sa-he100 panasonic reciever

Options
wolves10
wolves10 Posts: 71
edited March 2003 in Electronics
...i already posted this in that basic hookup forum, but realized that i should have posted it in here... and I can't delete it..
sorry about that, kinda new to the forum.
---
im interested in buying a new reciever...i've picked out a panasonic reciever but I'm not sure if it's any good.. My price range is pretty low, and the Panasonic SA-HE100 seems to be so much for so little... it's usually around $499 CND, but often goes on sale for $399

you can see the specs of the reciever here

for more information you can download the whole manual in PDF format.. which you can download here

please give me any feedback on the reciever

...i'm sure it doesn't match up to other Marantz and Harmon Kardon recievers but please let me know if its worth the buck..

thanks in advance for your help
-wolves10
www.apogeetek.com
Post edited by wolves10 on

Comments

• swillis55
    swillis55 Posts: 18
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Take a look at this link:

http://www.soundandvision.netscape.com/electronics/ns/article/0,aid,190,00.asp

Very nice review. Probably "best bang for your buck" receiver on the market.

Cheers,

Sean
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Actually wolves, you posted twice over there and I answered once...

Here, I copied and pasted my earlier reply, but I'm not going to chase you all over the forum ;)

============================================
    First, this was Consumer Reports top rated AVR, so it's a very decent HT entry unit.

The power spec's in your link are a bit pumped up by the fact they rated into a 6-ohm load. The unit does more like 70 or 80 wpc into an 8-ohm, but that's still not too bad, if your room is fairly small.

I happen to have one, NIB, which I bought for my daughter for Christmas. She declined it because she said she doesn't have space for "a big" HT set up like Dad's. I did not return it because it was mail order and the restock charge was way too much (like 25% of what I paid). It's the black model.

I was going to list it on ebay, but if you want my BIN price, it's $254.83 US + S&H. That's what, about $320 CA? I don't know the exact current exchange rate. This price is exactly what I paid.

Warranty wise, it would be one of those through me to the dealer I bought it from, as they were not an authorized. But you have to judge the likelihood of it needing servicing in the next couple years. It's not likely, but if it happened, I'll be here.

I did open the box to ensure it was working before I gift-wrapped it. Just hooked up the FM antenna and plugged in a pair of headphones and it was fine.

If you're interested send me an e-mail and we'll work it out. I can send Pix if you like and even the CR review. My addy is in my profile, and it is unblocked.

One last thing, you double posted this thread. You probably can't delete the duplicate, but you can "Edit" your post. Just hit the edit button in the lower right, delete all your text and type in "Oops... double posted" or something to that effect. No biggie it happens, but it messes up the communication when half respond to one, etc….

Let me know...
    ==============================================

Now please go kill both those other posts.

Also, be sure your option to get e-mails when someone replies to a post you're made is turned on. Makes it a lot simplier to communicate.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • wolves10
    wolves10 Posts: 71
    edited March 2003
    Options
    thanks for the replies everyone
    great help.. sounds like a pretty good reciever
    -wolves10
    www.apogeetek.com
  • Jargan04
    Jargan04 Posts: 10
    edited March 2003
    Options
    If you want a great low budget reciver that will do almost anything go look and listen to the Pionner VSX-D811S. That is what I got. It does DTS,DTS-ES,6 and 7channel speaker out. If\t also has PREAMP outputs on it. I got mine for $295.00 plus S/H brandnew off ebay. They are onsale right now at curtchfield for $350.00
  • Tour2ma
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Hey man, go start your own "decent sound on the cheap" thread... I'm selling here... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Hey man, go start your own "decent sound on the cheap" thread... I'm selling here... :D

that's crack me up, Tour....and then there's always ebay...:lol:
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Tour2ma
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Thanks, polka... I hope Jargon was equally ammused. That was the spirit with which the post was intended. As was my reply to Russ, etc, etc...

