New System, Sub help

Hi all
I just got a new system
Rti70's (bi-wired w/ 14ga Monster XP-CI)
Fxi30's
Csi30
Psw303
Yamaha Rx-V1300

I had a question about the sub hookup. The receiver has a SUB OUT. How should i attach the sub cable to the sub. LFE or Left or use a Y adapter for Left and Right. Also, if i use the LFE am i correct in saying that the low pass adjustment will be rendered useless?
Thanks

P.S. I am excited to join the POLK community and expect much fun in the future with my system
Post edited by swbtgiants on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited April 2003
    Welcome to the forum, and nice choice in speakers :)

Here is some required reading, found right here on the website.

Subwoofer Connections Explained:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/home/faqad/advice.php?article=bassmanage

Subwoofer Placement and Adjustment:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/home/faqad/advice.php?article=subsetup

Also, let us know what kind of options are available in your receivers menu, for adjustment of the subwoofer, if any at all. If you have any specific questions after checking out the links, feel free to post and we will assist you. Happy subbing ;)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2003
    swbtgiants

Welcome to the forum here. It's fun and you'll quickly learn a lot.

Nice system you got going there. With a few tweaks it'll sound great. The people in here know just about every topic under the sun as it relates to stereo, and home theater set up, tweaks, upgrades, etc.

I have my sub hooked up to the sub out on the back of the receiver. My Marantz does not allow for any filter adjustments. There are many people on here who can better answer your questions on sub settings. Sub placement is very important too. play around with the placement of it. A corner will yield the most bass from a sub.

Dr. Spec is a real good person to chat with about sub settings. He's a nice guy and offers good advice. There are several other who can help you with anything. Just ask.

See ya, Al
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Welcome aboard.

Sub out to LFE in - is my vote.

Nice rig by-the-way.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • danger boy
    edited April 2003
    I just switched the cable on the back of my PSW350 from unfiltered to filtered.. and I got a slight improvement from the bass extention. why would that happen? I just assumed unfiltered would sound better. My recevier does not have any adjustments for the sub out.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2003
    swbtgiants,

I have a RX-V1300 and am very familiar with it.

Yeah what Russ said is the way to go.

The LFE will be crossed over at a fixed 90 Hz from the receiver.

You can toy around with small settings on the receiver for mains and also with both (sub and mains both get below 90 hz). Some people like it on small; others prefer the fuller range sound with the settings on both. I found the midrange to get a little cleaner sounding with the mains set to small and helps to free up some of the receivers dynamic range by not having to play the low stuff. The 70's are a large speaker though and you might like the way they sound full range as long as you don't get low frequency cancellations. Don't forget to play around with the phase switch on the sub (if it has one).

Experiment around with these for a while and see what you like.

P.
  • swbtgiants
    swbtgiants Posts: 7
    edited April 2003
    hey guys
    thanks alot (es pjdami and russman)
    you all were a great help. I switched it to LFE, but its stil is a bit weak. I am going to play around with switching mains to "small" and "large" and the sub from "sub" and "both" and see what happens. The thing is, i am still getting very weak sub noise and lows. We'll see what happens after i try that. YOu think maybe the sub needs to be broken in more? or that maybe its just a weak sub? let me know
    thanks
    jeff
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited April 2003
    I would set all of the speakers to small and the bass to sub only. Try placing the subwoofer in the front corner of the room if you can. If your bass is still weak, trying changing the angle that it is placed at.

I would also really recommend going to Radio Shack and getting an analog SPL meter for about $30. This will let you properly set the volume level for each of your speakers and subwoofer. They should all be the same volume from your primary listening position.

I also use the Avia Guide to Home Theater dvd to check things like phase checking and tv calibration. You should be able to pick it up locally for around $50 or you can get it from the Polk store for $40.

If you need anything else, let us know. :)
  • swbtgiants
    edited April 2003
    thanks fireshoes, but i did all of that already.
    I got a sound and vision dvd and i calibrated all my speakers with an SPL meter. Nearly impossible to calibrate sub. Thanks though
  • swbtgiants
    edited April 2003
    thanks fireshoes, but i did all of that already.
    I got a sound and vision dvd and i calibrated all my speakers with an SPL meter. Nearly impossible to calibrate sub. Thanks though
  • danger boy
    edited April 2003
    deja vu

:lol:
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2003
    swbtgiants

The RX-V1300 has a 4.0 V preout for LFE. I always had very powerful bass with it. What do your currently have as the setting of the gain knob on the plate amp? 9 o'clock ? 12 o'clock?

You should be getting plenty of bass here between 9 - 12 o'clock. If not try experimenting with placement like others have suggested and perhaps just waiting to see if the sub breaks in a little. Don't forget the phase switch too.

PJ.
  • gacole2000
    gacole2000 Posts: 255
    edited April 2003
    I'm running a very similar system and had the same problem w/ weak bass at my "sweet spot". I had to just play around with the placement of my sub, it took a while but it was worth it. What is your room like? I would further recommend that you set all to small and use the sub only for you bass (LFE), this will reduce standing waves CXL out your bass. Good luck, I've been right where your at (a labor of love)!

:-) Greg
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V661
    DVD: Yamaha DV-C6480
    BR: Samsung 1600
    Mains: Polk RT55 (bi-amped)
    Center: CS300
    Sides: FX1000
    Rears: RT/FX
    Subs: SVS 20-39 PC+ 12.3 & DIY SVS 12.2
    Projector: Optoma HD70 w/ 106" Elite Screen
    Power: Panamax MAX 5100
    Remote: Harmony One