Bourne Identity

Options
Strong Bad
Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
edited March 2003 in Music & Movies
Is this on anyones buy list for tomorrow?

I liked this movie. Saw it in the theater when it came out. I'll be picking it up tomorrow!
No excuses!
Post edited by Strong Bad on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Yepper - definitely my kind of movie. Will be on the big screen tomorow night.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I didn't think I would like it, cuz I heard how much different from the book it was. But I enjoyed it quite a bit. The only thing I didn't like is that there is an unreal scene, that was so blatantly fake, I pissed off the people sitting by me from laughing so hard/loud.
    Good action/drama. Book is better, as usual though.

Shep
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Shep - delete your spoiler or warn ahead of time and space it way down the page of your post so people can skip it.

See below:

Like this.

SVS
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the spoiler bit there shep - can I have another?
    Got good reviews - can't what to see it on the 8 footer tomorrow.
    Think I will hold it to a rental first.
    What is this so called "book"???
    It seems that this object called a ""book"" ruins many a movies.
    I wonder how this thing called a ""book''' holds up against my 20grand HomeTheater.
    Dr. Spec what are the specs of this so called book?????
    Should I trade in or sell my PSW1200 for this book. How do they compare?:confused:
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I've had it on pre-order since before Christmas, can't hardley wait!
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • shepx2
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Sorry if anyone was offended by my post, I thought I was being pretty vague.

Shep
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Shep,
    Thanks for editing out whatever Doc alerted you to... kinda looking forward to my first view of this one.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by shepx2
    Sorry if anyone was offended by my post, I thought I was being pretty vague.

Shep

Shep, even if you thought you were vague in your initial post, you gave enough detail about the "where and the when" to conjure up an image in anyone's mind's eye to the point it will be distracting at the least, or even ruin it for some.

I for one will have your statements in the back of my mind during the movie until I can see the scene and decide for myself.

Just practice good spoiler etiquette in the future, and you won't get flamed.

Hell, this is nothing - MX got flamed so bad last week for spoiling Signs he looked black around the edges.

Doc

SVS
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Matt Damon blows..The books seemed to portray Bourne as an older man ..not some snotnosed kid. ..I know movies chnage books and characters around all the time but they could have at least got someone who is beleiveable as a spy..Matt Damon isnt IMO
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Looks cheesy. Doubt I'll even rent this one.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • shepx2
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Ron, it's definately worth at least a rent. Hell, some of the action scenes are pretty ingenious.
    I didn't think I would like Damon as the lead either, but I was pretty impressed. Considering the way they changed a lot of stuff, he fit pretty good.

Shep
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I saw this in the theater. I think it's a good flick. Check it out!
  • ted538
    ted538 Posts: 63
    edited January 2003
    Options
    just saw it tonight...glad that I didn`t buy it...it was definitely a rental...not a bad movie...just doesn`t deserve to be in my collection.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    Hell, this is nothing - MX got flamed so bad last week for spoiling Signs he looked black around the edges.

Doc

HEY! i edited it...
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The point is it did'nt help the people that had already read it-Mx.:(
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited January 2003
    Options
    This is definitely a DVD to own, a real "sleeper" to watch in a very cold winter day. James Bond finally met his match. The DTS track is wonderful.
  • shepx2
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Yes, I think the DTS track rocked too. I didn't even realize that it was a DTS disc until I popped it in last night.
    I think that the movie was very well done for sound. The surrounds were not overly used, like a lot of movies lately. Sometimes, I feel like I am paying more attention to the surrounds than I am the movie. It can definately get distracting.
    Not so with this one.

Shep
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Sounds like a problem with your surround speaker placement and calibration. No matter how much a movie uses surrounds it should never be OVERPOWERING or DISTRACTING over the front stage.
    Trying to help!!!! :cool:
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    My ratings:

Video transfer SUPERB. Not a grainy image or artifact to be seen anywhere anytime. Excellent detail in all scenes. Rivals the best I've seen. Worth a rental on this alone.

