ADCOM created new amps..:-)

Gary Robertson
Gary Robertson Posts: 201
edited April 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Has anyone seen or heard the new ADCOM line of amps--i mean "WAY" new??
They are called ADCOM FAT amplifiers and they're gorgeous , they are black with a chromish aluminum strip going horizontally across the m
ddle of the front panels--so far i have only seen 5 and 7 channel models..i don't know anything else about them but you can damn well bet i'm gonna find out....................................
FAT stands for Fast Analog Transformation it was created to maximize the performance of the new high resolution formats...oh boy,,looks like we've got something here :-)
System #2
Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
System #1:
Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
Post edited by Gary Robertson on

Comments

• fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited April 2003
    I haven't heard them yet, but I sure hope that we carry them where I work. I also found out we have some kind of accomodation program so I can get one for a larger discount than normal. I just don't know how much yet. If it's 50 or 60% off though I will probably save up for the 7807 to run my LSi's. It's 7 x 450 at 4 ohms. Oh yeah.
  • Gary Robertson
    edited April 2003
    Yes i do undestand that and i am currently working on a way to finance new innerconects and cables--i have seen the taras and nordhost but i cant but afford nordhost for awhile--transparents are wonderful too but i just spent every thing i had on system #1 and now have to wait before i get cables..but when i do--ye haaaaaa..
    System #2
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited April 2003
    I look forward to hearing some hard data about the ADCOM amps, they have always been a strong seprep.

ATC- Why the hi-jack? I run Monster also, I am educated, Gary is I'm sure also. I know that the theory in cables and wiring is strong. I chose them for my income level and ease of finding them in my area, they do just fine by me. I realize you apologized for the intrusion on thread, and all comments are welcome. But you seemed to me, to bash a users comps, just to make a statement.

Gary may or may not know about hi-quality interconnects, it doesnt matter. The man asked a simple question about the new ADCOM amps, and you haunt his connections....

I am not trying to grill you Venom, you add alot of good data to this forum, I just did'nt understand the post.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2003
    Hmmmm....

I read Sean's post and I thought he was polite and very politically correct in his statements. He apologized first...made a few comments (which are good ones too and something I will be exploring here in the near future) and then proceeded to allow the thread to move on.

Well, sorry if I hi-jacked the thread now too.

Adcom, I've got a lot of respect for their products. I've never owned any but have friends that do and it was always a good listening experience. Always good to see a company coming out with new products too.

P.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited April 2003
    F.A.T. amps....
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pjdami
    edited April 2003
    Wow...now that is a FAT amp...literally.

I guess they didn't have to many arguments coming up with that name. Very impressive. Ahhh.. the silver is in again. The vertical clearance height though will have a tough time making into many audio cabinets.

I'm going to go and check out Adcom's website right now and learn more about this monster.

P.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited April 2003
    Alright, sorry for the size of that one, but it gives you a good idea what they look like.

On a side note:
    I highly recommend MIT cables for those considering a cable upgrade.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited April 2003
    PJ- I agree that his comments were friendly, its just the forum question is about ADCOM amps, and not connections. Have you seen the new amps? I want to see them. I want to hear caveats about ADCOM and their siblings.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • pjdami
    edited April 2003
    PJ- I agree that his comments were friendly, its just the forum question is about ADCOM amps, and not connections. Have you seen the new amps? I want to see them. I want to hear caveats about ADCOM and their siblings.

That's cool by me dorokusai. I just felt obligated to jump in and defend Sean a little. No offense to you at all buddy. Sean's been a little down on his luck lately and I've read a lot of good stuff on this board that he has written and he has given me some good advice on some things too. He disappeared for a while too and people thought he was gone for good. Glad to see that he is back.

No, I haven't seen the new Adcom amps except for the pictures. I'm about cashed out on upgrades for now, but ultimately I see a seven channel pre/pro with a seven channel amp for my main rig and home theater. Looks like Adcom is trying to propagate itself even more with this new line. I think my closest Adcom dealer is in Baton Rouge about 75 miles away.

P.
  • fireshoes
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by pjdami
    The vertical clearance height though will have a tough time making into many audio cabinets.

