Velodyne has spoken. What does the forum say?

bensontm
bensontm Posts: 31
The Velodyne has an internal high pass frequency switch, a toggle switch to turn off the subwoofer's internal crossovers to enable receiver only crossover. Two rca line ins L/R and two rca line outs L/R with the almost always present direct speaker wire connections, volume knob, and internal low pass crossover knob.

Can it get any better in a 12' deep by 18' wide room. I do not quite understand his answer to number 4).

1) Do I need to get a Y splitter to connect to both the right and left line inputs on the back of the Velodyne from my one rca LFE output from the back of my Onkyo 600 receiver?

2) I have selected the Subwoofer Direct (toggle switch to bypass subwoofer internal crossovers) option to use my receiver's 80 Hz crossover. Is this alright?

3) What is the the high pass crossover switch and do I have it set right for my floor speakers? I have floor speakers for front L/R with 150 watt capacity, surround L/R with 100 watt capacity, and a large 250 watt capacity center speaker all five have a lower end frequency of around 40 Hz. I have the high pass switch set to 80 HZ.

4) What setup is the the staggering of frequencies process beneficial for and can it be done with a line-level connection. I have read that double filtering can cause distortion. Is this true?

Velodyne says:

1) The sub will function better using a "Y" splitter into both inputs.

2) Yes

3) In your hook-up you're not using the sub's high pass filter, so it doesn't matter where you set it.

4) If you're calling your speakers large (no receiver high pass filter) then you might try switching the subs low pass filter in and adjusting the low pass somewhere between 40 and 60 hz. If it sounds better this way do it. Two crossovers are not usually a problem.
"Time will tell the tale"

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver
Subwoofer - Velodyne CHT-12
Fronts - Infinity Entra 3 towers
Center Front - Infinity Entra Two
Surrounds - Infinity Entra 3 towers
Surround Center - Polk CS400i
Post edited by bensontm on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited March 2003
    Number four for Velo is saying if your speakers are set to large set whatever it says to do in those settings. If your speakers are set to small set it around 70-90 (preferably 80)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited March 2003
    question 1

Here's a read-up on one expert's opinion:

"This question pops up in regard to using a Y-splitter at the sub end. It’s not normally necessary. Adding the Y-splitter doubles the receiver SubOut voltage into the sub amp. It’s like connecting two elec'l extns out of one 120V wall outlet = two 120V feeds.

It’s said this L&R linelevel feed boosts the sub signal input by 3dB as the sub amp sums this mono signal and passes it along. A 3dB increase at the volume OUTPUT end equals doubling of the sound. This is where the “doubling” reference comes from but it’s inaccurate since we’re still at the INPUT stage.

The reason it isn’t necessary is because when we go to calibrate the sub with our disk test tone, we take that boosted sub output and merely reduce it with the rcvr bass/LFE and sub amp controls back down to our reference level to match the front speakers.

But some people report they dont get enough subout voltage – in combination with their rcvr and sub amp – even with controls turned up. This can show up when the sub amp Auto-On feature doesn’t always wake up. For them, using a Y-splitter often helps as a workaround boost. "

Btw, I'm using the same Velodyne sub as well with a splitter. I remember reading some subs benefit from this connection as some have two voice coils.

It certainly won't degrade your system so go for it ! :)
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • bensontm
    edited March 2003
    Dr. Spec Rules:

Toggle switch set to off to bypass subwoofer internal filtering.

Adjust subwoofer's baseplate volume knob to listener's taste.

Onkyo AV Receiver settings as followings:

1) All speakers set to small
    2) Subwoofer to yes
    3) Onkyo's crossover set to 80Hz

Thank you Dr. Spec.

The desert winds are rumbling.

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by bensontm
    Thank you Dr. Spec. The desert winds are rumbling.

You're welcome - and desert winds should rumble :-).

Regarding the Y splitter - unless the sub's dual voice coils are not wired together (unlikely unless you buy a DIY driver like the Tempest), there is no difference in sound. Adding a Y splitter doubles the voltage and it adds 3 dB in volume and - yes - helps with sleepy auto-on circuits. If Velo recommends it then go for it.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • bensontm
    edited March 2003
    Making a list for Santa.

Can I improve my system with or without spending money.

1) Add a second CHT-12 for the front right side as the present one is on the left. Would the rca line outputs from the first CHT-12 run an active signal into the second CHT-12 with the first CHT-12's toggle switch set to off for the subwoofers internal crossover or would it be better to run a Y-splitter from the receiver with a single monster cable to each subwoofer. This is my present setup and I the subwoofer is turned on and off by the main switch.

2) Replace rear surround speakers with the front L/R Infinity Entra 3s and put Infinity Alpha 50s in the front L/R positions (or some other larger speakers), running all speakers on small to send all bass below 80Hz to the subwoofer. Would running the large front L/R speakers as have well blende bass. My subwoofer has a -+3dB 25 low range.

Option 2 requires at least twice the money.

How would a person connect these two options?

3) I am interested bi-wiring. What are the benefits and does it pose any problems?

Thank you.

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2003
    Theoretically, wouldn't using the Y-splitter reduce your subwoofer's amplifier workload by half, potentially increasing its lifespan?
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by bensontm
    1) Add a second CHT-12 for the front right side as the present one is on the left.

would it be better to run a Y-splitter from the receiver with a single monster cable to each subwoofer

If you add a second sub, stack them in the same coner. You will see a 6 dB increase in volume as avoid the potential problem of the subs fighting wityh each other and forming standing waves which would otherwise not be present.

If you choose not to stack, you will see more like a 3 dB increase in volume in opposite corners. Infinitely variable phase control (0-180) is helpful when dialing in two subs that are not colocated in the same corner.

Running a Y splitter off the sub pre-out the the WTG for dual subs. Daisy chaining can (but not always) compromise the signal strength and quality.

As for you other question - can't answer that - only you can decide. Maybe there are some Infinity owners hanging around, but I doubt it. Larger speakers all around have better room filling presence and power than small ones, obviously.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS