Vintage stereo heaven

gene stangel
gene stangel Posts: 35
edited April 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
After years of tweaking with power cords, cables and power amps, I just bought a used pioneer sx-1250 and hooked it up to a pair of Polk Monitor 7C's with the silver coil dome and I think I just went to heaven. The setup really rocks without a hint of harshness. FM sounds like CD and CD sounds like live music.
Am I alone out there or are there others who have experienced this nirvana?
Post edited by gene stangel on

Comments

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited March 2003
    i have a set of monitor 7's hooked up to a mits. amp and sometimes to my carver amp and they rock! for such a small speaker,they put out the sound.

scott :cool:
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2003
    gene stangel,
    Am I alone out there or are there others who have experienced this nirvana?
    I haven't experienced Your heaven/nirvana but I have been experienceing my own nirvana.It all started the day I picked up the Lsi15's.Then it rolled into the Rotel seperates,then came along B&K,now the new kid on the block KimberKable.

Alot can be said about musical nirvana......it comes in all shapes and sizes.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2003
    After reading the theads opening line.It got me thinking about the rt16's I once loved............I ran into a guy on the job who has a pair of full oak.even the base was oak.He was thinking about upgrading to something new.I wonder if he did.I gotta look for his number.
    They are/where in the same series as the rt7's.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2003
    Many here have said that the 7c's put Polk on the map... seems you agree Gene... I think I need to hear them.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Many here have said that the 7c's put Polk on the map... seems you agree Gene... I think I need to hear them.

Man you need to throw some cold water on your speakers as it is.:)

Gene,
    That Pioneer is one hell of a receiver. I think this is a testament to the quality of older gear and the relative lack of sonic improvements claimed by manufacturers
    Make it Funky! :)
  • gene stangel
    edited March 2003
    I agree on the pioneer. I just hooked up the output of a dvd-audio player to the sx-1250 into the Polk 7's for the fronts and
    a pioneer sx-950 into Polk 5's for the surrounds. I could listen
    all night. That pioneer sx-1250 weighs like 80 lbs and could pull in an fm station in china if it had to. Glad that I revisited this era.
    Thanks for your comments.
  • SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited March 2003
    My Kenwood KR-9600 at 160 wpc and 53(!) pounds is still going strong after 26 years - a true classic! Connected to a pair of Sansui SP-X9000 speakers with a 16" woofer and 100dB/1 watt/1 meter efficiency rating, they can run you out of the room quickly! :) The older gear is still great!
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2003
    The major difference I've found with older gear is that their rated output wattage is higher than that of an equivalently marked receiver from these days.

Example-

My SX-450 from 1974 is rated at 15wpc..... but it can push my 4 speakers nearly as hard as my JVC 100w amp from 1998 (I use the JVC anyway, 'cause I don't want to hurt the Pioneer.... it doesn't quite have the power of the JVC) Go figure..... I wish to God I could get my hands on the ultimate Pioneer receiver... the SX-1980. That thing was an absolute BEAST, and they're going for over 1k on ebay. Good find with the SX-1250... I'm sure it rocks the house!

DooD
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • gene stangel
    edited March 2003
    Similiar hookup here at the office. A Pioneer Sx-450 driving a pair of Polk Monitor 5's and I can blast the place with clean sound.
    The SX-450 will also easily power four speakers at once with no problem. The SX-1250 is truly amazing though. At 1/3 volume the Polk 7's are at live levels and the ears are asking for more.
    Thanks for the comments
  • FLORIDAMIKE
    FLORIDAMIKE Posts: 7
    edited April 2003
    I've had a Marantz 2270 for years. Really strong, great sound. Rated at a laughable 70 wpc. Mine was bench tested at 105!
    Well, I just got a pair of SDA2s. I'm in nirvana all over again