What are your general impressions of the LSi15's?

kenratboy
kenratboy Posts: 10
edited April 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my speakers and an either going to get some Klipsch Reference's or a pair of LSi15.

I have not yet had a chance to heal the LSi15's - in general, what do you think of them?
Post edited by kenratboy on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited April 2003
    One of the best speakers on the market today!! There are a lot of happy lsi owners around here, do a search in the various forums here and you'll find lot's of threads that sing the praises of the Lsi series.

Bottom line, buy what sounds best to you. As long as you get enjoyment out of your equipment, that's all that matters!! Good luck with your upgrade, & don't forget to let everyone here know what you end up with.

BTW, Welcome !!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Ditto Frank's sentiments.

Phuz was kind enough to let me into his humble abode, and eff with his 15's. GREAT move by Polk, with a passive, full-range design. That Vifa ring-radiator used throughout the LSi range is the best I've heard since the almost forgotten JBL ring design.

Flat, accurate, full range speakers. Possibly TOO flat for some ears. My favorite of the line is the LSi9, only due to the fact that the 15 requires a little more attention to detail in placement. I found them to sound best a good 2ft from the rear and side walls, but some of that could have been attributed to the room. I've demoed the 9 and 15 only, and the bass was unreal, I'm talking about a retarded amount of bass, full, deep, and tight, yet balanced.

Great speaker overall, probably worth twice the asking price. They are reminisent of the revered SDA line, not only tonally, but they need good clean, high current power, and proper placement. They also seemed to work well with a myriad of gear, from a low-powered Arcam integrated, to Carver and Rotel serperates. The stereo image and soundstage at Aaron's (Phuz)abode was STELLAR, much better than I expected, and I expected a LOT.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited April 2003
    Hey Russman, I've heard the word "flat" tossed around a few times to describe these speakers. Can you or anyone else explain how else this sounds and why it may sound too flat at times ???
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2003
    Flat, as in freq response, top to bottom. Accurate would be another great word to use here.

With a lot of speakers, they tend to have their own signature, ie, bright highs, booming lows, maybe a slightly forward midrange. When I use the word 'flat', I'm trying to relay that the speakers remain true to the recording, and plays the music as it was meant to be heard, without any tonal signatures, or emphasis.

Take all that with a grain of salt, because one mans 'bright', may be another mans 'detail' or 'warmth'.

A TON of people like emphasis in one or more areas, but from a 'purist' standpoint, I feel the LSi series comes VERY close. Almost TOO close because most listeners are used to some sort of attenuation of either highs, lows, or both. Ie, graphics EQs used not for room conditions or standing waves, but to enhance said tonal signature for said listener. Bass boost, loudness contouring, bass/treble controls, DSP soundfields, all are a moot point (imo), if you have the right combination of gear.

Flat is a good thing, to me at least. It sounds natural, if you will, not exaggerated, or forced in any areas throughout the sound spectrum, yet remains complete. You hear the media as it was meant to be heard.

Follow me?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • kenratboy
    edited April 2003
    How "loud" are they? I am used to Klipsch and JBL (not the cheap stuff) and I see the Polk's as being "delicate." All the music I listen to is electronic music and has lots of sharp, crisp notes it it. Nothing smooth.

I wouldn't dump a load of bass into them (I have a new JBL movie theater subwoofer, I am fine, I would probably X-over the towers at 50-80 Hz. ;) ) but do the mids and tweeter have the capability to REALLY REALLY haul?

What dB. in what size rooms are you getting? My mistening room is 13' X 13'5 X 9' and I have the doors closed when listening, so not a big room.

BTW, I am VERY in tune with the audio world, but I am asking basic questions because I don't know jack about Polk.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited April 2003
    Nicely stated Russman.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited April 2003
    thanks russman

you da man!:)
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2003
    Rgr that Frank.

How loud? You can check the eff ratings on the Polk website, if thats what you are driving at. The aren't K-horns, but they aren't DQ10's either (high vs low eff). Driven properly, they will play louder than you need to be listening to them.

