juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited November 2001
    Options
    hotties who smoke suck, nuff said!
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited November 2001
    Options
    ARG! I can not multi-task. I am writing and mocking-up the LSi Sales & Marketing Guide, getting all worked up over SPITTING, leaving heinous, thread-killing messages on the MTV.com "Real World" message boards, wondering who this SHAKIRA hottie is (queen of the jungle?), and stressing over the fact that the great Leon Fleisher is playing Beethoven (for the first public performance since the early 60s) this weekend at Symphony Hall and I just only now found out about it... And now I have to think about smoking hotties.

Do we still find the GREAT CLASSIC SMOKING HOTTIES -- the Ava Gardners, Lauren Bacalls, and all the cute dames in "The Big Sleep" -- attractive? (I do.) Why is that? When I'm totally turned off to someone I would normally be attracted to -- like, f'rinstance, Jennifer Anniston -- because I know that she is a chain smoker?

Nothing spells ice-down-your-pants like a hottie who lights up, or who has been smoking before she gets to you. So, how come chicks smoke?

Better yet, how come ANYONE smokes? The continued popularity of smoking proves that we are IMMUNE to brainwashing, since the medical community has been desperately trying to brainwash kids into thinking that smoking is bad for the last three generations. And how come the people who can least afford it -- least afford the cost of cigarettes as well as the cost of the medical treatment that is needed later -- seem to be the people who smoke the most?

Let's discuss.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Of course Rita Hayworth, Ava Gardner, Lauren Bacall are hot because that was BEFORE people knew that smoking was bad for them, at that time, everyone smoked. It's sort of a Grandfather clause if you will.

I have no beef with people that smoke, that is a personal choice. I am not one who automatically classifies and treat people who smoke as lepers.

What I don't understand is this, do women think we actually find it attractive? Were the images of the above mentioned babes that enduring?? And more than that, is it ever necessary to show people smoking in a movie? I honestly believe that has a lot to do with it. Young hotties see Charlize Theron spark up in a movie and all the dudes drool on her, well smoking must be ok. I'm not a believer in censorship but I do believe in setting a good example.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    edited November 2001
    Options
    and the money aspect of smoking! Holy Schnikees! that is an expensive habit. My parents spend roughly 200 dollars a month, and that is a conservative estimate, on cigarettes.

Troy
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Right here boys.

Ryder1.jpg

I don't care if she smokes, farts, burps or spits.

She is simply devine.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Cameron Diaz is not attractive. She's wide and flat, plunging necklines do nothing for her, she looks like she got hit in the face with a shovel. So who cares if she smokes?

I'm talking hotties!

Smokers are like cell phone people to me: they are freaks. This reliance on some outside stimulous to fill time or distract from other issues is completely weird. Oy the money... Isn't that weird -- that people spend their hard earned money on this bizarre habit?

Someone should explain smoking to me. Cigarettes, like cell phones, are for suckers.

That's another bumper sticker: SMOKING IS STUPID

And...
    CELL PHONES ARE FOR SUCKERS.

I'm full of em.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• TroyD
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I knew that was coming.....

Troy:D
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Well there's Winona... But you know, she smells like smoke. Her clothes smell like smoke. Her fingers are yellowed with nicotine. She has bad breath. Her hair smells like bad smoke as it caresses your neck when you hold her close. Her house smells like smoke. She can't taste your special, home-cooked seduction dinner because everything tastes like Marlboro.

Yech.
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• TroyD
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Are you just dying to piss people off today or what???

Agreed though, I HATE cell phones. I simply refuse to own one.

I see the neccessity of them for some people but for the most part, no.

BTW, have you ever noticed that the people who need them the least, unemployed people, welfare recipients, convenience store clerks spend the most amount of time on them? C'mon, drop the wireless service and maybe you can move out of the government subsidised housing communities!!!

Troy
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by Ron-P

I don't care if she smokes, farts, burps or spits.

actually, she swallows:D
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    Options
    finally, 2 other people that don't own cell phones. i will not own one, on sheer principle of the fact!
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited November 2001
    Options
    ...really?

joe :D
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Even better.

I'll smoke a big Hoyo De Montery Cigar and then hook up with her. Although I do not smoke cigs, they do not bother me at all.

If...
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by mjk91383
    ...really?

joe :D

i wish i knew, but i couldn't let her go down with her niccotene pasty breath:D
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I'm a ****.

Because I can and do use a cell phone and drive at the same time. 99.9% of the worlds population cannot.

If...
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    Options
    ok, ok, looks like we need to start a cell-phone hater's thread too!
  • TroyD
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I HATE talking on the phone, it isn't a phobia really, but if I never had to use the phone again, that would be fine. Email is the balls.

Like I said, my wife has one, she does a lot of travelling for work in some pretty rural areas so it is a necessity for her.

