3-channel stereo

Ceruleance
Ceruleance Posts: 991
So how would I do this:
3 channel stereo, without a stereo preamp and 2 stereo amps (most likely bridging one of them)?
The preamp has two identical sets of outs to work with, Im adverse to just making the center a second right or left channel, would an interconnect that connects to both right and left preamp outs but only terminates into a single RCA on the amp side work sufficiently to 'mix' the channels?
Post edited by Ceruleance on

Comments

• rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited April 2003
    No, don't do it. At all. Ever. Never. Don't. Please, for the love of Jesus Christ don't do it. Don't even think about it.

I understand what you are saying, but you would get very screwy imaging. Everything would come from the center. Stuff coming from exclusively the left channel would seem to be somewhere between the center and left instead of dead off to the left like it should. Why do you want to do this anyway?
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    If you dont have an AVR with a processor that can mix a center from the L/R I would not bother. For instance my h/k 520 has both dolby and logic 7 which do a 3 channel mix which I occasionally screw around with. IMO it works well with TV programming but for music I much prefer just 2 channel.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • rs159
    edited April 2003
    This page here shows a few options for setting up multichannel systems with a simple stereo receiver. Interestong read, I would've never thought of some of the crazy wiring schemes.
  • HBombToo
    edited April 2003
    Diagram 2 would be interesting to play with without the rear settup. It would be fun to flip the polarity of the center to hear what the end result in phasing would be.
    Thanks for the link RS that is pretty cool stuff.

Mind Candy at the very minimum.
    HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Ceruleance
    edited April 2003
    That is an interesting read, not quite sure I want to bridge my negative terminals just yet, however..

I am considering this 3 channel setup because I might shortly (in the next week) purchase a center channel that kicks the pants off my mains, yet is still tonally matched to them.

Besides, I thought I had made a name for myself already for asking questions that I just wanted to know the answers to.
  • HBombToo
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by Ceruleance

Besides, I thought I had made a name for myself already for asking questions that I just wanted to know the answers to.

:lol:

I never noticed... but who cares? Q's are good!

H
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • rs159
    edited April 2003
    I'm sure we all would've LOVED that stuff back in like 1970 something. Still pretty cool in 2003.
  • Ceruleance
    edited April 2003
    I was definitely craving it, pre-conception style ;)
  • rs159
    edited April 2003
    Yeah, I too was just a retarded little egg back in 1970. No ears at that stage. what a shame
  • rs159
    edited April 2003
    Of course my profile says I was born in Assfahrt, Germany in 1850, but y'all can just ignore that ;)
  • rs159
    edited April 2003
    That is an interesting read, not quite sure I want to bridge my negative terminals just yet, however.....

You could always call up the manufacturer and ask.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2003
    Speaking of '70s technology. Actually '67 technology. I have a Dynaco PAT-4 preamp that has dual outs and also allows for a "6dB blend" for a center channel. Although not labeled as such on the front, I believe the owners manual even suggests using one of the inputs for your TV. Not bad for 1967.

I picked mine up for about $50 off E-bay as part of a package deal. You could probably pick one up and daisy chain them. The volume control could be used to mesh across the front.
    http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/components/PAT4/index.html

You might be able to use Y-splits followed by in-line attenuators, but this would probably cost as much.
    http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?accstwek&1053455881
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Ceruleance
    edited April 2003
    haha attenuators, I love it:

"Is your system TOO good?, we'll help you make it more average!"
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2003
    haha attenuators, I love it:

"Is your system TOO good?, we'll help you make it more average!"

I'm curious about this statement. I've never used them so I have nothing to go by.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Ceruleance
    edited April 2003
    basically if you have too much gain(amplification) in your system, it reduces it, so that you can adjust your volume control across a wider range, not just full off full on...