SRT System, missing parts...

har_navalta
har_navalta Posts: 957
edited April 2003 in Troubleshooting
I recently purchased SRT System with missing Knob and Remote
Control of the Control Unit.

I enquired Ken about it if they are still available to order, he responded immediately and he found spares. I just received a replacement knob and remote for the unit, today.

I want to express my thanks to Ken for his help in finding a knob and remote so quickly. It helps to know that there are people dedicated in Customer Service that help with problems so quickly. I was relieved to find out that I was able to get replacements, free of charge too. Thanks Ken!
Post edited by har_navalta on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Har, eff the customer service side, how about some DETAILS and PICS brotha. You got the COMPLETE rig? Surrounds, subs, all?

Sheesh. If you don't mind (and I understand if you do), what did it set you back?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • har_navalta
    edited March 2003
    Russ,

I have all of it, pairs of Main Sattelite, Sub, Center Channel and
    matching Surround Speakers and the Control Unit with the Remote Control courtessy of Ken S. I didn't test
    the whole unit yet, the cosmetic skin of the SRT cabinet enclosure wasn't that good, so I am still working on it.
    Here's what I am doing:
    1. Stripping the old skin and replacing a new oak skin,
    finishes to Cherry Red. (Not old black finish)
    Like the one I did to my Unit Rack(very professionally done).
    2. Two Drivers, and Two Tweeters to be replace. Still waiting
    for the replacements.
    3. The Sub foot base has to be painted to look as good as new,
    this will be done in the summer. (To be Painted to Piano Gloss Black
    Finish, not the original flat black finish).

I will post a pic how it will be done and the outcome.

I tested the SRT Sub with the 1.2TL's and the sondstage is
    very outstanding, very powerful, absolutely awsome!!!
    I am very impressed with the outcome, I never heard the
    1.2TL's like this before.

Har
  • RuSsMaN
    edited March 2003
    After hearing Vandersteen 8 inch subs, I swear by em for music, a few 8's done *right* is where it's at....

Keep us updated Har.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited March 2003
    Hey Russ,
    The Lsi15 8 inch drivers can rock when given some current.I was rocking the house lastnight and found the little 8 inch driver to be moving......Soul and all my man
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • har_navalta
    edited March 2003
    Here's the pic of my rig now:) as Russ wants to see...
  • har_navalta
    edited March 2003
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2003
    Har, HOLLY MOTHER OF DRIVERS! What did your neighbors do to you to deserve this? ;)

Great speakers!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • har_navalta
    edited March 2003
    This what I am doing to the other SRT's cabinet enclosure to
    be finishes to Cherry red.

Stripping the old black finish and replaces a NEW OAK SKIN (available at Home Depot) glued with Carpenters glue.

The result will be posted sonner...

BTW, thanks polkatese for the reply;) Terrorizing the neighbors
    with Polk!!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited March 2003
    Har,

You should check out the PSA veneer's. Just peel and stick. If you can't find any up there, let me know, I've got plenty of sources.

Jesse
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• har_navalta
    edited March 2003
    Jesse,

Thanks for the offer, but I found out that this way is much better
    and stronger and it will be naturally handcrafted in real wood, it will never peel because the carpenters glue will penetrate over it
    when it is clamped together with 3/4" board. Between the board and the Oak Skin there will be newspaper on it to absorb the excess glue. When it dries it will look as real solid wood. The paper that is stuck to the skin will be removed by wiping it with a wet cloth. Sand down to smooth and Stain it to desired color and over it apply clear satin varnish.

If someday for some other project I might consider the one
    that you're telling me then I will give you a knock.

Thanks cuz,
    Har
  • F1nut
    edited March 2003
    Har,

Man, I'm talking about real wood veneer. It's got a 3M pressure sensitive adhesive on the back, just peel off the backing paper and apply. No glue, no heat, no clamps, no veneer press, no mess. Once it's on, it won't come off, no peeling, no bubbles. I use it all the time and swear by it. Check out this link......http://www.vandykes.com/subcategory/90/
    I wouldn't steer you wrong, cuz.

Jesse

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• har_navalta
    edited March 2003
    Jesse,

That link gives me more idea, I want to look at them for real. Do
    they have samples? like a little pieces...

I will email them and ask for samples.

Thanks,
    Har
  • RuSsMaN
    edited March 2003
    Good LORD man. SDA, SRT, RTA......

You ****!!!

So what's the admission price to the Polk Museum? Where do you live again, and what time of day do you leave for work? I like you and all Har, but that pics screams a bottle of chloroform /slash/ smash and grab to me....

;)

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited March 2003
    Man get a better picture and Ill put it in a frame and put it on my wall! EFFIN AWESOME!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • har_navalta
    edited March 2003
    Mx,

I will get you a really nice pic when I have refinished
    the SRT enclosure for Cherry Red.

Still a long way to go.

Russ, thats the pic you want to see, right?

Thanks,
    Har
  • F1nut
    edited March 2003
    Har,

I'm sure they'd give you some samples.

Glad to help!

Jesse

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    edited March 2003
    Man.......Russ I'm in on the Hit.When your ready,I got the White van and an awesome set of tools.

My god man,I'm over hear just wanting in...........

That pic makes me want to be a collector.WOW.
    Dan
  • har_navalta
    edited March 2003
    Mantis,

That pic encourages you to be a collector? Man... it is not too
    late yet.:D

BTW, I should get that Cherry Skin rather than Oak Skin:mad:
    also available at Home depot, they have to many choices,
    like Maple and others:( Too late I already done the other
    SRT Sub enclosure.

