There's nothing quite like Gloating after an M$ failure

carpenter
carpenter Posts: 362
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
... milking the HD / BR thing some more ...
After being a major contributor to the downfall of HD-DVD ( the format they pledged to back from day one)
by boneheadedly not integrating it on the Xbox 360 for free .. They have to mount Blu-ray on the Xbox ...
Man I'd love being a fly on the wall when they make the call:
- Hey MR. Miyagi, its Joe from MS .. can y'all send us the specs for Blu-Ray?

P.S
....... I know MS is still gonna use 100$ bills for TP, over at corporate headquarters ...
"If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
Post edited by carpenter on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    Big news. Thanks

Good way for microsoft to recover some losses. Anyone know how many Xbox 360's are in the market place? Should also be interested to see if this would support the new BR profile 2.0.
  • Kris Siegel
    Kris Siegel Posts: 309
    edited February 2008
    I don't see how this is a Microsoft failure. Granted, if they would have originally integrated HD-DVD it probably would have saved the format but their interest is in downloadable movies. Shortly after they released the HD-DVD add-on they said they may do a Blu-Ray add-on as well.
    Big news. Thanks

Good way for microsoft to recover some losses. Anyone know how many Xbox 360's are in the market place? Should also be interested to see if this would support the new BR profile 2.0.

I think it's over 10 million now but I don't know how much more.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2008
    carpenter wrote: »
    ... milking the HD / BR thing some more ...
    After being a major contributor to the downfall of HD-DVD ( the format they pledged to back from day one)
    by boneheadedly not integrating it on the Xbox 360 for free .. They have to mount Blu-ray on the Xbox ...
    Man I'd love being a fly on the wall when they make the call:
    - Hey MR. Miyagi, its Joe from MS .. can y'all send us the specs for Blu-Ray?

P.S
    ....... I know MS is still gonna use 100$ bills for TP, over at corporate headquarters ...

Do you know how stupid a statement this is? The choice was made to keep the costs of the units down -- they weren't in any position to be giving "free" HD-DVD players away at any time, which shows a complete misunderstanding of how a company operates. Ultimately, the 360 just would have cost you more money if they had done that. They made the choice to keep the costs down in lieu of forcing a new technology on the consumer in order to play games on their console.

Microsoft won the battle on the gaming side of the equation, selling more than twice the units than Sony. Nintendo didn't get involved at all and has sold about 3 million more units than Microsoft. Sony clearly won the battle for their digital media. As the prices drop on stand alone Blu-Ray players, only time will tell what people are mainly buying the PS3 for. At some point, the PS3 won't be a bargain to get into HD media compared to the stand alone units.

Buying a $200 HD-DVD player add on as an OPTION was an easy way for many of us to get into the HD disc media that actually wanted it. On the other side, one of the reasons I bought a PS3 as early as I did was for the Blu-Ray player -- knowing I would also have a gaming machine for games I wanted down the line.

Microsoft's decisions definitely helped to kill the format, but they didn't hurt themselves at all by doing it.
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2008

I think it's over 10 million now but I don't know how much more.

20.1 Million - Wii
    17.2 Million - XBox 360
    8.2 Million - PS3
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited February 2008
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2008
    Not entirely relevant, but the ps3 outsold the xbox last month.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2008
    Probably due to the Blu-Ray victory and virtually every consumer website is listing the PS3 as the best BR player for the money...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • carpenter
    edited February 2008
    Yup, apparently PS3 sales tripled after the WB announcements, and PS3 sales is what lifts Sony earnings these days.
    seems like Sony's complete misunderstanding of how a company operates, lead them to win the console war in the long run, even when their sharp understanding competitors had a one year time-to-market advantage.
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2008
    carpenter wrote:
    seems like Sony's complete misunderstanding of how a company operates, lead them to win the console war in the long run, even when their sharp understanding competitors had a one year time-to-market advantage.

Gee...at $70 Billion + in reveneues for 2007...I'm pretty sure Sony understands what they are doing...VERY WELL. Only Samsung (among rivals) is bigger but they make lots of other stuff besides consumer electronics and media. MS doesn't count either as it is a different amimal and their electronics are only conduits to sell software.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2008
    carpenter wrote: »
    Yup, apparently PS3 sales tripled after the WB announcements, and PS3 sales is what lifts Sony earnings these days.

It's your misunderstanding, not Sony's. Your statements are also wrong. They haven't won anything in the console battle, but they have kicked **** in the High Def media war. Nintendo has the highest sales followed closely by Microsoft. Sony, while having a great month of sales in January is way behind. Maybe it's because all of the 360 owners have had to buy 2 consoles.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your opinions or anything, Fanboy.
  • carpenter
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for that, I learned something new today.
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited February 2008
    Sony stills has alot of catching up to do.

IMO , the 360 is still the "mac daddy" of consoles...
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited February 2008
    What does the video posted above have to do with this thread?
  • jakelm
    edited February 2008
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    What does the video posted above have to do with this thread?

Absolutly nothing.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2008
    Demiurge
    Wow, still running your Xbox fanboy BS on this forum. Do you even have a job? I guess you work for Mirco$, apparently. Your friends must be real happy with your telling them that Blu-ray and PS3 would be obsolete by XMas 2007. Just can't man up when you have been completly WRONG................ Sad.

Sorry Polkies, this guy would not stop stalking me on this forum and is a reason i don't come by very often. This guy is a freaking idiot.:mad:

ScottVamp Out.....................
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2008
    Scott: You seem to be the only fanboy left on these forums. If you feel like a target, maybe it's because you roll around this forum with the equivelent of a neon "Kick Me" sign. You are certainly giving Ron a good run for the biggest whiner on the board...

Especially your sigs over the past week... Geez man, taken ourselves a LITTLE too seriously?
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited February 2008
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Scott: You seem to be the only fanboy left on these forums. If you feel like a target, maybe it's because you roll around this forum with the equivelent of a neon "Kick Me" sign. You are certainly giving Ron a good run for the biggest whiner on the board...

Especially your sigs over the past week... Geez man, taken ourselves a LITTLE too seriously?

:D:D:D

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2008
    jdhdiggs wrote: »

He really is too dumb to know better...
  • BIZILL
    edited February 2008
    damnit dave. that's all you post? in the clubhouse forum i saw that you had replied to this thread and was prepared for a good roasting. something that bordered placing you on the 'ban-wagon'...:p

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2008
    BIZILL wrote: »
    damnit dave. that's all you post? in the clubhouse forum i saw that you had replied to this thread and was prepared for a good roasting. something that bordered placing you on the 'ban-wagon'...:p

bobhd0.jpg

Sorry to leave you wanting more, Bill :p

I don't think I have known someone who made more crap up than that guy. St. Cliff Part Deux right there. Plus, why confuse him further by disrupting that game of Pong he's got going on in his skull with that pea sized brain. There honestly isn't much more to say!
  • BIZILL
    edited February 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    bobhd0.jpg

Sorry to leave you wanting more, Bill :p

I don't think I have known someone who made more crap up than that guy. St. Cliff Part Deux right there. Plus, why confuse him further by disrupting that game of Pong he's got going on in his skull with that pea sized brain. There honestly isn't much more to say!

yeah, and before he says anything about me, YES!.. i'm proud to be your little sidekick that eggs you on! i cannot formulate any retort of my own, so i leave it to you.;)

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited February 2008
    It's funny he calls Demi a fanboy when ScottyV has the Sony brand shoved so far down his throat, his back is bulging.

scottvamp wrote: »
    ScottVamp Out.....................

Is this an official Goodbye as Ron so politely did today?
  • BIZILL
    edited February 2008
    who is ron? RonP?

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited February 2008
    BIZILL wrote: »
    who is ron? RonP?

rskaryvan
  • BIZILL
    edited February 2008
    'nuff said.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • jakelm
    edited February 2008
    I'm an Xbox fanboy.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000