2 sr 12 recommended enclosure

Ecin
Ecin Posts: 61
edited January 2008 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I have 2 sr 12 subs and 6.5 components. Reading the white paper they recommend a larger enclosure becuase of the bass output of the speakers. I read somewhere 1 inch mdf on one panel and 3/4 on the rest.

My questions are

should i put 1 inch in 1 panel and which?

SHould i do a dual sealed or two sealed boxes?

is it safe to get a 1 ohm amp x 1300-1400, since is cheaper?

THese subs are beautiful, will plexi deteriorate the sq, and how should i place it?

I'm waiting for the eclipse amps to hit the market to power my sr6500 can i use a cheap amp that does 125 x 2 @ 4 ohms till i get the better amps? My brother in law has a lot of amps.
Post edited by Ecin on

Comments

• BradimusMaximus
    BradimusMaximus Posts: 60
    edited January 2008
    Ecin wrote: »
    I have 2 sr 12 subs and 6.5 components. Reading the white paper they recommend a larger enclosure becuase of the bass output of the speakers. I read somewhere 1 inch mdf on one panel and 3/4 on the rest.

My questions are

should i put 1 inch in 1 panel and which?

SHould i do a dual sealed or two sealed boxes?

is it safe to get a 1 ohm amp x 1300-1400, since is cheaper?

THese subs are beautiful, will plexi deteriorate the sq, and how should i place it?

I'm waiting for the eclipse amps to hit the market to power my sr6500 can i use a cheap amp that does 125 x 2 @ 4 ohms till i get the better amps? My brother in law has a lot of amps.

The larger enclosure will give you flatter response, a smaller enclosure will give a punchier sound. The 1" thick panel is intended for the baffle - which is the panel you mount your sub in. It has to handle the most stress. You can make dual sealed or two sealed and have equal results. If you make one box for both subs use a divider so that if one sub fails it won't take the other with it. Two separate boxes could possibly be stronger but will surely be heavier and require more work to make. Plexi won't deteriorate the sound if you use an extremely thick piece, but it will make the box much more complicated to design. Having a plexi panel means you have to seal and secure that plexi which can be a pain. As for you amplifier question are you powering just one set of components? Does the amplifier put out 125 RMS x 2 @ 4 ohm or is it 125 x 2 peak power?
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT
    Alpine SPX-137R
    Alpine SPR-69LP
    Panasonic CY-PA4003U
    Kenwood KAC-X520
    Polk SR124
    :D
  • Ecin
    Ecin Posts: 61
    edited January 2008
    Where can i get a design with plexi glass for this project, of course I want to build it solid.

yeah i just have one set of components and i have access to borrow amps that range in different wattages including over 125w rms per channel.
  • BradimusMaximus
    BradimusMaximus Posts: 60
    edited January 2008
    http://www.woodlawncabinetry.com/index.html

Here is a place that is experienced and can design it for you and even build it if you wish.
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT
    Alpine SPX-137R
    Alpine SPR-69LP
    Panasonic CY-PA4003U
    Kenwood KAC-X520
    Polk SR124
    :D