video into receiver...why?

Options
powerfreak
powerfreak Posts: 10
Why does my home theater (onkyo) receiver have video inputs? is it necessary to have the video running from the DVD into the receiver than into the TV?
Post edited by powerfreak on

Comments

• BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited March 2003
    Options
    No, it is not necessary nor is it recommended. However, some TV's offer very few input connections. For example...a TV may have 2 S-video connections and you may have 3-6 components that use s-video (dish, VCR, dvd, PS2, Xbox, GC)...you get the idea. The AVR has these video inputs to allow you to switch between the different components. It will also contain an output (1) that will go to the TV.

It is very common today that most AVR's contain the ability to do video swithcing...but if you need to switch that bad, I would recommend getting a professional grade switcher becasue most AVR's add them in as an after thought and are not of the greatest quality. If you want some video switch box recommendations just let me know.

Later
    -Gary
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • powerfreak
    powerfreak Posts: 10
    edited March 2003
    Options
    nope, my tv has plenty of inputs, I just wanted to know if it somehow was better to run video into the reciever. It just seems like too make wires to me.

thanks!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2003
    Options
    IMO,

The less jumps the signal has to make, the better.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I always run my DVD directly to the TV. You may still want to run a cable from the video out of the receiver to the TV IF your Onkyo has on-screen display programing.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by shack
    I always run my DVD directly to the TV. You may still want to run a cable from the video out of the receiver to the TV IF your Onkyo has on-screen display programing.
    Big YUP to this and a YASSIR to Troy's preceding post. But there is that added, now almost lost, art of recording to consider.

If you do much VCR recording, then the AVR/ AVP's video capability does add some nice multi-source recording capability. Much like receivers do with their "tape out" capability. In days gone by of 2 ch rigs we used to debate the impact the capability of switching of audio sources had on the sound (and tone controls and...). Straightwire and a few other companies made a lot of money capitializing on this debate.

Good AVP's today have good video handling capablity (I think my B&K falls into this catagory) and are now adding digital switching to the mix. This capability will soon come to all AVR's and then we can debate the signal degredation of digital switching.:) Oh happy day...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • cowboyato
    cowboyato Posts: 3
    edited March 2003
    Options
    sometimes if you have a high end reciever you will find that the video will upconvert from a composite signal to s-vid. and vice versa. it also simplifies hookup and simplifies the video switching by allowing the receiver to change the picture and sound, saving you from using two remotes or switching two inputs to watch a dvd.
    I know everything about this stuff, and if i don't i can ask someone who does!!!