Got my first vinyl album, now ready for turntable...

organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited April 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Hello there analog heads! Last week I received 2 copies of Tristania's "World of Glass" LP's fron Austria. I decided to purchase two because it's limited to 1000 copies worldwide. If you're interested in the LP, I will supply you the link. They are gothic/symphonic/operatic metal from Norway with one of the best soprano of all time. Now I'm really juiced up.

Here's my question...In a few months I will be getting a Rega P3. I know it doesn't come with a stylus so I will be gettin one and have the dealer install it for me. I have a NAD C160 pre and it has 2 phono inputs, one labeled MC and the other MM and a ground connection. So can I just hook up the P3 straight into the phono input or do I need to purchase a phono pre amp as well??? Do I have to buy interconnects with the P3 or are they supplied with a pair soldered to the player?

Thanx

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited April 2003
    Here's the link to the Rega P3 setup:
    http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm
    Should be OK even though it says P2 setup.
    As far which phono input, depends on whether you use a MM or MC cartridge (millivolts vs. microvolts)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    millivolts? MM is the weaker of the two, right?

Moving Magnet and Moving Coil?

No, you don't need a phono preamp, you have one built in the NAD.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Paul Connor
    Paul Connor Posts: 231
    edited April 2003
    Maurice,

I own the Rega P3 and I would recomend using a Rega Cartridge with it. They are easy to set up and the sound....oh, the sound.

Here is a link for you.

http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm

You can order Rega stuf here and they are great to deal with:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/

Paul
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited April 2003
    Russman,
    Some Moving Coil cartridges output .5 millivolts or 500 microvolts (.0005 volts), while most Moving Magnet cartridges output 4 or more millivolts (.004 volts). Just may sure you plug into the correct input or it will sound TOO loud or TOO low because of the incorrect gain.
  • organ
    edited April 2003
    Thanks a lot for the reply guys. I'll have a look at those links later on tonight after I do my homework. I forgot to ask the salesman if they carry Rega cartridges. He just told me that their cartridges start at $150CDN. Again, thanx for your help. I'll be sure to let you guys know everyting once I get the TT.

Maurice
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2003
    I chose the goldring 1042 because it was cheap ($160 used or $400 new) and because I've heard it is the cheap choice for most turtables as well as having been seen on many very expensive setups. So far I can't see any real downside to it for the price. (unfortunatly it is the only one I've heard though...)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2003
    Buying vinyl over mail order?:confused: I'm sure you pay a premium on vinyl like we used to pay to buy a CD. I'm staying in the digital world baby!
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by wallstreet
    I'm staying in the digital world baby!

No sweat off our backs, just a shame you won't ever hear what those LS90's are *really* capable of... ;)

Cheers,
    Russ

(edited, I had some MAJOR spelling issues, forgive me, I was surfing the tweeter site at the same time) ha-ha
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • tonygeno
    tonygeno Posts: 34
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by organ
    Hello there analog heads! Last week I received 2 copies of Tristania's "World of Glass" LP's fron Austria. I decided to purchase two because it's limited to 1000 copies worldwide. If you're interested in the LP, I will supply you the link. They are gothic/symphonic/operatic metal from Norway with one of the best soprano of all time.

Better than Tebaldi, Callas, Caballe, Nilsson, Freni, ...? :lol:
  • organ
    edited April 2003
    Tony,
    I don't just listen to metal. I listen to real opera as well, so I know how good some sopranos are. Tristania is not mass market, garbage metal. They are very big in Norway, same with Nightwish(another great soprano) who's newest album went platinum on the day it came out in Finland.
    There is something about Vibeke's(Tristania)style of singing that makes her very special. "Trist" in Norwegian means sad and this is exactly what her style of singing is. Very atmospheric, mellow and just beautiful in some parts. The band even consists of several alto's and tenors as wel as a famous Irish fiddler and sometimes a small piece orchestra.

*edit* madmax, I forgot your post there for a minute. I'm stll not sure what cartridge I'll be getting, but a cartridge that's $400 retail is a litle steep for now. I will probably start with something around $300CDN. Thanx for the suggestion though.

Russman, I had no idea you were into analog. For some reason I always thought you were a "digital" guy. Which TT do you own?

Maurice
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2003
    I have a couple Sony's from the 80's in the closet, loaned my mom a belt-drive Pioneer (can't think of the model number).

I use a Quadraflex Reference 620T, Direct Drive table in the whole-house rig right now. I've been eyeballing the entry level Music Hall and Rega, I need a couple more tables for 'other' rigs.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • tonygeno
    tonygeno Posts: 34
    edited April 2003
    Maurice:
    I'll search them out and give them a try.
    Tony
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2003
    I've got this old Loverboy album I've been dying to listen to. The records a little scratched cuz in college I used to fill up the album with baby powder and then slip it under people's doors and blow baby powder all over the room. :lol:

BTW, a TT ain't going to make my 90's sing, a new amp will definitely help though.:D
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited April 2003
    Organ,

There's a record show in Mississauga this Sunday the 13th. I'm not sure on the details but if you're interested I'll find out for you. I'm headed there. Can't wait to see what I can pick up.

Derick.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • organ
    edited April 2003
    dcarlson,
    **** man! I guess I found out a little too late. I have to work on Sunday and in order to get a day off I have to tell the boss a week in advance. Thanx for the notice.

Maurice
  • dcarlson
    edited April 2003
    That's too bad, I'll let you know how it was. I'm sure there will be others.

Derick.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • organ
    edited April 2003
    Hey Tony, no need to search. Here are some links....

Tristania's official site: www.tristania.com

Tristania's "World of Glass" LP available here: https://ssl.kundenserver.de/s7992294.shoplite.de/sess/utn153e821949526dd/shopdata/index.php3

Therion: www.megatherion.com
    Therion consists of a full blown orchestra and choir. A must have for all opera fans. Their change into operatic metal starts with the album "Theli"(more metal though). You should really check out their album "Secrets of the Runes". The Swedish choir is just amazing and they really connect to me emotionally.

Those are two great bands. If you're interested, I'll give you more links.

Maurice
  • organ
    edited April 2003
    Can't believe I forgot. Here's one of my favorite: www.nightwish.com

The soprano is so damn good in this band. She may actually be better than Tristania's frontwoman! Her voice is the dreamiest ever. They did a cover of "The Phantom of the Opera" and their newest release "Century Child" is available on LP at www.nuclearblast.de Century Child is the album that went platinum in Finland the day it was released. Buy or die LOL

You can download some MP3's from the site. Let me know what you think.

Maurice
  • dcarlson
    edited April 2003
    Organ,

Here's a link to the Record show, there's another another one in june.

http://www.vibrations.on.ca/events/bluenote/index_b.html

Derick.

• organ
    edited April 2003
    WOW! Looks great man. I'll try to make it for the one in June. Thanx for the link.

Maurice
  • dcarlson
    edited April 2003
    The record show was kick ****. I'm not sure what type of music you're into but there was a buttload of records. I picked up about a dozen records for a little less than $100.
    Hendrix Electric Ladyland $12 vinyl is mint.
    Rolling Stones Aftermath $12.
    Pink Floyd Animals $12, Meddle $10, Wish You Were Here $5.
    Neil Young Harvest $4

There were some pretty good deals to be had. There was a pretty big crowd there but not outrageous. I could have spent a lot more with no problem at all, great selection.

Definitely, must go.

Derick.

• organ
    edited April 2003
    Derick,
    WOW! Those are great prices! I'm glad you were able to find some rare stuff. If I went I was going to get a lot of classical and opera stuff. I also wonder if they'd have anything from the European metal scene.
    I can't wait for the next show. I'll be sure to buy a lot of records there.

Maurice
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2003
    Derick,

Which label were those Floyd albums on, Harvest or Capitol?

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • dcarlson
    edited April 2003
    Russman,

I never checked. What's the difference? Original vs reissue?

Derick.

• RuSsMaN
    edited April 2003
    Yes. The Harvest label was the original pressing of everything up through DSOM. They were also 180g pressings, an added quality you won't find on the Capitol releases.

I've actually seen people 'swap' the records. I can't tell you how many times I see a 'Harvest' cover, only to find a 'Capitol' release inside.

I figure they were priced differently at said LP shop, but someone figured the checkout clerk would never notice, so they put the good record in the less-expensive cover, and out the door they went.

Just last week I bought 'Meddle' (for Troy to jumpstart his collection), and it is a Harvest cover, with Capitol inside. Still a great deal for $2.99.

Capitol PF releases are still good finds, not knocking them (I own some), but if you did get Harvest, esp at those prices, you can feel a little *more* special than you already do.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • dcarlson
    edited April 2003
    I figured as such when I picked up Wish You Were Here. I don't have a turntable yet so I'm building a bit of a collection first. I paid a little more for Meddle and The Wall, I'll have to check them out. It's definitely something to keep in mind if I want a better copy. I have DSOTM 30th aniversary vinyl coming in the mail from www.hmv.com, can't wait to see what that's like.

Derick.

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2003
    Nice links all... many thanks, especially for all the vinyl leads.

Still a bit old school here TT wise. Am setting up my latest acquisition for action, Thorens TD-124II with an SME 3009 II. Still debating the cartridge, but until I pick an MC, I'll go with an old Shure V15V that still has a lot of miles on it.

Russ, if you ever want a refurbished AR-XA. Give me a yell.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2003
    Thanks Tour, I might just take you up on that in the near future.

Cheers,
    Russ