Should I spike my sub?

Options
setzer808
setzer808 Posts: 173
edited March 2003 in Speakers
Hey guys,

Just wondering. I live in an apartment with typical apartment carpeting and was wondering if it could be worth my time/money/effort to consider putting spikes on my PSW350. Anyone spiked theirs? Any advice, suggestions?
Polk CS245i Center
Polk RT55i Mains
Polk RT25i Rears
Polk PSW-350 Sub -in storage.
Yamaha RX-V681 A/V Reciever
Sony SCD-CE595 SACD Player
Post edited by setzer808 on

Comments

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I built a sub and will spike it as soon as the damn things get here from PE.... this is the 8th day... sent U.S. Mail.

I did it mostly for stability (so the sub won't fall over on my kids) and to get it connected right to the concrete floor of the basement through the relatively thin carpet. I really don't know how much spiking gets you sonically, but it is one of those things I just think 'why not? can't hurt.'

I needed SOME sort of feet anyway and was placing an order and the spikes were only $2.50 a set. I've had my main speaker stands spiked for years.. again.. mostly for stability and why not?
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Madisound has some very cool spikes. I bought the Yung 1-3/8" long speaker spike for some speaker stands I made. they look very cool some of the bigger ones on the page would look VERY cool on the bottom of a sub!

http://www.madisound.com/accessories.html
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • setzer808
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Would I have to drill into my sub or even remove the woofer to add spikes? Or can I just unscrew the feet and put the spikes right in?
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • burdette
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by setzer808
    Would I have to drill into my sub or even remove the woofer to add spikes? Or can I just unscrew the feet and put the spikes right in?

That depends entirely on the spikes and the sub. With some spikes, you drill a hole (3/8" or 1/2" are pretty standard), pound in the 'insert', then screw the spike into the insert. The spike has a locking nut so you can adust each individually and then lock it in place.

The Madisound page shows some with T-nuts, too. That requires you drill all the way through the sub and have access from the inside (unless you mount each spike on a separate wooden block and then glue/screw those blocks to the bottom of the sub).

I believe the type with the insert would be an easier choice. However, I doubt that the hole left by the screw when you remove your current foot is going to be large enough to accomodate the insert.. i.e. you gotta drill it out or drill an entirely separate hole.

Depending on the diameter of the current foot.. you MAY be able to take off the foot, drill a new hole for the insert NEXT to the foot's hole, and be able to to put the foot back on and cover up the insert's hole. Get me? Then, you could remove the feet and use your spikes now, but if you ever wanted to sell the sub or take off the spikes, you could remount the feet and cover up the spike's hole (assuming you could dig or pull out the insert). That would cause the least visual damage for anyone who cared to look. I think the current foot would have to be at least .. oh.. 1.25" in diameter (for a 3/8 insert hole) to keep the holes far enough apart to not risk structural damage. If you went with the 1/2" hole, the foot would have to be larger for this to work.

If you care not a wit about potentially hiding the new holes, buy the type with the insert and (if you have a drill and proper bit) you'll be done with the installation in about 10 minutes. You probably wouldn't even have to remove the old feet. I'd check RS, Rex, CC or whatever you have near for spikes. I'm sure they're more for a set of spikes than Madisound or PE, but shipping on that one thing'll kill you.
  • burdette
    edited March 2003
    Options
    If someone is going to the trouble of mounting pointy spikes, why in the world would you then set them on a metal disk that is NOT pointy? That negates the effect of the point by again spreading the weight over a larger area (the area of the disk). You might as well just use a blunt 'point' the same size as the disk.

Think of a woman's high heels.. and mounting a metal plate on the heel... you no longer have the mass concentrated on a small area.

I do believe that is basic Statics.... Hbomb?
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I mounted spikes from this company, www.oregondv.com , on my Polk Sub. It improved my bass slightly, along the lines of it being "tighter". Nothing amazing, but enough that I noticed a shift.

I drilled and installed the threaded inserts that came with the spikes. The inserts are threaded. And no, the hole from the existing foot was not large enough to use the insert. DRILL TIME! The thread portion of the spike is removable, and item can be glued onto the subwoofer if drilling is not something that you are comfortable with. The spikes look awesome and are quite dangerous if you, like dumb **** me, drop something on the other side of the sub, and lean over...........:rolleyes:

The disks or flat pieces that come with most spikes are for a wood floor or similar surface that you do not want marred or pitted by the spike. Spikes are mounted on components also, not just speakers/subwoofers. Its just to keep that nice finish looking good I presume. The effect of adding that disk to a point I would think is pretty negligible as far as dynamics go.

I would gladly post some pics if someone would explain how to do that from my computer. I used to know but my brain is lazy.

I highly recommend them 50% for effect and 50% for great looks.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by burdette
    I do believe that is basic Statics.... Hbomb?

hmm... statics....lovely class indeed. I'd say physics would be more like it. Pressure is rated in Pounds Per Square Inch (PSI) unless you're a pesky Canadian then it's in Pascal's or bars but that's another problem.