DTS sound excellent. Dynamic range from gunfire is extraordinary in some scenes. Bass is deep and powerful without being overbearing. Surround use is just right. Voices could have had a bit more presence in the room - just at tad recessed.

This is definitely worth a rent or to own. It's a fun action flick, acting is never bad, the plot premise is just rehash with a twist but so what, fight scene choreography is the among the BEST I have ever seen, and they used interesting and high quality gear and firearms (go SIG Sauer!).

Doc

Minor Spoiler to Follow Below - Mostly for Shep:

Shep - I know what you mean, now. I agree with you, it was implausible, but it didn't ruin the movie for me. Good call on that scene.

SVS
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Doc,
    saw BI last night, this is the first time. I thought it was a great movie and glad that I bought it. The quality of the movie is as you described above. Hovewer, on the bonus and alternate ending sections, PQ is considerably and noticably worse. It is consistent across the bonus section, digital artifacts galore? or unfinished raw capture as-is?.....
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    Doc,
    saw BI last night, this is the first time. I thought it was a great movie and glad that I bought it. The quality of the movie is as you described above. Hovewer, on the bonus and alternate ending sections, PQ is considerably and noticably worse. It is consistent across the bonus section, digital artifacts galore? or unfinished raw capture as-is?.....

Polkatese: I have no idea how an image is "cleaned up", but clearly the PQ on the extra's is crappy in nearly ALL DVD's I own. Also, they are not anamorphic, requiring an aspect change also. Oh well.....at least the movie PQ is stellar.

SVS
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Hey Guys,
    Just got done viewing this last night ....For those of you who have not seen this yet ..in my opinion I thought it was very slow....too much moving from location to location.
    As far as Matt Damon goes I don't have much of an opinion of him one way or the other, I thought he was good in this film. I thought the girls acting I think her name was Franka was terrible and almost lifeless at times..and not believeable at all.
    The sound track was awsome and the highlight of the film..even better than the Matrix at some points...I mean bullits were actually falling on the floor and birds were flying around the room, Awsome.
    If you like this type of cloak and dagger stuff like I do..I would highly reccomend Spy Game with Robert Redford..I feel the sleeper vidio of last year....Lot more intelligent script and depth....movie kept moving...
    My 2 cents Peace StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I agree with those that praised the DTS transfer for BI - one of the best I've heard - extremely seamless, IMO.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Think I will hold it to a rental first.
    It was a good thing too. Rented it last week. I was not impressed by the sound or picture quality. Some of the gun fire was nice and loud but that was far and between. The dialouge was nice and clear. The movie was filmed way too dark. This plot has been done over and over. Nothing exciting at all - big snoozer. Waaaaaaaaaay to much hype for a borerline decent movie. 2 out of 5 stars. Even Spy Games was better.
    Two words for ya: Hella boring.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited January 2003
    Options
    video, sound,and efects where great, action good, acting good . 50/50 chance on buying or renting if nether the sound, video or the efects wasnt great it wouldnt be worth buying.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Rented it. My summation, ho-hum. It's just there, no real peeks or valley's, it just starts then ends. I give it 4/10. MD cannot act, he's like Pinocchio, very wooden.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2003
    Options
    A fine entry in the action-thriller genre. Not an all time great movie, but way better than most movies of its kind. Matt may not be an all time great actor, but he's not even close to being as "wooden" as most of the "actors" who come from some type of sports/martial arts background & wind up doing a bunch of action flicks. I'm sure it's full of holes if you want to approach it that way. Most of 'em are.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2003
    Options
    The wife bought it and I watched it last night. The Bass was awsome! I jumped off the couch as the assasin came after Matt in the apartment crashing through the window. When he came crashing through the sound system went bonkers!

I would not have purchased it but the wife liked it. I'll give it at least a 7 as far as films go and 8-9 for the sound track. Matt Damon is not the best actor out there but he does a pretty good job. The chick on the other hand did a piss poor job IMO.

I am starting really amazed at what the SV's added to my HT. Every day my appreciation is groing.

Stunning!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***