MTX Speakers.

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,080
edited March 2003 in Speakers
I have been seeing MTX speakers on CC's website. I must say, they look very very GOOD. They also seem to have a bang for the buck going for them. Big ol towers for 300 bucks. Has anyone heard these? I read all these raving reveiws, seem to be bass machines. Does anyone have an insight on these?
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I havn't heard them too much, but from the reviews I've read and the general feel I get from their marketing-

"Better make sure all dental work is set before you turn these guys up because they will absolutely rattle your fillings. They are definitely not for the timid," said Director of Dealer Relations, Kelly J. Wells. "Our mission was to produce an extreme loudspeaker that will shake the floor." - mtxaudio.com

-I think they were trying to appeal to lovers of rap and other genres that only use the mids and tweets to give the music words, but my do those woofers move! If you NEED your hard hitting bass, then buy these. If you want any kind of detail then they prob'ly aren't for you.

BTW, it's hard to get a 3-way to work for $300. My guess is that they basically designed a subwoofer and then stuck on some mids and tweets just for good measure.

If you're buying them for the garage like you said in another thread, then thay should be an excellent value.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,080
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by rs159
    I havn't heard them too much, but from the reviews I've read and the general feel I get from their marketing-

"Better make sure all dental work is set before you turn these guys up because they will absolutely rattle your fillings. They are definitely not for the timid," said Director of Dealer Relations, Kelly J. Wells. "Our mission was to produce an extreme loudspeaker that will shake the floor." - mtxaudio.com

-I think they were trying to appeal to lovers of rap and other genres that only use the mids and tweets to give the music words, but my do those woofers move! If you NEED your hard hitting bass, then buy these. If you want any kind of detail then they prob'ly aren't for you.

BTW, it's hard to get a 3-way to work for $300. My guess is that they basically designed a subwoofer and then stuck on some mids and tweets just for good measure.

If you're buying them for the garage like you said in another thread, then thay should be an excellent value.

My mom would not approve of even having my bookshelf KLH speakers in the garage. I doubt she would allow 4 foot giants with 10 inch subs built in! LOL! If she would, I wouldnt mind blowing 300 bucks on them and giving the neighbors a concert. Other than that, they would be just good speakers to move some air and belt some serious SPL. Perfect party speakers or just something to blare.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Prior to making home speakers, MTX used to make car audio right? If so, then they're trying to get their car audio fans to get some home speakers. Most car audio enthusiasts think that home systems lack bass. So it's a good move for MTX to make bass machines for the home to get their fans buying more speakers.

Maurice
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2003
    Options
    We sell MTX speakers at my store. They stink. Don't waste your time. Their DCM brand is quite a bit better, but for the same money you can get Polk, so why bother? haha
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Hey fireshoes, do they sound like Cerwin Vegas? I think both MTX and CV would appeal to the same people(the HIGH SPL fanatics). I don't know, but whenever I see a picture of those MTX speakers, I see Cerwin Vega.

Maurice
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2003
    Options
    They do target the same people. One difference is that the MTX line we have has a horn tweeter. Pretty much everything about the sound they produce is god awful.
  • rs159
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Horns? Basically sounds like a pro sound speaker that they're trying to pass of as something for the house. Personally, I hate pro sound. It's always loud as hell, but not much deep bass. The treble is zingy and nasty sounding, and the mids sound like nails on a chalkbaord. Oh well, as long as it's loud...
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I confess that I used to own some MTX home spkrs. They were entry level bookshelfs from the AAL (?) series, rated at 4 ohms, & I only got them because my minisystem said I needed 4 ohm spkrs & I wanted to replace the spkrs that came w/the minisystem. I didn't know anything about sensitivity, but that turned out ok. I walked in the store (American, fireshoes) & asked for some 4-ohm spkrs & the guy pointed me to the MTX & I bought the cheapest ones they had (approx $130/pr). They were a vast improvement over the minisystem spkrs & I loved them. I don't think they had a horn tweeter. They barely went below 100 hz, but still had better bass than the minisystem spkrs. I think the AAL line has been redesigned & is now 8-ohm. Anyway, I sold them to a cowkr who uses them as rears in a Pro-Logic surround system. However, the spkrs you are talking about are a whole different category, & I say listen to fireshoes.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MIKLSAN
    MIKLSAN Posts: 8
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Has anyone listened to the MTX Monitor line at CC? They do NOT have horns at all. They have 1 inch softdomes. I actually think they sound quite good for the money. Very efficient, and very listenable. They are not nearly as harsh as the previous generation DCM towers CC used to carry. Check 'em out!
  • rs159
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I'm going on a little fun trip to circuit city tomorrow. I'll check em' out then.