DIY Interconnects

Options
zingo
zingo Posts: 11,258
edited February 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
So I'm thinking of taking the next step and make my own RCA interconnects. (I figure that I already make my own speaker cables, this is probably the next step). I was looking at silver wire, but that's pricey stuff. I found some Belden 82761 for the cable and GLS Plugs for the connectors. Seems like they would work well together, and the cable looks like it might sound good.
Post edited by zingo on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Ben62670 is the guy to talk to about DIY cables.
  • zingo
    edited January 2008
    Options
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2008
    Options
    I tried that cable, and it isn't worth it. A local supplier had it, and it was flat sounding. I would look at using a good coax cable that would fit those connectors nice. the solid center would make for some nice sound, and very little time involved with making them.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2008
    Options
    That Beldon looks interesting,how many feet per box?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • zingo
    edited January 2008
    Options
    The supplier I looked at, Westlake Electronic Supply, sells it in pretty much any length you want. That is where I get my Canare 4S11.

Ben, I know that coax is used for 75 ohm video. It works for audio just as well?
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    The supplier I looked at, Westlake Electronic Supply, sells it in pretty much any length you want. That is where I get my Canare 4S11.

Ben, I know that coax is used for 75 ohm video. It works for audio just as well?

From what I hear excellent inexpensive cable. You have to get the right insulation between the signal wire, and the shield, which is used as ground. Do a search on DIY interconnect RG6 Beldon, and you should be able to find the right wire. If you get the wrong insulation this wire will be flat also;)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • zingo
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Thanks, I'll look into that. Using the shield as ground was my other question. :)
  • zingo
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Does this look like the right stuff: Belden RG6, because 10 cents per foot is awesome!
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    Options
    I am not sure, but I think it is some sort of foamed Polyethalene.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • zingo
    edited January 2008
    Options
    So I want the Polyethalene insulation, right? It also says this stuff is triple shielded. Wow...
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Do a search. A lot of guys have used coax with great success. Also there are some compression RCA fittings that work well with it. I think PE has them.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • zingo
    edited January 2008
    Options
    I'll check that out, and thanks for all the help ben.
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2008
    Options
    The shielding on RG6 is usually not that fantastic due to the fact that the cable is being mass produced for cable tv. If you're going with Belden cable, don't worry because their cable is well built.

75 ohms is not going to be a problem for audio, since the receiver and transmitter aren't balanced at 75 ohms to start with. This is a factor for transmission losses, which you won't have over 12 foot lengths.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    Options
    75 ohm is usually for digital coax and sub hookup. Interconnects are usually, but not always less than 75 ohm.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • zingo
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Obviously, silver would be the best to use. Can that just be bought at any electronics place, or is it a special order?
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    Obviously, silver would be the best to use. Can that just be bought at any electronics place, or is it a special order?

I have looked into silver coax, and it is all stranded, and expensive. I would suggest sticking with a solid copper on that design.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • zingo
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Well that makes sense on the coax. What about just using silver wire? I saw a design where you take an insulated wire and wrap another the outside as the ground, then put insulation over the entire thing.
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Hi Zingo,
    If you want to try a set of silver ic, let me know. I live in seattle and have a set you can borrow to hear what they are like. I find them to be better than any copper type I have listened to. PM me if you are interested.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server