If you get past the height issue, then you get work on the weight issue....it's 119 lbs!
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2003
    Another contender for the big badass power flagship! I was looking into several power amps (more than 200 watts @ 8 ohms). There were two of them that seem to be pretty strong: B&K reference 200.7, Sherbourn 7/2100, and now, this one. Judging by the weight, B&K is 76, Sherbourn is 115, and this one at 199. Personally, I think any one of these are more than capable to provide you with lots of juice, the question is, do you have the real estate? btw, price on the Adcom?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • fireshoes
    edited April 2003
    From what I've heard, it's either $3200 or $3500.
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2003
    Sean - I understand where you are coming from, no problem. I believe that I just read more into it than was actually there. Your comment was intended as a kind observation. It just seemed to me as out of place in regards to the question asked.

I'm cool man, and if I have caused offense to you, then I also apologize. No offense was intended.

The thread has worked out and all is well in Polk land ;)

I probably just had a bad batch of hootch or spoiled water that night when I responded. :eek:
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2003
    I heard some ADCOM amps from that time frame(95' or 96'), and they sounded very nice. I heard them when I purchased some Kef's. I dought you could go wrong with that amp.

Honestly, I don't know a ton about separates, but how could you get a bad amp? If it is Class A or MOSFET, or whatever. Good amp is a good amp right? :confused:
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited April 2003
    Kinda has a Rotel look goin on huh?
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • Gary Robertson
    edited April 2003
    hey Guys,
    All is okay with me. i am not eaisly offended and i think you all are pretty damn cool... :-) I have fund the cables i want and i will surprise you tomorrow morning with what i purchased
    (money wise it was a stupid move) but just wait till i tell you..i think it's gonna take a long time to burn them in.
    .......................................Adcom is one hell of a product you'd be "WAY TOALLY " suprised if you heard my gfa-545-II on a pair of prodigy's--i also culdn't help but think "naaaaa" but when i fired that lil' puppy up it was like---"SHOLY HIT BATMAN" !! Actually i came "thisclose" to getting a gfa-8502 instead of the BRYSTON.. but never the less i think ill ask my BRYSTON to marry me.. Ha,ha,ha,ha,...
    System #2
    System #1:
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by Gary Robertson
    hey Guys,
    All is okay with me. i am not eaisly offended and i think you all are pretty damn cool... :-) I have fund the cables i want and i will surprise you tomorrow morning with what i purchased
    (money wise it was a stupid move) but just wait till i tell you..i think it's gonna take a long time to burn them in.
    .......................................Adcom is one hell of a product you'd be "WAY TOALLY " suprised if you heard my gfa-545-II on a pair of prodigy's--i also culdn't help but think "naaaaa" but when i fired that lil' puppy up it was like---"SHOLY HIT BATMAN" !! Actually i came "thisclose" to getting a gfa-8502 instead of the BRYSTON.. but never the less i think ill ask my BRYSTON to marry me.. Ha,ha,ha,ha,...

I have the GFA-545II, and my Dad has (3) GFA-535II. Those 60 watt little mofos are pushing 500+ watt speakers, they have been for atleast the past 9 years, No drivers have blown, no amp has clipped and still sound perfect to this day. Adcom is a sweet product, and I'm surprised so many people rule them out so fast. Rotel is not the king of all. Its sorda like buying a Bose product, more of the name instead of the product. Rotel makes nice gear, but I highly doubt their all that much better than Adcom. I have pushed my RT35i's to levels they couldnt take yet, the Amp's THD alerts didnt even flicker, the watts are clean and conservative, I love them. The sound of this thing is awesome, junk is where is it suposed to be, Voices up front, Bass (Guitar) to the left, Guitar to the right, and Drums behind the singer and sound effects all around. Its all there, and it sounds awesome! LoL, in other words, Adcom is just an awesome amp, IMO.

BTW - That new Adcom gear looks SWEET!!!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:! I want to hear it, I want to see their 2-Channel amps, I might have to hold off on buying stuff and purchase 2 of them babies!!!! :lol:
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited April 2003
    Dammit MX, what'd I tell 'ya?
    Originally posted by rs159
    ...Good to know you're enjoying your system. Enjoy it while you can, I heard the upgrade bug is going to be bad this year ;)
  • VR3
    edited April 2003
    Dammit MX, what'd I tell 'ya?

