Is there a crossover mod for the Polk R15 speakers?

Options
Phasearray
Phasearray Posts: 437
edited January 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
It just really irritates me that Polk would put out a product with a single capacitor as the crossover and then slap on a suggest retail price of $179.95. After spending several minutes over at the AVS forum and reading a thread about how the $50(when on sale) Insignia http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705307&type=product&id=1138085354138 ($29 a pair last year) is way better than the Polk R15, it really bothers me.

Are there mods that can be done to the R15 to make them sound better?
Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
Front - Pioneer S-HF21
Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
Surround Back - Polk R15 <--Ticket to club polk
Subwoofer - Onkyo SKW-340
Post edited by Phasearray on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Don't believe everything you read, trust your ears.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Why would a single cap make the R15 a bad speaker? I've had two pairs of R15 and always thought they were a great sounding speaker for the price.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited January 2008
    Options
    I've never heard the R15's or the Insignia, so I can't comment on how they stack up against each other. But, there's nothing wrong with a first order crossover on the tweeter and running the woofer full range, provided that the drivers cooperate. In fact, especially in a small speaker like that, the less crossover the better IMO. Crossover parts soak up power and hurt efficiency.
  • zingo
    edited January 2008
    Options
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2008
    Options
    jcaut wrote: »
    I've never heard the R15's or the Insignia, so I can't comment on how they stack up against each other. But, there's nothing wrong with a first order crossover on the tweeter and running the woofer full range, provided that the drivers cooperate. In fact, especially in a small speaker like that, the less crossover the better IMO. Crossover parts soak up power and hurt efficiency.

Well said. I wouldn't consider an R15 a flagship model, but more of an entry level that is better than many speakers in its class.

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    Options
    The others beat me to it. Nothing wrong with that design. I wish my speakers had a crossover that simple.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • zingo
    edited January 2008
    Options
    For example, one large difference between the "older" SDAs and the "newer" SDAs is a x-over with less components. This really helped with the sound as the SDAs progressed. The only time I have been impressed by complex x-overs was a pair of KEF Q70s that I had. They were a four-way system, with over 30 components in the x-overs. But, I think a lot of people would agree; the simpler the better.
  • Face
    edited January 2008
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    The only time I have been impressed by complex x-overs was a pair of KEF Q70s that I had. They were a four-way system, with over 30 components in the x-overs. But, I think a lot of people would agree; the simpler the better.
    Sounds like what I'm dealing with, this is only a two way crossover. http://a290.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/82/l_98b7165a517648731eed907124eaa7f9.gif
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited January 2008
    Options
    I have the m10 as surround back. Cant beat the speaker for the price, but they are not too efficient.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Sounds like what I'm dealing with, this is only a two way crossover. http://a290.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/82/l_98b7165a517648731eed907124eaa7f9.gif

Ouch!!!!,,, Screw that ****. I 'm perfectly happy with my 2nd order xover in my 7's and 4's. You can keep that one.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • mojo_13
    mojo_13 Posts: 22
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has listened to both the insignias with the xover mod and the r15's? I have only heard the r15's and thought that they sounded pretty good for the money.
  • zingo
    edited January 2008
    Options
    I would go with the R15 over the Insignias just based upon the fact that they are a BestBuy brand. That may not mean anything, but I haven't had a lot of hifi success with their equipment.
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Some tweeters can get away with a single capacitor if they're mated with a relatively flat woofer that's crossed over high, although, not many can pull it off. Polk definitely did this to save money.

Now, if you want to see a real man's crossover check out some of the work over at HTGuide.com's Mission Possible forum. For example, here's a pic of a crossover Jon Marsh designed, who happens to be one of the best crossover designers ever. He's even "invented" a new type of crossover, which he calls a cauer-elliptical with an 8th order roll-off.

ModulaNeoD-HFRC3-Graph.jpg

:D

Yes, those are passive crossover parts, not an active crossover layout. Here's the thread I pulled it from:

http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=27218
  • Face
    edited January 2008
    Options
    That's insane.

Just think I was intimidated by this.
    l_98b7165a517648731eed907124eaa7f9.gif
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2008
    Options
    28 parts versus 12. Yeah, a whole different story :eek:
  • zingo
    edited January 2008
    Options
    That's nuts, but might be fun to build! :)