cooling fan

Options
chefsdm
chefsdm Posts: 17
edited March 2003 in Electronics
can anyone recommend an exhuast fan for my a/v rack? (something like a computer fan, but a/c) any advice would be great...
Post edited by chefsdm on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/

Catalog #: 273-238
    Catalog #: 273-240
    Catalog #: 273-241
    Catalog #: 273-242
    Catalog #: 273-243
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Just looked at the site. the 241 and 242 are the 120VAC models that you would need. I think 22 is pretty damn pricey though. For $22 I would buy 10 bulk 12 VDC computer fans, hook them up and get a little bit crazy making a full wave rectifier with a capacitor to smooth it out. Nothing like your own electricity projects!
  • chefsdm
    edited March 2003
    Options
    thanks- just the info i needed. now, how can I slow this thing down? it sounds like an air conditioner! does rs sell some kind of speed control?
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by chefsdm
    thanks- just the info i needed. now, how can I slow this thing down? it sounds like an air conditioner! does rs sell some kind of speed control?

I think if you're using a computer 12V fan, can add a resistor in series with the fan to slow it down. You could also look at the Zalman Fan Mate I Variable Speed Fan Controller. Do a google on it. It'll probably do the trick.

If you're planning on using a 120 VAC version, I'm not too sure. I've heard of speed controllers for routers (wood working) to slow the rpms of a router which probably would work on a fan but it would be pricey and overkill.

Perhaps you can use a 5-12 V DC computer fan and the controller? All you'd need is a AC-DC adapter. Probably cheaper...

You could google for info on some of the super quiet fans the case modder's use for their systems. Also interesting notes and ways of decoupling the fan with bungee cords and inner tubes. :D

Or, you can get the UV sensitive fans so it'll glow with a black light. ;)

I'd eventually would like build a HTPC. Has anyone tried or succeeded in building one? Anyone try with a Linux distro?

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • chefsdm
    edited March 2003
    Options
    thanks. I bought the a/c version so after some thought i figured I would connect a dimmer switch to it. I will write in with how it works out.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I think the dimmer switch is a bad idea, due to the electrical noise that they tend to generate.
  • chefsdm
    edited March 2003
    Options
    electrical noise? if it is only connected to the fan, is it possible that it could generate noise into the audio system? this is not an area i am familiar with....any advice would help...
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by chefsdm
    electrical noise? if it is only connected to the fan, is it possible that it could generate noise into the audio system? this is not an area i am familiar with....any advice would help...

I seem to recall that dimmer switches were also hard on motors. That's why you needed the expensive regulator for the routers to control the speed.

I hear that dimmers switches are sometimes the culprits for unwanted hum in audio speakers too...

hope this helps. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :D

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • chefsdm
    edited March 2003
    Options
    ok- got this all figured out for anyone interested. Radio shack sells a 4" 12v dc fan for about $18. I connected it to the switched power on the reciever so it only comes on when the reciever is on. I used a variable ac/dc converter and set it to 6 volts. This reduces the speed nicely without introducing noise. The fan pulls plenty of air though the cabinet, is virtually silent and keeps everything cooler than before I had the components in a closed cabinet. Hope this helps someone else!
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited March 2003
    Options
    where'd you get your variable AC/DC converter, and how much?
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Parts Express is clearing out a bunch of different AC/DC converters, several are variable. Depending on amps, they are either $1.96 or $2.50. Shipping would kill that... but you can pick these things up at Walmart for $8-10.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=12165972&St=2156&St2=37604807&St3=36960014&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=117694&DID=7
  • chefsdm
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I had one laying around-probably ten years old at least. archer brand- voltage variable by a sliding switch. I am sure you can find something similar- probably labeled "universal" or something like that. try walmart, radio shack etc... good luck