Dumping bass? I wouldn't cross the 15's at all, they are SOLID to 30Hz in the chamber, much lower 'room loaded'. The tweet is not real close to Vifa's (scanspeak) top of the line, but it isn't a slacker either. Haul? Once again, driven properly, they will do more than you care to (should) endure.

Your room size is between small to medium on my scale. They will, properly driven (must stress this point, not to be repetative), grossly outshine the room. They won't be the slacker in your given scenario vs the room size.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2003
    Very well said Russ.

I've owned and / or own JBL's, Bose (mistake), Infinity, Cerwin Vega, Paradigms, Polk RT35i's, and now the LSi 9s.

The LSi 9s are extremely flat sounding especially with a neutral or warm sounding amplification like Rotel or NAD that I have. I've been going nuts because its too flat for my ears. I haven't experimented with boosting the treble on the tone controls and / or with different types of interconnects or speaker wire but I think I will be down that path here in the near future.

One thing for sure, the LSi's will not disappoint and they are a great value. They really tame a lot of the brightly recorded soundtracks out there.
  • kenratboy
    edited April 2003
    BTW - thanks for all the quick replies!!!

Anyway, at about 2 meters, I usually listen at 85-95 dB. and if I want to rock out, 100-105 (one song at a time, and those levels are for like 10 minuits a week.) I don't want to kill my hearing until I get some REALLY nice speakers :eek:

Obviously, I will base the speakers capabilities on a big, powerful amp. I might get something like a large Rotel or Adcom eventually, ~150 WPC (well, it would be more like 200+ watts because of the 4 ohm load.) I like overkill :cool:

Right now, I have a $300 Sony receiver, so not exactly a McIntosh or Krell.

I guess I should drag my @$s down to Circuit City and check them out.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2003
    Since your ears are used to the sound of horns, make sure you give the LSi a good demo. They sound totally different than Klipsch or JBL's.
    Russman is right. If you want the LSi15, don't cross them at 80hz. Run them full range. If you want to cross at 80hz, the LSi9 will be a better choice.

Maurice
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2003
    kenratboy,

Circuit City doesn't have the LSi's!!! Only the RT series.

You can get them from Crutchfield, or find an authorized local dealer (sometimes hard to do), or drive up to Vegas and get them from Sounddistributors like I did (internet order and save a bundle). No serial numbers from Sounddistributors though...they put their own on and back it with their own warranty. You'll like the price from them on the 15s if that's what you decide to get.

P.
  • kenratboy
    edited April 2003
    I am just out fishing. Seeing what I like.

WTF!!! I would have to drive 5 hours to San Francisco to hear them!!! Humph-
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited April 2003
    It's never too far in the quest of hi-fi bliss. Go there for a weekend, demo, enjoy the sites, demo and demo somemore, but don't forget to eat.

Just curious, but have you been driving Klipsch's with a $300 receiver?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2003
    After hearing the 15's I am trying desperately to figure out a way I can afford a pair while in college and still pay the rest of my bills. I don't think its going to happen, but I have lost some sleep trying to figure out if and how to do it.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2003
    I know Russ Can't barely stand me but I got to comment on his posts on this thead.I think it is or close to his best work.I know it won't mean much from a source barely tollerable but that was a good read.
    When I get some more time,I will leave a new up to date review on the Lsi15's here.
    Shopping is out there and I have to go out.

There edited my type O's I know I suck......
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by mantis
    Iknow Can't barely stand me but I got to coment on his posts on this thead.I think it is or close to his best work.I know it won't mean much from a source barely tollerablebut that was a good read.

WTF???
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by F1nut

WTF???

A shot of Vodka anyone???

Russman got his review on!!!! Very impressive.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • kenratboy
    edited April 2003
    I am only 18, I can't go out and blow a few grand on toys. Car comes first.

Cars and HT are my justicication for higher education :D