Not many upgradables on my list, new VCR, DVD Player, Amps, *MAYBE* another subwoofer..... Looks like I wont be working this summer as my Dad isnt selling any houses........:( :(:(:(:(:(
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited April 2003
    The upgrade bug sucks sometimes, especially when you can't afford any upgrades.
  • VR3
    edited April 2003
    The upgrade bug sucks sometimes, especially when you can't afford any upgrades.

Ahh nah man, I can afford it - I just have to work to get it, in which if my Dad sales no houses, I dont work.....its all a jolly world
  • Gary Robertson
    edited April 2003
    Oh yeah ,
    as you all know "I" am currently bitten by the upgrade bug and when that ****
    gets ahold of you man, you're in trouble .. I just did it again,, last night i spent around 4,500 on cables.
    "ACOUSTIC ZEN"--anyway i think in order to survive i must knock this crap off..
    it's gonna be financially stiff for awhile now--Ha,ha i just had a thought,,i need to lose 20 pounds anyway--but when i'm hungey and have no food i'll just go turn on my new equipment and smile and pray that i don't die from "MISS MEAL COLIC".......
    System #2
    System #1:
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2003
    Excuse me did you say "4500"? Yeow...

Gary,
    Seeing as how we seem to be past the new Adcom's (for now), your BBE caught my eye. I was intigued by these a while back, but never got close to one. What do you think of yours?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Gary Robertson
    edited April 2003
    Funny you should notice that..You're the first one to comment on this......
    i my opinion and it is just that (an opinion)...The BBE - ARS is the most phenominal piece of electronics ever envented..It is what we here where i live call the idiosyncracy eliminator,ie. if you have a small idio sync in your system like a subtile thing such as _(not enough upper mid bass or too much mid bass or the mid or lows or highs are just quite right) this little puppy will fix it (its crazy but the darned thing works) its like having 10 little men on a mixer board doing their thing..it can take an old (very old recording) and put spunk back into it--thus the name "audio restoration system"..it can bring out a very much wider farfield imaging and soundstage and it can magically do it without coloring of the sound......... i don't know how they do it but this thing is total magic--you can really customize recordings with it..
    a little 200 dollar magic box..this model can run through a tape loop etc...
    System #2
    System #1:
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
  • Gary Robertson
    edited April 2003
    The new Fleetwood Mac cd is not so bad.
    It came out on the market wednesday. The sound and recording is five star quality- but the songs are about 3and 1/2 stars..worth buying..wonder what it would ound like on the new ADCOM fat amp??
    System #2
    System #1:
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited April 2003
    Gary,

I notice you have an Adcom GFP-750 paired with a Bryston 14BST.
    Did you audition Bryston's BP-25 preamp? If so, what differences did you hear?

I am also interested in knowing if you compared the Adcom 5802 to the Bryston 14BST. I'm considering upgrading to a higher powered power amp. The 14BST is one that I am considering. Thanks.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Gary Robertson
    edited April 2003
    I did not compare wither amp together.
    i am very in love with the Bryston it just does everythig better-and i have so much power kinda being waisted cause i'll never use it..i did come close to buying the 5802 tho..because i am so familiar with it nd there is not a damn thing wrong with it.. i just happened to own a gfp-750 from awhile back and am currently using it until i can re-vamp on finances to get a more elite preamp-(maybe there is no better actualluy) the gfp-750 is rated A in stereophile anyway and with extremely high praise. the 5802 is well worth a purchase if you want a quality amp for a lot less money.i am in very high praise of the 5802-also you would be just literally blown away to hear what the little Adcom gfa-545 II does with a pair of prodigy's-i honestly would Never thought----but when i expiermented and plugged it in--is was incredible-i guess what i mean is that Just because i own the Byston doesn't necessarily mean that i needed it-i love it,i would marry it,ha,ha..but the 5802 is also very impressive and about half the price..listen to it first..
    System #2
    System #1:
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,