Question on side panel Lsi's

Options
begbie
begbie Posts: 630
edited March 2003 in Speakers
As quoted from Polk's website on their Lsi's.

Side panels are 1-1/2" thick for totally inert enclosure - you hear all the music and only the music.

I see the Lsi9's and 7's have full enclosure of side panels but why not the the 15's,25's, and center ?

I'm sure the drivers on these towers/center will resonate some sound coloration ? So why not have those enclosed with the side panels?

Asthetically, the look is probably better w/o this addition but just a bit of curioisity that's all.
Polk Rt800i -Fronts
Polk cs400i -Center
Polk fx500i -side surrounds
Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
Velodyne cht12
Polk psw111
Post edited by begbie on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I think it has more to do with the weight of the panels as a whole, not the placement of the panels themselves.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • tonygeno
    tonygeno Posts: 34
    edited March 2003
    Options
    In looking at the LSi15, I must say, I wondered the same thing. I think they'd look better with side panels that run top do bottom, and based on their description as to their purpose, they'd sound better too.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Weight of panels eh? Hmmm...very interesting.

How about Lsi center? Are there panels on this model? If there are I guess it would be the black ebony on their sides??

Considering it's the most important speaker for movies , shouldn't the design be like the Lsi9 or 7??
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2003
    Options
    There are no wood panels on the center. Howver it's design is completely different than the 9's and 7's, ie different crossover and different tweeter. The tweet looks the same but we took opened an LSiC, 9 and 25, and the C tweeter had a different model number.