AB505 Replacement

Options
JHC
JHC Posts: 4
edited April 2003 in Speakers
I need a replacement for my in-wall AB505 rear speakers. Looking for a wall mounted speaker. My front speakers are the in-wall AB805. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

JHC
coll12@hotmail.com
Post edited by JHC on

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2003
    Options
    What other speakers are you using?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by JHC
    My front speakers are the in-wall AB805. Any suggestions?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • JHC
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Front speakers are the Polf Audio AB805 in-wall. I have a Polk Audion center channel (don't have the model number with me).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to the Forum. If I understand you correctly, you want to change from a pair of AB505 in-wall speakers to a speaker that sits on the surface of the wall, correct? Or, do you want a replacement for the AB505 that is also an in-wall design? Once I understand better the goal I can make some suggestions.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited April 2003
    Options
    JHC,

I just had some rc65i installed at home in a 6.1 configuration of 2 on the side walls and one on the back wall, they sound fantastic, AVI Electronics oreded them and installed them with my room demensions and delay from my yammer 1300, they really come close to my old rt25i, which are now in the bedroom. I really like the sound had some absorbtion or sound vibration kits installed and system calibrated by AVI. Just watched Gladiator DTS-ES last night sound was superb. I have rt600i fronts, cs400i center, psw450 sub. Like to thank customer service rep who guided me towards the 65i.

CRJ:D
  • JHC
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Ken,

I am looking to mount the new speakers on the wall, not in the wall.

Thanks.

JHC
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for the additional information. Two approaches come to mind. One would be to use a pair of the RTi 28, bookshelf speakers as the replacements. These will give an overall similar tonal balance and dispersion characteristic to the speakers you have in the front position. The second would be to consider a non-directional approach, using the FXi 30 as the surround channels, if used on the back wall, set to the "bi-polar" position. The advantage here is a diffuse, non-directional sound field which many owners find is more enveloping on the surround channels.
    Regards, Ken
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Ken,

With all due respect, I'm curious as to why the Atrium series are not also pushed as a rear speaker, but simply an outdoor extension speaker.

I realize the tweeter is one of kind (not found in any other series, I THINK), but at least to my ears, the timber is pretty close to the tri-lam. They still hold that 'Polk' sound, found in ALL Polk speakers, if you follow.

I have a pair running rear duty in a moderate 5.1 setup, and they actually blend fairly well with my B&W mains, as well as my RT7's (which I swap out on occasion).

Granted, I don't listen to music in surround mode on this rig, strictly movies, but for all intents and purposes, they seem to hold the rear stage well.

I'm just wondering if marketing is missing out on a potential market. Sure, you want to sell a quote un quote 'better' (more expensive) speaker, but I'm curious as to how many sales are missed, just because it's deemed an 'outdoor' speaker? The small size, the built in adjustable bracket, 2-way design, even paintable as the in-wall series is - this all screams a great 'budget' rear to me, if not a complete surround system in some applications.

Interested in your thoughts, if I'm off base, put me back on track.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.