Subwoofer Cable Length Question

grousang
grousang Posts: 11
Hey all -

I just got a Monster M Series subwoofer cable that's supposed to be the end all be all (yeah, we'll see). Anyway, I ordered the 12-foot length because the run from my receiver to PSW450 is only about six feet, if that, so I wanted the shortest possible cable.

Well bless their little hearts, the company from which I ordered it was out of 12-foot cables so they sent me the 18-footer at the same price. Of course, I didn't want the 18-footer. Figures huh?

So my quesiton is this: How should I run the cable to the sub? Do I need to extend the entire cable, or can I loop it and tie off the loop with garbage bag ties or string (I know, real high tech). My worry is that by looping it, the signal will degrade. However, if I'm to extend the entire cable, it's gonna look like **** in the theater.

Any suggestions are appreciated. And for those of you who helped me pick out my rear channel surround, I got the CSi30 up on a nice $12 shelf from the Home Depot and it looks fantastic!
Post edited by grousang on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2003
    I use a 18ft sub cable too. and i do not find any loss of the signal. as for looping or extending it out. as long as you don't put a hard bend in the cable.. either willl be fine. there will be no difference whether you loop, coil, or fasten it with cable ties, rubber bands, or duct tape. ha ha ha.
    but DO stay away from cute pink bows.. :p or anything with tassels on the ends.
    I'm just kiddin ya of course. I just let mine extend out and I take up the slack behind the sub.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2003
    Wrap it AROUND the outside of the subwoofer - it will create a high gauss density magnetic field feedback inductor every time the VC moves in the coil gap, thereby increasing output capability by 15-20 dB and extending the FR to below 10 Hz.

We tried it on my buddy's PSW202 and now it easily outperforms my SVS....amazing. If I had only known about this simple but highly effective mod before plunking down $800 for my sub. Ah well, live and learn...........
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • grousang
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    Wrap it AROUND the outside of the subwoofer - it will create a high gauss density magnetic field feedback inductor every time the VC moves in the coil gap, thereby increasing output capability by 15-20 dB and extending the FR to below 10 Hz.

We tried it on my buddy's PSW202 and now it easily outperforms my SVS....amazing. If I had only known about this simple but highly effective mod before plunking down $800 for my sub. Ah well, live and learn...........

Really? That's amazing. I've never heard of that before. You continue to be a wealth of information good Doctor. Now, I keep my grill on, so am I to just wrap it from back to front around the grill? Or should I try to keep it above or below the grill.

Also, since I followed your sub hookup suggestions with my Sony DA2ES, will I want change the cutoff frequency, or anything else for that matter, now that I have this DB increase? Thanks again.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by grousang

Really? That's amazing. I've never heard of that before.

You hadn't heard of it before because Doc hadn't pulled it out of his ****, yet.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2003
    the good Dr. has a sense of humor i see. :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Sorry grousang - having a litte fun at your expense. We pull stuff like this every now and then, and I figured it was time for some levity.

I stand ready to assist you (for real) with all your other questions.

Doc

SVS
  • grousang
    edited March 2003
    Oh boy, did I ever fall for that one hook, line and sinker. Laugh it up boys, laugh it up...:D Good one Doc.

Be warned though, I'm a Scorpio, we enjoy exacting revenge when the time is right! Plus, living in Jersey, I know "people."
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2003
    Doc,
    I have to admit, you've got me there for a second, wonder how that will make a difference on my REL box....good one! it's time to call Tony and Christopher for clean up job, eh Grousang?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Oh **** - I've incurred the wrath of the NJ mafia! I'm SOOO sorry. I'll never make fun of your extra length sub cable again. I'll have to watch my "six" from now on, for I know revenge is a dish best served cold.

SVS
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited March 2003
    Careful Doc, you might me sleeping with the fishes...

-N
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • grousang
    edited March 2003
    My boys tell me that extra footage on my subwoofer cable could come in handy once they find Doc...

Seriously though, it doesn't sound as if the extra footage should be a problem with the signal. Thanks guys..
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2003
    my cabble is over 40 feet and work great. i run 12 feet from revever over and 6 feet across 16 feet then down 6 and 3 feet from wall to amp.
  • mrpergo
    mrpergo Posts: 35
    edited March 2003
    Doc I read your reply and I'm sitting here thinking, what the hell is this guy talking about.:confused:
    Then the next poster swallows the hook:D
    Gotta love this forum:lol:
    Hey Doc on a different note,I was wondering if you had a chance to get to the Dome the other weekend and hear the soundworks Home Theater set up they had on display at the contractors show.
    They said it was 50,000.00 bucks worth of equipment.I had to work so I didn't get over.Just wondered what they had for equipment and how it sounded.
    Mains:RT800i
    Center:CS400i
    Sides:fx/300i
    Rears:RT35i
    Subwoofer:SVS 20-39 pci
    Receiver: Denon 3802
    DVD: Denon 3800
    HDTV:Hitachi 57swx20b
    Remote:MX-500
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Was not aware of that show. Sounded like a nice set-up.

SVS
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited March 2003
    On a serious note.......
    coiling up interconnects,powercords,speaker wire,etc can create an antenna effect.Making the given cable a better chance of picking up interference.Now I wrap cables,coil if you will all the time.I use my noggen when doing so.Keep your wrapped cables away from power cables.
    When wiring up any audio and video system.Runn all power wires AWAY from all low voltage wires.If need be Cross over the power wire.Like the word like this......X........this keep the EMI down.
    Another wiring tip would be not to use excess wire,there is no need for wire to be 2 long.Given you want enough length to move the gear,work with the gear and retain some sort of flexability,but having 5 6 7 or more feet extra is not good.

Back to the sub....I coil my extra sub wire behind the sub,this allows easy movement for placement.Not to mention keeps the head end wire mess down.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • grousang
    edited March 2003
    Well, since this M Series cable has made absolutely no difference in how my sub sounds from my previous cable, it's going back.So I guess I didn't even need to ask this question in the first place! Too much of a financial investment not to have had it make some difference.

Mantis, thanks for the wiring tips. Although there are a couple of places where I cannot avoid having some wires run parrallel for a bit, for the most part I have the power and cable wires separated.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    I don't use Monster sub cable necessarily for the sound improvement. I use it for the build quality and most importantly for the shielding. You might want to think twice before returning it.

Any decent sub cable should be well shielded to avoid picking up stray hum. You don't have to use Monster, but at least use a shielded cable. I have read way too many reports about hum bugaboos being solved by decent grade interconnects to dismiss this aspect of cable design.

Doc

SVS
  • grousang
    edited March 2003
    Oh, I already have a Monster shielded sub cable that I bought about a year ago Doc. It's a fine cable. I just had the upgrade bug the last couple weeks and thought I'd audition this M series model. I have the slightest hum in my sub with either cable attached. By slightest hum, I mean you actually have to rest your ear on the sub to hear the hum. I can't hear it anywhere in the room or during playback of anything.

BTW, are you guys ever not here? Get some rest on a Saturday morning. I've got two rug rats chasing me around since 6 a.m., what's your excuse? This early rising sun is killing my sleep time.

Hey Doc, are you an upstate New Yorker by any chance?