SRT System, missing parts...

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2003
    My Gawd... just caught up with this development... What an awesome display... Phil Spector would be proud...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited April 2003
    Jesse,

I received the photocopy of the rubbing finish info that you sent today. Thank you very much.

This is a big help.

Har
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited April 2003
    Har,

Always glad to help, cuz.

Jesse
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited April 2003
    Cant believe I missed this thread completely, keep it coming... Really good work, and very interesting. Definitely something worth reading. Your speaker collection is awesome man... Too bad I am too far away to bug you for a demo...
    Mike
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited April 2003
    Sending photo of new Polk set-up.
  • bikezappa
    edited April 2003
    How do you insert a photo? New to forum.
  • F1nut
    edited April 2003
    Next to "Attach File", click on browse. Select the photo you want, click open and it will appear in the browse window. Do not preview your post or you will lose the attachment.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bikezappa
    edited April 2003
    Thanks F1nut. He goes. I assume that the photo in the browse window will appear in message.
    loud.jpg 459.8K
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited April 2003
    Hey can I get the phone number of that HOT looking red chick??? :) Yummy................
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • bikezappa
    edited April 2003
    Dorokusai

Do you want the phone number of the small one or the full scale model? Thought everyone reading these threads was interested only in speaker systems? Nice to see a healthy balanced reader.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited April 2003
    :lol::lol: ..... Balanced? <whew> I wouldnt go that far, but just wait until you have been here a little longer we have a few "Balanced" forum users, :)

Seriously, very nice setup, gotta love those SDA's. F1nut is gonna let me demo his sometime in the future....but he keeps saying I gotta pay admission....hmmmm
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited April 2003
    You have got to be kidding me! Sheesh, and I thought Har was bad. You guys are the reason that I cant find any SDA's. Not that I could afford them anyway, Books and tuition have priority over everything.
    Awesome collection btw, what do you drive them with?
    And doesnt having them set up like that kill the SDA effect?
    :D
    Mike
  • bikezappa
    edited April 2003
    I never connected all those speakers up at one time. I went a little nuts however (every one that is male will understand) and purchased two 1.2's and two 2.3's. I had a freind over to help me move them around and he suggested the photo. I use one 1.2 for stereo and the three other SDA's for HT room. 1.2 for front and 2.3's for rear and center. I have B&K 10 and old heathkit power amp for stereo.
  • F1nut
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by dorokusai

but he keeps saying I gotta pay admission....hmmmm

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH :lol:

bikezappa,

Glad to help, love the photo.

President of Club Polk

• bikezappa
    edited April 2003
    Har_navalta

Did you get these speakers on e-bay last month from NJ? I bid on that item. Is there a story buying and picking up these speakers? Did you see and test them before bidding?

Good job repairing them.
  • har_navalta
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by dthomps:
    Your speaker collection is awesome man... Too bad I am too far away to bug you for a demo...
    Mike

Yes inded, I myself can't beleive that I have these speakers in da house:) too bad you're miles away for a demo.

Originally posted by bikezappa:
    Did you get these speakers on e-bay last month from NJ? I bid on that item. Is there a story buying and picking up these speakers? Did you see and test them before bidding?

Good job repairing them.

Yes, this is the one.

I got to my uncle's house in Sewell, NJ to wait for the delivery of the speakers and drove back home for another 9 hours.

No, I didn't see or tested the speakers. I just communicated with the seller by e-mail asking if they are still working properly and how much work would have to be done in repairing it.
  • har_navalta
    edited April 2003
    Jesse,

I'm done coloring the SRT sub enclosure(1) with Penn Cherry, but I am not happy with the outcome. I want more red than cherry
    alone.

Any suggestions or something like this color;)
    b&w.jpg 34.2K
  • har_navalta
    edited April 2003
    or I will color it the same as my Unit Rack?
  • F1nut
    edited April 2003
    Har,

What kind of stain did you use on the cabinet?

If you are spraying lacquer for the top coat finish you can add Blood Red Solar-Lux dye to the lacquer, but just a little color at a time, it's a strong color. I thought you wanted to get it looking like the cabinet photo that I sent you.

President of Club Polk

• har_navalta
    edited April 2003
    Jesse,

What color and mixture of that B&W?

Har
  • F1nut
    edited April 2003
    Har,

I don't know what they used, but it looks like a red dye base with a custom mix of red dye and a little black dye added to the spray lacquer. Hard to tell from a photo.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited April 2003
    Kinda looks like what I would call a cordavan mahogany color because it looks like it has a slight purple tint to it. Mixing red and black will get that purple tint.

President of Club Polk

• har_navalta
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by F1nut:
    I thought you wanted to get it looking like the cabinet photo that I sent you.

My wife prefers the color of the B&W, she said that the Penn Cherry looks like a furniture and a hardwood flooring:confused:

Har
  • F1nut
    edited April 2003
    Har,

Women!

I'm not following what you mean by, "a furniture and a hardwood flooring." Do you mean it looks like the floors in your house?

Jesse

President of Club Polk

• har_navalta
    edited April 2003
    Yeah, thats right.

Damn, I need a digital camera to show it to you. I am only
    using a film camera:mad:

Har
  • F1nut
    edited April 2003
    LOL, I hear ya!

Well, the only way to get that B&W color is to use spray equipment. Do you have a pro refinishing shop near you? Show him the color you want and he can spray it on, probably cost a couple of hundred.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited April 2003
    Kind of a shame to cover up that nice cherry wood with a dark color like that.

President of Club Polk

• har_navalta
    edited April 2003
    Do you think that the Oak skin makes the outcome doesn't
    look like the pic above that you sent it to me.

I'd order a Pre-glued Cherry Veneer but it doesn't arrive yet.

Har
  • F1nut
    edited April 2003
    Har,

Oh YEAH! That makes a huge difference. Hell, you should have said that in the first place. When you get the cherry do a little color test and let me know what it looks like then. I will say this, it won't be as dark or have that purple tint like the B&W. The only way to get that is how I told you above.

Jesse

President of Club Polk

• har_navalta
    edited April 2003
    The Oak Skin purchased from Home Depot is glued to the Sub cabinet enclosure. This is only an experiment. I might change it
    to a better quality Veneer, a Pre-glued Cherry Veneer.