Old Polk / New Polk - "The Generation Gap?"

Options
I recently decided to abandon my "purist" stereophonic roots and take a walk on "the dark side" of 5.1 Home Theater. My first step was an upgrade of my 16 yr old Onkyo Amplifier. I replaced it with a Yamaha RX-V1300 receiver. (100 "Yamaha amps", which are probably equal to about 140 "normal amps" <smile>). Once I fired up the new amp, I was so impressed with the sound that I decided to keep my old (1987) Monitor 10B's and try to build a home theater system around it. I purchased a CSI40 center channel, FXI30 surround channels, and a PSW404 subwoofer to complete my new "home theater" system.

The concern I have is matching the tonal quality of the new and old speakers. When I try to "balance" the surround system using the Yamaha's test setup "tone" (really sounds like static), the L/R front speakers have a noticebly different (much deeper) sound. (I'm not sure if this is normal. The only adjustment that I ever needed to make on my trusty old Onkyo was with the big freak'in knob labeled "VOLUME"! <smile>) The base also sounds a little "disjointed" at times betwen the front channels and the subwoofer, particularly during movie scenes ith low frequency effects. I'm currently running the subwoofer off the Sub-out jack of the amplififer. (Yes, I realize this is not the recommended "Polk Way".)

The question that I have is would I be better off wiring the front speakers off the sub the "Polk Way" and calling the front speakers "small" on the surroundsound setup? My concern is that I don't want to degrade the system's excellent stereo (i.e. music listening) sound for for the sake of 1 or 2 movies a month.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Ben
Post edited by hertzlbl on

Comments

• BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forums,

I would leave the sub connected to the sub output, and set all of your speakers to small. Then, if applicable, set the crossover on the Yamaha to 80 Hz and set the corssover on the sub to its wide open position. This should eliminate the bass problem. The test tones are going to sound different becasue the tweeters are different.

Try the following to get a better system ballance:
    Get a radio shack SPL meter.
    Use your center channel as a reference turn up the main volume until your meter reads 75db from you main listening position.
    Leave the volume control alone and calibrate the rest of the speakers form the same location.

This will give you the closest match that you can achieve with your current setup.

Good Luck,
    -BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • bignorm
    bignorm Posts: 120
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I have the same Yammy you have....check the manual..(page 55-56 around there). there is a 5 band equalizer setting for the center channel to help you timbre match to your mains

:p
    Eliab/Dave Abrams calibrated Panny
    Yamaha,Denon,Toshiba "in the rack"
    Polks all around
    SVS on the floor
  • gacole2000
    gacole2000 Posts: 255
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I also have a similar Yammy (5590). The cutoff is auto at 90 Hz. Use the sub out jack and the unfiltered LFE input on the sub. Set all speakers to small. I had a similar problem using BA A-100's as my mains. An SPL and the center EQ tweaks helped tremendously. Good luck!

Greg
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V661
    DVD: Yamaha DV-C6480
    BR: Samsung 1600
    Mains: Polk RT55 (bi-amped)
    Center: CS300
    Sides: FX1000
    Rears: RT/FX
    Subs: SVS 20-39 PC+ 12.3 & DIY SVS 12.2
    Projector: Optoma HD70 w/ 106" Elite Screen
    Power: Panamax MAX 5100
    Remote: Harmony One
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Hey BL, fast learner you are...

Welcome hertzlbl, old "newbie's" are more than welcome here. No age discrimination here, else I'd been bounced months ago...

You've seen above some of the best examples of the kind of help we can get getting into HT. In exchange we can help the young-uns set up TT's to handle this "new" vinyl music medium they happened upon, e.g., “yes, you do need to boost the TT’s output a bit before feeding it to your AVR, it’s called a phono-pre-amp sonny :D ”… stuff like that…

And we have a good time to boot…
    mixed-smiley-032.gif
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD