drive low impedance speakers for future "growth"; not enough money to get the sub after this purchase but still a great receiver. NAD was going to be my choice if I hadn't gotten the Rotel 1055.

PJ