Har
  • har_navalta
    edited March 2003
    Jesse,

This type of Veneer in your expertise in wood working, does it
    require staining or is it already pre stained?

Har

Pre-Glued Cherry Veneer
    $31.69

Item no : 02010808

Cherry
    2' X 4' *Requires a $5.00 boxing charge Not shown on order*

Wood-On-Wood Pre-Glued Veneer. The Professional's Choice! Simply peel and stick. Our top of the line, premium 3M wood-on-wood laminate pressure sensitive adhesive backed veneers off the following advantages: No messy glue/No solvent seepage/Maximum flexibility/No black line around edge/Pre-sanded/No "telegraphing" through face. *Requires a $5.00 boxing charge Not shown on order*
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    har_navalta,
    agreed it's never to late........
    Dan
  • F1nut
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by har_navalta
    does it require staining or is it already pre stained?

Har,

This and any veneer that is available will require that color be added if adding color is what you desire. Some folks just like to do a clear finish.

Jesse

President of Club Polk

• har_navalta
    edited March 2003
    Jesse,

I am interested to try the Veneer that you are suggesting, I'm sure these are very good.

I will order and give it a try..

BTW, this is the other pair before it was taken apart for Cabinet enclosure refinishing.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2003
    Har: "because the carpenters glue will penetrate over it
    when it is clamped together with 3/4" board. Between the board and the Oak Skin there will be newspaper on it to absorb the excess glue. When it dries it will look as real solid wood. The paper that is stuck to the skin will be removed by wiping it with a wet cloth. Sand down to smooth and Stain it to desired color and over it apply clear satin varnish."

I don't quite understand what you're saying.... and in a later post didn't you say the 'skin' was real wood? Anyway.. if the glue essentially soaks through the wood... (is that what you're saying?) ... if it soaks through and saturates the wood skin, the skin will *not* take a stain.
  • har_navalta
    edited March 2003
    Originally Posted by burdette:

I don't quite understand what you're saying.... and in a later post didn't you say the 'skin' was real wood? Anyway.. if the glue essentially soaks through the wood... (is that what you're saying?) ... if it soaks through and saturates the wood skin, the skin will *not* take a stain.

You are right, if the skin over saturates with the glue, the wood stain will not take it.

The skin is real wood. The purpose of the newspaper in between is that I don't want to glue the 3/4 board just in case
    some glue will penetrate through it. Actually it depends how
    much glue you will spread over the cabinet enclosure,
    you have to know exactly so that you won't have excess
    glue and so that it will not saturate the wood skin. You have to spread the glue evenly over the surface so that the glue will not really penetrate over it.

The cabinet enclosure I was working on is finished. I am happy with it because it turned out perfectly without any excess glue over the skin.

1 done and 3 more cabinet speaker enclosure to be stripped and re-skinned.

Har
  • har_navalta
    edited March 2003
    1 done and 3 more cabinet speaker enclosure to be stripped and re-skinned

Actually 4 more, that includes the SRT Center Channel...

Har
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by har_navalta

You are right, if the skin over saturates with the glue, the wood stain will not take it.

The skin is real wood. The purpose of the newspaper in between is that I don't want to glue the 3/4 board just in case
    some glue will penetrate through it. Actually it depends how
    much glue you will spread over the cabinet enclosure,
    you have to know exactly so that you won't have excess
    glue and so that it will not saturate the wood skin. You have to spread the glue evenly over the surface so that the glue will not really penetrate over it.

The cabinet enclosure I was working on is finished. I am happy with it because it turned out perfectly without any excess glue over the skin.

1 done and 3 more cabinet speaker enclosure to be stripped and re-skinned.

Har

Har,

Have you tried wax paper between the boards? If the newspaper soaks up the glue and sets, I would think it be a pain to scrap or sand without damaging the veneer.

I of course defer to F1's opinions, being that I haven't tried veneering any of my wood wreckin projects so far...

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • har_navalta
    edited March 2003
    Wax Paper? No, I didn't try that yet, but the newspaper was to easy to remove...just wipe it with wet cloth.

So far I didn't mess up any of my projects yet.

I remember when I was painting my car I knew that this project wasn't going to be easy compared to veneering projects. The results were pretty good for painting my car for the first time. The drawback of course for painting in a neighbourhood is that the fumes can cause the neighbours to complain. So I didn't continue painting anymore in my garage.

I realized that in finishing a PIANO GLOSS BLACK is similar for painting car in CLEAR TOP COAT OR WET LOOK FINISHED.

Har
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2003
    Holy frickin' sheite! Gimme those fullrangers. I think that was you.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • har_navalta
    edited March 2003
    Originally emailed by F1nut:

Har,

This piece was stained with Bartley's gel stain. You can spray lacquer on top of it for a finish or apply multiple coats of clear gel stain. Either way, you will need to rub out the finish to acheive that factory finish look. It's called finishing the finish and it makes all the difference in the world.

Jesse

I found the link for Bartley's.
    http://www.woodessence.com/Bartleydefault.html

Jesse,

I think I will color it with Pennsylvania Cherry, the one
    in the picture looks really nice.

I will order one quart, I think this will be enough for the whole
    SRT enclosures.

Thanks cuz,
    Har

• har_navalta