Tube membership paid in full

hoosier21
hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
edited April 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I went over to the Atlanta area last night and visited an audio dealer who had closed shop and moved it to his house. Man what a candy store for a guy like me, many many things to look at, listen to and touch. VAC, Musical Fidelity, Rega, Music Hall, Apogee (sp?), Quad, Antique Sound Lab, Target and much more ranging from high end to to mid fi, new and used. It was cool to see 20 pairs of speakers spread all over the place, amps, system racks full of gear EVERYWHERE.

Anyway I went there to listen to an Antique Sound Lab AQ-1002DT 50wpc push-pull power amp, it uses KT-88 tubes. I liked it very much, "smooth" comes to mind most, as described above the room was less than ideal to get a great demo of this amp, but the price was right and it came home with me.

Last night and so far today I have not really done much more than "get this effing thing hooked up now" I have it hooked up to a pair of LSi9's and a Denon CD player via varible outputs. I really think I will dig this amp after I get it set up correct.

Better review to follow.

As a note to those looking for this model, you won't find it. ASL makes a tons of amps, the US dist can't import all of them. They had a "special order" for this model from a dealer, they had to buy 6 of them min., the dealer I bought it from had bought 2 of the 6. So it is a rare bird indeed.
Dodd - Battery Preamp
Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
Outlaw ICBM - crossover
Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
Post edited by hoosier21 on

Comments

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited April 2003
    im have my asl wave av-20 hooked up to my monitor 7's and they sound amazing!

scott:cool:
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited April 2003
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2003
    Hoosier,
    Make sure you check the bias. It should explain how to do it in the manual. RS has several low priced DVM's if you need one. If you need any help give me a call.
    Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2003
    Congratulations. You may soon find out that the membership is never paid in full. The dues vary depending on your wallet, tastes and how sexy you find that blue & orange glow. If you listen in the dark your dues go up!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited April 2003
    In the dark is best.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited April 2003
    Dues increase exponentially if you build them yourself and tend to break them!

But yeah, in the dark is the best way to listen to them!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • madmax
    edited April 2003
    Try listen while looking at the tubes. Then sit something in front of the tubes so you can't see them and play the same exact thing. It always sounds better when you can see the tubes!
    madmax

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Oh the allure of tubes.... almost like sitting in front of a camp fire, Huh.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • madmax
    edited April 2003
    Just like a little city of lights!
    madmax