AMC Amplifiers

Options
izafar
izafar Posts: 814
edited March 2003 in Electronics
What are your views about AMC Amps. Has any one used them. There is one multichanel amp avialable at :

http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/amc150watx5a.html

The price on this is very tempting. 150*5 for $619
-izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
Post edited by izafar on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Comparable to NAD in sound/build quality, if that helps. Good amps.

They have a good price on the 2ch models also, what speakers are you running, the difference in 100 and 150 watts isn't as much as you think. I'd be tempted to load up on the 2100's, (not to mention have seperate power supplies vs the 5ch amp).

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • izafar
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I am running RTi70, CSi30, RT25i and FXi30 in 7.1 setup. Currently I have Carver AV 405 5 Chanel amp to drive front, center and rear surrounds. The side surrounds are driven by Denon 2802 which is also used as PrePro.

2100 also look nice. I can use it power the mains and user carver for rest of the five speakers. How do you compare AMC sound to Carver sound.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • RuSsMaN
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Fairly similar actually, most SS amps in that 'class' are, IMO.

Why not just use the carver? Refresh my memory, are any channels on the 405 bridgeable? It's 100, 110, 100 across the front, and 50 50 on the rears, no?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • izafar
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Yes, you have the correct power ratings. The manual doesnt talk about bridging so I assume it is not bridgable.

So far I am happy with my carver, was just tempted by the price on that amp. I might not buy one in near future.
    -izafar

• RuSsMaN
    edited March 2003
    Options
    The AMC will NOT oustshine the Carver, in quality, period (imo). Carver should be SOUGHT after, if for nothing more than pure power and headroom.

Cheers,
    Rooster