Coldplay Wow!!

Options
danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited March 2003 in Music & Movies
I've been a little fed up with the music that's being made lately.. mostly the last 10 yrs or so. Yes thers is some great stuff... but so far I haven't found much of it.

Last Friday was listening to my fave station here and a song came on that grabbed me by the nads and didn't let go. It was Coldplay's " Clocks". It was the first time i'd heard it. thankfully the DJ said who it was. I didn't have a chance to pick it up till late Sunday night. I was out of town and during a 4 hour drive I played the Coldplay CD "A Rush Of Blood To the Head" over and over about 3 or 4 times. I was hooked on the first 5 or 6 songs on the CD.

the song Clocks sounds like and reminds me of early to mid 80's U2, almost sounds like Bono if you are not paying close attention to it, with a little Dave Matthews too.

Great guitar tracks on God Put a Smile on Your Face, and lush melodies. I do have to say the CD ends on a so so note. the last two, even three songs i didn't care for very much.

I guess what I'm trying t to say here is this Coldplay CD , A Rush of blood to the Head is a nice breath of fresh air in music. Had mixed thoughts on it when I listened to it at the music store.. but got it for $12, so I took a chance. Wow, glad I did. While it's not exactly rock on some of the songs, it is very well done and it's my current fave CD.

Anyone else fed up with music right now.. check out this CD by Coldplay.

peace , Al
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Check out the CD they released before "Rush of Blood..." It's called "Parachutes" it's a very good CD also!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Absolutely incredible band, currently my favorite as well.

Catch them live if you can, they're currently on tour. Best darn concert I've ever been to.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Clocks changed my perspective on Coldplay too. I saw them play it live on TV a couple of times and thought it was awesome. I picked up Parachutes and Rush of Blood 2 weeks ago and haven't stop listening to them.

Both albums are must gets.

Those Brits make great music.

Radiohead, Mogwai, Doves, The Beta Band, The Verve, Supergrass are some others worth mentioning.

Derick.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • danger boy
    edited March 2003
    Options
    guess i'll have to check out Parachutes as well. look forwward to it.
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Hi Al... you'll probably really like Parachutes, it's one of my favorites. 'Trouble' from that album is a really good demo tune... it has great parts where the bass starts in later in the song (not sure how to describe it... piano at first, vocals, then the bass kicks in).

I like to use it to test/ show how the sub is mixing in with the mains. It was the first song I played to see how 'musical' my SVS was when I got it.
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I still need to check out The Beta Band
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • dcarlson
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Steve@3dai, check out The Beta Band's "The 3 E.P.'s" some pretty cool stuff. It may be hard to find, I've only been able to download it. :( I'd love to find that sucker on vinyl or CD.

Derick.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • mhw58
    mhw58 Posts: 359
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I love Parachutes and plan on getting the new one. Every song
    on Parachutes is exellent. Other great albums released
    the past decade are The Bends and OK computer by
    Radiohead.
    Mike
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505
  • dcarlson
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I agree and I'll go a little furthur and say OK Computer is one of the best albums of all time.

Derick.

• wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited March 2003
    Options
    OK Computer is the best contemporary rock album that I own I think. Radiohead is by far my favorite band. The Doves are really cool too. Check out their album 'Lost Souls.' Another really good mellow British band is Travis. They're from Scotland and are pretty cool. Their album 'The Man Who' is pretty good. I bought the first Coldplay CD a couple of years ago before they reached stardom. Both of their CD's are great in my opinion. Anybody else here have Radiohead's 'Kid A' and 'Amnesiac?' They're not for the average Radiohead listener. I have both of them and love 'em.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited March 2003
    Options
    How is Amnesiac compared to the other albums? That's the only one I have, and really like it.

'Man Who' was my favorite album last summer... come home from work, take a beer to the deck and listen to Travis. Relaxing.
  • wodom1
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Amnesiac is nothing like the rest of the albums. The only one it even comes remotely close to is Kid A. Amnesiac is good album and if you like it, you'll definately enjoy the other albums. The Bends is a great album, but OK Computer is by far their best. Check out the rest of them. What's your fav. track on Amnesiac? I've always liked 'I Might Be Wrong.' 'Morning Bell' is also recorded on Kid A but it sounds almost totally different. They liked the song so much on Kid A that they decided to redo it for Amnesiac.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited March 2003
    Options
    The first song on Amnesiac is a killer demo. awesome punchy bass and the track just gets more and more complex and fast as it goes on. check it out and crank it up!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • dcarlson
    edited March 2003
    Options
    It's always interesting when talking about a certain band that things usually take a turn to other similiar bands. I hope Coldplay continues to live upto the current hype and don't get overexposed. They have the potential to become one of the greats.

Radiohead almost burned out after the OK Computer tour. They returned with Kid A and let their music sell itself rather than a blitz of videos and radio play. The Meeting People is Easy DVD is a good indication of what they went trough and has some killer music clips. I know of a lot of people who hate Radiohead and it's too bad because they are soooooo great and absolutely, hands down the best band I've seen live. Hope they tour Canada this summer. Other bands/artists I've seen: Neil Young, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica twice, Soundgarden and a bunch more.

Today, I received my first batch of Vinyl which included OK Computer, I Might Be Wrong Live Recordings, and Kid A. I can't wait to get a Turntable and spin those babies. Amnesiac at $40CAN and The Bends are on my wishlist.

If you're a Radiohead fan and haven't seen them live, they're definitely a must see.

Derick.

• wodom1
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I would love to see Radiohead live but haven't had the chance yet. I bet that their shows are kick-****. The last real concert that I saw was the Dave Matthews Band at the Woodlands in Houston last May. That was a phenomenal concert. It was outdoors and just great overall. Another really good band to see live is the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I saw them in New Orleans my freshman year of college at LSU and they put on an awesome show. My girlfriend and I saw Edwin McCain at the House of Blues in Chicago in October. It was a good concert for a date but I would never pay to watch him otherwise. Hopefully Coldplay and Radiohead will make stops in New Orleans, Houston, Memphis, or Atlanta so that I can make it out to see them.

-Josh

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • dcarlson
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I'd like to see Dave Matthews.

wodom1, seeing that you quote Thom, I'm guessing you're just as big a Radiohead fan as I am so I'll tell you a little about how they are in concert.

I saw them in Toronto in an big field like venue, it had a different vibe from any other concert I've gone too. Everyone there was just standing and listening in awe at was going on, very cool. You could tell there were a lot of true fans. Personally, I think they are meant to be heard live. They use a lot electronics that you would think would be difficult to duplicate live. They pull it of better than on their albums. They had a wack of still cameras perched everywhere on stage. On each side of the stage were huge screens streaming the video in different colors. There was even a camera on the mic right in front of Thoms face while he playing piano. Very cool.

Anyway, I can't wait until june when their next album is released and wishfully a tour to follow.

Derick.

• danger boy
    edited March 2003
    Options
    On the recommendation of several guys in here about Coldplay. I went to BB on Friday and bought Parachutes. nice stuff.. I do like it as much as their current CD. A Rush of Blood the the Head.

thanks for steering me in the right direction guys. Beers on me. :lol:
  • dcarlson
    edited March 2003
    Options
    That good to hear, but there's no beer flowing there. ;)