sweet stereo

muzik_wolf
muzik_wolf Posts: 6
edited April 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I just bought a pair of RTi100's and I must say that I've finally gotten the "stereo sound" I've been searching for. Because of the built-in subs in each speaker I have "even" bass response in my listening area. Unlike the sort of one-sidedness I was getting with the RTi38/PSW404 setup I had before, Although that sounded great too. Even though I mainly listen to music in 2ch I was really shocked at how well they (RTi100's) played in surround sound when I put in a dvd. The bass output really rocks! Smooth and tight not boomy. I'm going to be listening to these speakers for a long time. What do any of you have to say about the RTi100's?
PEACE!!!
Music first...Nothing like a pair of Polks!

Electronics:

Onkyo TX-SR700 surround receiver
Sony DVP-NC615 DVD/CD changer
HK CDR 26 Dual CD recorder/player
Delphi XM Satellite Radio
Panasonic CT32HX42 32" HDTV Monitor
RCA VR706HF Hifi Stereo VCR

Polk Audio:
RTi100 front L/R (bi-wired)
CSi30 center channel
RTi28 L/R surrounds

Monster Cable/Power:

HTS 2500 Reference Power Center II
Z1 Reference Cable (mains HF)
Original Monster (mains LF, center ch)
XP Speaker cable (surrounds)
Quick-Lock Banana plugs
Interlink Reference 2 audio cable
DataLink 100 Digital Coax cable
Interlink 400MkII
Interlink 300MkII
Video3 S-Video cable
Video3 Component cable

Post edited by muzik_wolf on

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2003
    I'm not a big fan of the integrated sub, but, you are right, the RTi100's do sound great.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    That's awesome that you have found your audio Nirvana.

What were you using/demoing prior as a reference? In other words, what else *did not* make the cut? (other than the 38i/404 combo)

I'm suprised really, just taking a blind stab, I would have put my money on the sub/sat combo. What differences did you notice?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited April 2003
    I fully believe that what Muzik Wolf is saying about sub/sat system's "one sidedness" is true. Omnidirectional my ****. Unless your sub or your "bass module" or whatever you want to call it is directly in between your speakers then you will be able to notice most of your boom coming from that one corner over their and not from the mains like it should. Very destracting IMO. I'm puting two (DIY) subs in my system with a couple RTi28s or 38s (havn't decided yet) because I can't afford speakers that reach deep enough that the sub will actually be omnidirectional, but that's another story.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2003
    I think it depends on the room and placement in the particular room too. One of my friends has a sub on the right about half way across the room and you cannot tell where it is. My luck has not been that good.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited April 2003
    With a good sub/monitor set up you should not be able to hear where the bass is coming from. In fact you should not even be able to tell the sub is on PERIOD! the more you wonder if the sub is even working the better you have your sub integrated into your system. Or so has been my experience.

A friend of mine has Dynaudio 1.3SE's and an REL Storm III sub. When listening to that FANTASTIC combo I found myself wondering why he spent all that money on a sub because I couldn't tell that it was on or even working. when he turned it off is when I heard the "oomph" go away. Not that the Dyn's are AMAZING by themselves...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • muzik_wolf
    muzik_wolf Posts: 6
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    That's awesome that you have found your audio Nirvana.

What were you using/demoing prior as a reference? In other words, what else *did not* make the cut? (other than the 38i/404 combo)

Thanks Russman,
    The Infinity Alpha and Entra Series, JBL S series and Bose (a.k.a. "Blows") didn't make it. The difference is that the system seems to be more effortless with the integrated subs. Maybe it's just me. With the other setup I even used the LFE jack on the back of the sub and set the my receiver crossover to 100Hz with the RTi38's and I still noticed it with the sub in the middle. Mind you now, I'm not one of those "bassheads" that cranks the bass control all the way up. I played music and still listen to a lot of live music so I know what it should be like. I'm not putting down the sub/sat setup at all. I'm just saying I like this configuration better for my stereo listening habits.
    PEACE!
    Music first...Nothing like a pair of Polks!

Electronics:

Onkyo TX-SR700 surround receiver
    Sony DVP-NC615 DVD/CD changer
    HK CDR 26 Dual CD recorder/player
    Delphi XM Satellite Radio
    Panasonic CT32HX42 32" HDTV Monitor
    RCA VR706HF Hifi Stereo VCR

Polk Audio:
    RTi100 front L/R (bi-wired)
    CSi30 center channel
    RTi28 L/R surrounds

Monster Cable/Power:

HTS 2500 Reference Power Center II
    Z1 Reference Cable (mains HF)
    Original Monster (mains LF, center ch)
    XP Speaker cable (surrounds)
    Quick-Lock Banana plugs
    Interlink Reference 2 audio cable
    DataLink 100 Digital Coax cable
    Interlink 400MkII
    Interlink 300MkII
    Video3 S-Video cable
    Video3 Component cable

• joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2003
    yes, stereo subs are better than one sub, it improves your soundstage. if you only have one sub put it in the center of your mains, or in the back center wall and that will clear up your soundstage. or get 2 same model subs use as stereo pairs.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited April 2003
    I use 2 rt551 on top of 2 psw 350s. IMO 2 subs are the way to go for HT.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by weavercr
    I use 2 rt551 on top of 2 psw 350s. IMO 2 subs are the way to go for HT.

I'm using the little brother to your setup. 2 RT25is with 2 PSW202s. It's a nice little rig.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by muzik_wolf
    With the other setup I even used the LFE jack on the back of the sub and set the my receiver crossover to 100Hz with the RTi38's and I still noticed it with the sub in the middle.
    Lot of individual experience in the Club on how low you have to go to eliminate sub localization, but all agree that 100 Hz is easily above the threshold. Reaching up towards mid-range is a fault of most of the subs in the sub/sat's out there.
    Full range speakers with a sub working down deep... whole different story.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2003
    yes i also, i use two rt-7 on top of two psw-650, with speaker level connection. but i got a placement (3 sub) from lfe out on receiver for the bottem octive.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.