If the stiletto heel has a sharp point and the woman weighs say 100# (weight evenly distributed to both legs and she's standing on the heels only.... a diffucult task to acomplish on itself) then 50# of weight are on each leg. If the heel were 1"x1" then the "pressure" exerted onto the floor would be 50 PSI from each heel. Now if she were a kinky woman and she had them boots with the chrome pointy heels, the contact area at the bottom of that heel may only be 1/8" x 1/8" = 1/64 in² and the pressure exerted on the floor by the heel would be (50 lb) / (1/64 in²)=3200 psi !!!. Holy cow! So now you know why it hurts the next time you try to pick up a date at the bar and she tells you to screw off. This same basic principle applies to all "cutting" devices as the sharp edge of a knife or scissors reduces the contact area and thusly increases the pressure at a specific focus point. If the applied pressure exceeds the shear strength of the material it will "cut" or break off.

Class dismissed.....
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • NINjesse
    NINjesse Posts: 12
    edited March 2003
    Options
    back to the point you said you live in an apartment. so you cant really crank that sub, i assume.
  • setzer808
    edited March 2003
    Options
    actually I can crank quite loud...my neighbors are gone over 50% of the time, and don't seem to care the rest of the time.
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • burdette
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I got my spikes today from PE, and was going to post that the inserts are threaded.. you beat me to it. You install them with an allen wrench.

Your example of the woman in high heels is exactly why the number one cause of damage to flooring, such as sliced linoleum, is women in high heels. That explanation is also my point about putting your spikes on a metal pad that would distribute the weight across the pad.. why bother with a spike and not just a foot equal in surface area to the pad?
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I tried spiking my sub by placing it on the base of my speaker stands(only the base, stands were removed) and heard an improvement. It wasn't as boomy in the upper bass.
    Now I found something that works better in my system. A few months ago, I found some hot water pipe insulators(soft spongy stuff) and used them along the bottom of te sub and it sounds better than spiking.

Maurice
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by TonyPTX

hmm... statics....lovely class indeed. I'd say physics would be more like it. Pressure is rated in Pounds Per Square Inch (PSI) unless you're a pesky Canadian then it's in Pascal's or bars but that's another problem.

Where did Burdetted get the quote and I am confused regarding the goal??

H:rolleyes:
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Organ - What kind of insulators? More specific? That sounds like a neat idea, if it works, it works. I am motivated by DIY approaches :)

I have a couple stud rattles when I play the music loud, and although noone else hears it, I do. That is the near future project to remedy. I have the sub placed near a wall bordered by a couch, thats its home for now, no choice, but it is blasting into the wall. Its funny how thsi little stuff turns into big stuff simply by playin a song..... :rolleyes: The spikes alleviated some of the boom, but has not, nor was I expecting it to, solved the problem. This hobby will kill me I hope.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • organ
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Hi dorokusai,
    Sorry, I don't know what those insulators are called. I just found them laying around the house and my dad said he didn't need them, so I took them. All he told me was that they're insulators that are supposed to be used for the small hot water pipes in your house. They're shaped like a pipe with a hollowed center for the pipe and has a cut throughout the side so you can put them on the pipe easily. Gee, all this talk about pipes makes me want to puff the magic dragon LOL. Oh yeah, they're soft and spongy. I'm sure you can find them in hardware stores.

Have you thought about using Vibrapods? I'm sure they'll be more effective.

Maurice
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2003
    Options
    The spikes have done what I wanted them to, I am going to use Vibrapods on my disc players and leave it at that probably for vibration issues. That is also a good upgrade IMO, I agree with you.

Puff huh? That damn Dragon....:lol: Yea I know what you mean now, grey, tubelike, foam...right?

The structure issues are something that I will have to be more creative about. I have existing structure, so my approach has to somewaht unintrusive. I am thinking about injectable foam. Maybe so much foam that my walls blow apart and my wife looks at me with that, " Oh Great f**kin idea, stereo man", but I am undecided.

Organ - You from MD eh? Damascus in the, redneck voice, Hizzouse.
  • setzer808
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    and my wife looks at me with that, " Oh Great f**kin idea, stereo man"

Hahahaha, thats great! :lol:
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • organ
    edited March 2003
    Options
    LOL, that's funny man. Just make sure you spend as much time with your wife too.
    Yep, that's it, the gray tube-like foam. Maybe you can fix the structural problems with some cheap Home Depot accoustic panels. I've never seen the stuff, but some of my friends have talked about it.

I'm from Canada eh, not MD.

Maurice
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Sorry, I dint mean to insult you, you crazy Canadian...hehe ;). I think I had a video hiccup, and I swear it said Maryland under your name. But I won't testify about that so I am shite outta luck.

I havn't seen those panels in Home Depot. I will look, but I really am just planning on some simple DIY panels. Although if they are inexoensive it may save me the trouble. Thanks for the tip. :)