Ya gotta have fun whenever you can, wherever you can...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Yeah, I hear you!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Tour2ma
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Well, I'm glad it's lunchtime, cause I gotta eat some crow...

I thought we were in my Pannie ad thread, turns out we're in Wolves's "your opinions on this Pannie, please" thread. :eek:

Total apologies here to you Jargan... you're helping and I didn't notice that...

... so much for my fun "anywhere" bit... I guess at least it should be in the right area code... now I gotta give me the old... STOOPID!!!!

BTW Wolves, I think you're really talking about the new 100/S that replaced the 100. The "S" is a 6.1 AVR... my 100's a 5.1. I'm assuming that difference is why you never showed interest in my unit.

Anyway... where was I??? Oh yeah.... STOOPID!!!!
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Jargan04
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Well, I'm glad it's lunchtime, cause I gotta eat some crow...

I thought we were in my Pannie ad thread, turns out we're in Wolves's "your opinions on this Pannie, please" thread. :eek:

Total apologies here to you Jargan... you're helping and I didn't notice that...

... so much for my fun "anywhere" bit... I guess at least it should be in the right area code... now I gotta give me the old... STOOPID!!!!

BTW Wolves, I think you're really talking about the new 100/S that replaced the 100. The "S" is a 6.1 AVR... my 100's a 5.1. I'm assuming that difference is why you never showed interest in my unit.

Anyway... where was I??? Oh yeah.... STOOPID!!!!

It cool man, no hurt feelings here. Like you said, I was just trying to help. I started out with a Pannie, they are good or lowbudget systems.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Pioneer Elite VSX-41 (Can be had for 460 on ebay or Online stores)
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Jargan04
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    Pioneer Elite VSX-41 (Can be had for 460 on ebay or Online stores)

That is what I was going to buy, but I'am a poor highschool student. That and my old reciver bit the dust and I had not been able to use my speakers for over a month already. I want to upgrade to the VSX-45TX soon hopefully.
  • BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited March 2003
    Options
    The Panasonic SA-HE100 has all the bells and whistles, but remember it is a digital amp, and in return it sacrifices sound quality to some extent! The THD numbers are very high and easily distinguishable to the ear...at least my ear anyways...

Good Luck
    -BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • swillis55
    swillis55 Posts: 18
    edited March 2003
    Options
    The THD is high for 6 ohms. Here is a quote off another board regarding the THD:

"the panasonic has 100W into 6 ohms. which is equivilent to
    75W into 8 ohms..(ohms law)

these are the specs for the denon 1403
    70 watts per channel into 8 ohms, <.08%THD, 20Hz - 20 kHz •
    100-watts per channel into 6 ohms, 1kHz, <.7%THD
    (the THD is less at 8 ohms because the resistance is higher and
    less current is getting through the processor. you can see it
    jump to 0.7% when running the denon at 6ohms)

here are the ones for the panasonic
    100W x 6 (1kHz, 6 ohms, 0.9% THD)
    75W x 6(1kHz,8 ohms, 0.0675% THD)
    the only real difference that i can see is that the panasonic has
    0.2% higher THD @6 ohms.which doesnt really matter because
    im gonna be running it at 8ohms any ways.

and it has DTS-ES and DD-EX, A/B speakerselection, component
    and s-video switching and 4 digital inputs(3 optical 1 coax)the
    only real draw back that i have found is that the speaker outputs
    for the b speakers and all of the surounds are push ports and
    not binding posts.

Vs. the Denon which has composite video switching and 2 digital
    inputs (1 optical i coax)

Both the Denon and the panny run at a 24 bit /96kHz DACs"

Cheers,

Sean
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,102
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I like the Pioneer Elite - Plenty of clean power, you can turn it up to ear splitting levels with very little THD. It is well worth the money, built in fans that turn on/off automatically. Awesome looks, great setup. Not a bunch of bass reponse but that can be fixed. It has preouts also that leaves you with alot of room to upgrade in the future.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.