This is what I don't get though, I have a buddy that I play golf with (cell phones on the golf course should be punishable by death too) that you go to his house and pick him up, the minute he is in the car, calls someone on his phone. For the love of God! couldn't he have made that call from in the house?? I will never understand that.

Troy
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    Options
    One day all you cell phone haters will have one and use one in situations that you complain about.

Soon, everyone will carry there own personal phone and your house phone will be out dated, come-on in and join the furture it's not that scarry.

If...
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by Micah
    And...
    CELL PHONES ARE FOR SUCKERS.
    [/B]

Idiot.

Hey, can we please get my bumper sticker made already? You know:

F*** Minivans

~JB
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    Options
    once all PDA's are equipped with cell phones, then i will carry one by default. i don't want to be a phone call away form every person i know, every minute of my life.
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    Options
    First of all, the "****" remark was uncalled for. That could be really offensive to some people. I need to see a posted apology soon or I'll be peeved. THINK THINK before posting, yo.

End this thread and start a CELL PHONE HATING THREAD, please.

See, isn't this fun?!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• TroyD
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Not if I can help it.

It just seems to me that most cell phone use is superfluous. It's like "Hey, I have a cell phone! Watch me use it!" PLUS 99 percent of these idiots are driving and talking and not doing either well.

Nope, I doubt there is anything that anyone has to say to me or vice versa that can't wait until I get home.

Troy
  • mikemokr
    mikemokr Posts: 150
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by Micah

Better yet, how come ANYONE smokes? The continued popularity of smoking proves that we are IMMUNE to brainwashing, since the medical community has been desperately trying to brainwash kids into thinking that smoking is bad for the last three generations. MC

I'm late to this thread, mainly because I'm a Club Polk newbie who actually tried getting some work done during the day today, and also because the thread apparently morphed into the cell phone rant before anyone tried answering some of the bigger questions, like the one quoted herein.

I'd argue that the continued popularity of smoking proves that we are AS SUSCEPTIBLE AS EVER to whatever is THE MORE POWERFUL BRAINWASHING FORCE in a given situation, which in this case remains without question the tobacco companies. Hell, as part of that big settlement with the states they're running TV commercials intended solely to show us how friggin' great they are rather than remind us that they kill more Americans every three weeks than died on 9/11. The rate of smoking among minors natiowide started tailing off in the mid/late-90s but has stabilized since, all while the tobacco cartel supposedly was being "punished." Yah right. (There are exceptions in certain states, not coincidentally those like CA and MA that run absolutely devastating no-holds-barred anti-smoking commercials on TV constantly.)

Sorry. From what I've seen of this forum there's a lot of really witty stuff here -- I mean, "snot rocket" is going to stay with me for a LONG time -- and I don't mean to be so damn serious, but ... well, let's just say I have personal reasons to be deadly serious about this issue, and leave it at that.

BTW, I'm an ex-smoker myself. It's now > 17 years since my second and ultimately successful attempt to quit. So I know what it's like to fall prey to the tobacco companies' brainwashing, and I know firsthand that nicotine is more addictive than, say, cocaine. I only wish we would go after tobacco co. execs with the 1/100th the fury we now direct toward the Osama bin Ladens of the world, who by comparison are freakin' ANGELS.

What else do you want to know?
    Main HT (family room): Polk Monitor 7 (1987-original owner) (L/R) / CSi40 (C) / RTi38 (SL/SR) / SVS 20-39PC (sub), Outlaw 975 pre/pro / Outlaw 7075 amp, Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray, LG 42LM5800 teevee
    2ch (family room): CRS+ (1987), Outlaw 1050 AVR, Denon DCM-420 CD
    Kitchen satellite 2ch: Polk M3II, Topping TP-20 Tripath amp fed from 975 rec line out
    Home office: Model 5 (1978-Danish Peerless), Lepai 2020A+ Tripath amp fed by laptop dock
    Awaiting assignment: PSW202 (NIB) to be wired inline in home office rig; Monitor 5JR (1988), Model 4 (1983-US Peerless)
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    Options
    we'll let it slide, since you're a newbie, that you decided to work today:D

hope to see you in the daily rants more often!!
  • rmh1
    rmh1 Posts: 9
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Cell phones - aarrgg!!!. IMMHO cell phone use while driving is like reading a newspaper or watching TV while driving. 99% can't do it because concentration can rarely be split effectivily. I do get some amount of satisfaction though when I observe a driver carelessly operating his/her vehicle while talking on a cell phone. I simply activate the overheads, bang the siren a couple of times, make the traffic stop and ticket it individual. While using a cell phone while driving is not illegal in my state, careless driving is.
  • TroyD
    edited November 2001
    Options
    You are the MAN!

