repairing recievers

Options
mule
mule Posts: 282
edited April 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Are they designed with repair in mind, or are they "throw aways"?

I may have a chance at buying a Marantz sr-18 for $100, it does not power up. It would be a great deal if it costs a couple hundred to fix, but I am afraid it would be totally unrepairable or cost $600+ which would make it not a very good deal.

Would it be like a computer where the power supply takes a hit and the rest is ok? I probably replace a power supply every summer due to lightning.
Post edited by mule on

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    edited April 2008
    Options
    What, today's? Do you really have to ask?
  • mule
    edited April 2008
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand, does this imply it is serviceable?

I guess what I am asking is if these are built with components, seperate power supply, pre amp, amp and processor?

If the power supply failed are the chances good that the rest is ok or is it possible that the processors failed with the power supply?

I know you can't diagnose without seeing it, I am just trying to figure the likelyhood of the failure by the way the reciever is designed.

My expirience with computers is that they are designed so that the power supply fails and is like a "buffer" for the rest of the system and is easily replaced.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited April 2008
    Options
    If you have access to the service manual and electronics repair knowlege and experience - yes, they can be repaired. If you like to tinker with stuff but have not really pulled one apart and have not used a soldering iron for a few years, I would not try it.....

Either way - good luck.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Don't bother unless you get the receiver for free.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    edited April 2008
    Options
    ShinAce wrote: »
    Don't bother unless you get the receiver for free.

That's what I was getting at.
  • mule
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Thanks guys, I thought this would be the case, but it dosen't hurt to ask.;)
  • riker1384
    riker1384 Posts: 35
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Of course, these days there are also some really expensive HT receivers, and I bet that it's worth it to have those repaired sometimes. I mean, if something costs thousands of dollars then surely you would at least have a technician take a look at it rather than throw it away, right?
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited April 2008
    Options
    riker1384 wrote: »
    Of course, these days there are also some really expensive HT receivers, and I bet that it's worth it to have those repaired sometimes. I mean, if something costs thousands of dollars then surely you would at least have a technician take a look at it rather than throw it away, right?

Like most computers, value is not based on what you paid or what the retail price was when new - it is based on what it would cost to replace it.

If the AVR is more than 4 or 5 years old - even if it cost over 1k new, I bet it could be replaced for $250 or so. He is looking at putting $100 into one that may or may not be able to be fixed. (provided there is only one thing wrong with it) Much better to put the additional money to one that never had a problem. If it was free, that would be a different story. (maybe)

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)