Anybody seen or heard this motherboard?

Options
Shizelbs
Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
edited March 2003 in Electronics
Yeah, thats right, heard this motherboard?

http://www.aopen.com/products/mb/ax4b-533tube.htm

I saw this a couple months ago and I guess it hasn't left my mind. What are your initial thoughts? Anybody have any experience with this? Would this only be good if you were pushing your sound straight from your computer, no sound card, to computer speakers that typically have no receiver in the middle? I think that is clear enough? AOpen is making the claim that this is an "audiophile grade" motherboard. The price tag is pretty hefty for this too. My favorite online computer site has it listed for $180, and they even have it in stock. I can't see this being a really big seller. From what I've noticed too, most big computer enthusiast don't know crap about audio. They all love the little satellites and the mini sub that fits under their desk.
<All computer enthusiasts at this site are excluded>
Anyways, just curious. I am sure this should stir up some conversation.
Post edited by Shizelbs on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Quit worrying about the audio performance on your computer and work on that stereo system! :p:p

Do you use your computer as a CD source as well or do you have a seperate CD player?

In regards to the topic, it's been around for a while but I don't know of anyone that has it. I've never heard of that brand, but it looks like it's got a good chipset and specs. Why don't you get one and let us know what you think? :D heheh
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2003
    Options
    No no no no, I am not considering this mobo. I was just curious. Part of this hobby is learning, and I just want to hear what people think and have to say. Thats all. Gesh :)
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Oh, I do have a seperate CD source.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I'm just curious why some people dont like good sound from their computers? I look at my computer similar to my home theater. it's' their to keep me entertained. Yes a computer can also be a learning tool, where a home theater can not be.
    So therefor I upgraded my Santa Cruz sound card to a Sound Blaster Audigy one. sound got better. it's not much different that I would upgrade my receiver in my ht. it just costs tons less money. :p

But not everyone spends as much time on their computer as they do watching the boob tube I guess. Good sounding audio is important to me.. whether it be from my puter or ht or even the zoom, zoom car.

Is it possible to hook up a PSW1200 to my computer? JK!!

later, Al
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited March 2003
    Options
    It's a gimmick.

It uses a Realtek AC'97 part which has a S/N of like the high 80s. I don't care what kind of amp you put in front of that, it's gonna sound like crizzap.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Steve@3dai
    It's a gimmick.

It uses a Realtek AC'97 part which has a S/N of like the high 80s. I don't care what kind of amp you put in front of that, it's gonna sound like crizzap.

Steve,

Just curious. Would using the S/PDIF output to a HT receiver bypass this problem? Would it work for streaming MP3, Wav, etc or is it specifically for DD 5.1/DTS ?

Thanks

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • Steve@3dai
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Yea, it would bypass that problem, but then there isn't much point to having a tube amp for headphones :) SPDIF would output PCM just like your cd player would.

AC'97 solutions on motherboards have come a long way actually. Much better than the first ones.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Steve@3dai
    Yea, it would bypass that problem, but then there isn't much point to having a tube amp for headphones :) SPDIF would output PCM just like your cd player would.

AC'97 solutions on motherboards have come a long way actually. Much better than the first ones.

Well, I figured the tubes were for some case modders who wanted a slightly different case light...

Anyways, excuse my naivetety but I was just wondering why not just find a good card with optical tos/or analog s/pdif out and let the DAC in the receiver do the conversion. i.e. digital is digital?

I'm afraid I find the specs for the Audigy xyz and other cards a bit confusing.

Thanks

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2003
    Options
    the 1 st problem is it is designed 4 a p4 3gig chip. with will cost you 1000 for the chip. you can do a dual prossesor 2000 and for about 400-450
  • Steve@3dai
    edited March 2003
    Options
    It's designed for any P4, which can be from low $200s to the most expensive, it's not "designed for a 3ghz chip" it just supports it.

Check out the nForce2 by NVidia, it does real-time Dolby Digital encoding out the SPDIF ;)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Steve, do you have the nForce2 board, or are you just mentioning it?
  • Steve@3dai
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I don't have one personally, but I've played around with them.

Supposed to be the best Athlon platform right now.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I don't think the single preamp tube would make any real difference in the sound. Actually, if I wanted that sort of arangement I would get a "Blue Tube" stereo tube preamp and plug it in between the computer output and and amplifier. $70? on ebay and should be better quality.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D