Troy
  • TroyD
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I agree with you to an extent. My parents have been smoking for 50 years and couldn't quit if thier lives depended on it. To a certain extent, sure I think Big Tobacco is culpable. However, and I am certainly not making light of your position, I respect and understand it, for people in the last 20 years the choice to start smoking is just that, a choice that individuals make. Tobacco is legal and if we fall prey to the advertising, that, I think, is our fault as individuals. There is overwhelming and compelling evidence readily available that smoking is bad for you. My opinion is ignore it at your own risk.

Troy
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I SMOKE! To the best of my knowledge it was not due to some big tobacco advertising. Maybe it was on a subliminal level, but I never looked at the Marlboro Man and thought, "Oh, if only I could be that cool". It was due to peer pressure.

The tobacco companies have had to pay big money to states. If these states would help pay for smoking cessation, the money would actually be going to something good. Hell, I'd probably quit. Instead, they spend the money on awareness and health care. Who the f**k can't figure out that if you breath in smoke it's gonna be bad? I don't need to see tons of state funded fliers telling me to not stick my hand in a fire because I'll probably get burned. Health care phooey! My health insurance doesn't cover cessation programs. Sure, they'll cover up to a million bucks once I get cancer, but not the patch or Nicorette.

I just learned the other day that smoking addiction is similar to cocaine addiction in that it also messes with your mind. Given the same amount of influence, a smoker (or coke addict) actually receives less pleasure unless having recently smoked. I think it messes with your endorphines. That's why most smokers light up after sex. Personally I just apologize and fall asleep as I'm too lazy to go outside (1 yr. old daughter at home).

I don't own a cell phone. Hell, half the time at home I've got the ringer turned off and am screening. Sometimes I wish I had one, but couldn't see myself being one of those cell heads. After all, no endorphines, just brain cancer. And in the car? I park after getting drive-thru.

Phone companies will cut you off, but Joe down at the corner store always has a couple cells with free activation and free minutes. Or if you prefer, just buy the phone and phone cards. Think about it.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • mikemokr
    mikemokr Posts: 150
    edited November 2001
    Options
    bunch of good points in both of your posts.

-- peer pressure is a very powerful force. It probably was the main factor when I started smoking in high school -- not like anyone was taunting me into smoking, just me wanting to emulate "cool" older kids. So how to change that dynamic? I personally think the most bang for the buck is TV commercials like the ones here in MA that show relatively young people dying gruesome lung-cancer deaths, and their grieving survivors. Yes, it may be stating the obvious to you & me but not necessarily to some young teen who basically still sees him/herself as immortal. It's also up to parents to confront the peer pressure issue with their kids. I've already started gently broaching the subject with my 4-year-old when circumstances warrant, explaining there will be times when other kids may do things that seem "cool" but that the coolest thing he can do is to think for himself, even if it means not going along with the crowd. Because in the end, he's going to face any consequences of his decisions.

-- choice. These days with the health effects much better understood, the decision to start smoking is in theory more likely than it once was to be an informed choice. But given the highly addictive nature of nicotine, I'd argue it's not an ongoing choice -- once you start, it's awfully difficult (for some, impossible) to stop. I wonder how many people start smoking only after they are 18? I bet it's a pretty small minority. (I'm sure I could look this up but I'm even more sure I should get back to work already.) This goes back in part to the peer pressure thing.

-- (tangentially, what REALLY drives me beserk is when a smoker insists that their right to smoke trumps my right to breathe smoke-free air. If you want to smoke, fine, go wild, just get way out of my face. Whether it's still your choice or just an addiction, I sure don't have any choice about breathing. And I don't care if secondhand smoke has health effects or not, I just can't stand breathing that **** anymore.)

-- yes, the tobacco cos. have paid big money to the states, although of course since they're peddling a highly addictive product all they had to do was jack up the price and get smokers themselves to pay the penalty for them. Problem is, many of the states aren't using the money for anything related to smoking -- not for cessation programs, publicity campaigns or anything -- they're putting it in their general budgets. The states have become addicted to this money. The main fault for that rests with the state lawmakers but I think the tobacco companies also cynically calculated that this would happen in most cases.

All right, gotta go already.
    Main HT (family room): Polk Monitor 7 (1987-original owner) (L/R) / CSi40 (C) / RTi38 (SL/SR) / SVS 20-39PC (sub), Outlaw 975 pre/pro / Outlaw 7075 amp, Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray, LG 42LM5800 teevee
    2ch (family room): CRS+ (1987), Outlaw 1050 AVR, Denon DCM-420 CD
    Kitchen satellite 2ch: Polk M3II, Topping TP-20 Tripath amp fed from 975 rec line out
    Home office: Model 5 (1978-Danish Peerless), Lepai 2020A+ Tripath amp fed by laptop dock
    Awaiting assignment: PSW202 (NIB) to be wired inline in home office rig; Monitor 5JR (1988), Model 4 (1983-US Peerless)