Newly purchased RTi100s

Just got the RTi100s. I have an Onkyo TX-DS787 receiver and a Radio Shack powered sub. I have read the Polk magazine article on set up..but i need some "fine tuned" advice.

1. I set up the RTs using monster wire to the speaker terminals on the Onkyo.

Now the questions

1. Do I y-out the left and right preouts on the Onkyo to the respective RTs sub inputs?

2. Then, do I y-out the RS powered sub from the Onkyo sub preout?

3. What setting should the RS power sub be at?

4. I should set the bass management setting to Main: Large; Sub: On; Center:Small?
Post edited by zskywalker on

Comments

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited March 2003
    The best thing to do is experiment with the different wiring options and choose the one you like best.

I have my RT1000i (which are pretty much the same speaker) setup with a run of speaker wire to each binding post on the back of each speaker without the bridge clip. I set them up as large and use the sub preout to the sub.

I never thought of using the preouts for the mains though, that's interesting.

Derick.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • zskywalker
    zskywalker Posts: 3
    edited March 2003
    Derick,

I picked up the idea on the Polk page, www.polkaudio.com/home/faqad/advice.php?article=bassmanage

What kind of bass do you get from your system setup?
  • dcarlson
    edited March 2003
    Bass isn't much of an issue, my sub takes over where the speakers leave off.

You'll find they are pretty picky in regards to placement. I have mine about a foot or so away from the wall, around 10 feet apart and slightly toed-in. You'll have to experiment to suite your liking.

I find with the speakers (for lack of a better term) "bi-wired", the highs/mids are clearer, although some say there's no difference.

Derick.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • zskywalker
    zskywalker Posts: 3
    edited March 2003
    Looks like my weekend will be shot, experimenting with speakers!
  • dcarlson
    edited March 2003
    Should be fun though...