how do I remove the glue on the binding posts

Options
danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited January 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
my friend who is working on replacing the binding posts on his $40 pair of SDA1's wanted me to ask how does a person remove the glue on the binding posts? Is there a sure fire way of doing it?

I told him to heat it up with a hair dryer enough to soften it up.. and then start peeling it off.. will that work?
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Acetone will remove glue.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • ESavinon
    edited November 2007
    Options
    wd-40 will remove glue too.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Best way is to mechanically remove it, if you mean that glue "block" that covers wires and posts. I've used a blade and pliers to pull pieces of glue and works great.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2007
    Options
    yes, i am referring to the glue lumps that cover the crossover parts and binding posts connector inside the cab.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Absolutely no need for anything but a tool, like Ricardo said.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I just used a pick tool and it all came up pretty easy on all 3 sets that I've worked on. It didn't take too muck effort to get the old stuff off of them, either. On the 2.3's, I replaced all the terminals with new ones so it all had to come off. Which reminds me...I need to change them on my SRS II's sometime since I have the parts sitting on the floor in a box staring at me.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • ESavinon
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I use an exacto knife to remove clumps of glue on pc boards. If practical, i use a hot knife depending on where the glue is used and the type of glue used.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • Sevenpointone
    Sevenpointone Posts: 12
    edited December 2007
    Options
    You run the risk of shorting out the inductors if the coating comes off the copper. exacto and pliers should be all you need.
    Bob
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Best way is to mechanically remove it, if you mean that glue "block" that covers wires and posts. I've used a blade and pliers to pull pieces of glue and works great.

That's what I've used to remove the hot glue.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    Options
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,848
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2008
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Say it, HAAAAARRRRRR!

That pretty much sums it up,,, FWIW, I just go with a "hot" swiss army knife,,,,I'm impatient.:o
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)