Capacitor shootout

ben62670
ben62670 Posts: 15,969
edited December 2011 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Well I am doing a shootout between 3 low priced caps. Solen's, Dayton's, and Jantzen. I have been using Solen's for most of my projects. I would like to run sonicaps, but they are cost prohibitive for me. I will run each for a week before considering posting any conclusions. I have been fairly pleased with the Solen's, but I have also used an active crossover with the best results.
Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
Thanks
Ben
Post edited by ben62670 on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    I'll be following this one.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    How much more expensive are Sonicaps vs Solens?
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    How much more expensive are Sonicaps vs Solens?

Over 5 times the price:eek:
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2008
    I'm gonna venture,,that the solen's will be difficult to beat(of the three).
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Face
    edited January 2008
    Just curious, which Jantzens will you be using?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    I'm gonna venture,,that the solen's will be difficult to beat(of the three).

Thats what I have received as general consensus from CP, but a fellow Polkie gave me some Solen's because he bought the Dayton's. He liked the Dayton's over the Solen's. I do a lot of modding, and it is worth doing the shootout to me. I don't really have much faith in the Jantzen parts, but I am open to testing them also. It's only $5 each so no big deal.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    Face wrote: »
    Just curious, which Jantzens will you be using?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=027-934&DID=7
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Face
    edited January 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Thats what I have received as general consensus from CP, but a fellow Polkie gave me some Solen's because he bought the Dayton's. He liked the Dayton's over the Solen's. I do a lot of modding, and it is worth doing the shootout to me. I don't really have much faith in the Jantzen parts, but I am open to testing them also. It's only $5 each so no big deal.
    I've also read about people raving over the Dayton caps over Solen. When I re-wire my cabs, I may swap the HF caps, but will leave the LF Solens.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2008
    I beginning to really enjoy post started by Ben. :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    They are really five times more? Well I don't know if they are five times better but the Sonicaps are what I used in my crossover update and I love the way the sound. They make the 1.2 TLs have a very natural sounding tone.
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    I beginning to really enjoy post started by Ben. :)

Thanks Steve. My favorite post by you was when you were rebuilding your Jeep with the kids:) Good to see parents spending time with the kids sharing. They will remember that forever.
    They are really five times more? Well I don't know if they are five times better but the Sonicaps are what I used in my crossover update and I love the way the sound. They make the 1.2 TLs have a very natural sounding tone.

One of the things I want to is try those SoniCap's in the HF(16uf, and less). When I get some more time, and money I will add those to the list. I don't really have a reference type system I can open them up with right now. I am using Face's silver speaker cables as I speak:D I'll get them out Monday:p I would like to comment on the Dayton's, but I don't want to cloud peoples minds. All I have to say is they are off to a good start:)
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Face
    edited January 2008
    Hey, use someone else's cables! :D
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited January 2008
    I've also read about people raving over the Dayton caps over Solen.

I've liked Dayton caps. The Sonicaps have been the best I've used. I'd like to try the Clarity cap or the Silver Mundorfs someday. Talk about expensive! Auricaps are also pretty good (and expensive).
    Carl

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited January 2008
    Gettin ready to mod my SDA-1's I'll be watching close. Good thread Ben.
    Need any help moving the Frankenbastards?:D
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Gettin ready to mod my SDA-1's I'll be watching close. Good thread Ben.
    Need any help moving the Frankenbastards?:D

YES I DO!!!
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008

I forgot to mention I was going to help break them in for free! I am going to have to make a set for my Ipod tube thingie. I have tried a couple different wires on the Ipod tube/integrated, and these are by far the most open/airy. At first they were gritty. They sounded like their was sand in the tweeter, and very thin bass. They have come along leaps and bounds better from there. You should be extremely pleased with them.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008

Hey he's burning them in for you free of charge.:D
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    I need cables Ben. Stop farting around with capacitors and get my cables made!!!
  • lightman1
    edited January 2008
    YES I DO!!!

Let me know. I don't mind driving. 840 miles in one day to pick up a pair of speakers! Dig it?
    Russ
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    Let me know. I don't mind driving. 840 miles in one day to pick up a pair of speakers! Dig it?
    Russ

I have been making them all day! Shoot me a PM of what you want, and I'll shoot you a price;)
    Thanks
    Ben
  • lightman1
    edited January 2008
    I have been making them all day! Shoot me a PM of what you want, and I'll shoot you a price;)

You gonna charge me for helping you move?:confused:
    You Suck!!:D
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    You gonna charge me for helping you move?:confused:
    You Suck!!:D

Cables!
    Look here... a couple of updates
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55854
    Thanks
    Ben
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited January 2008
    Ben,

Go to www.madisound.com and try the cheapBennicBennic . I heard that they were quite bit better than Solen. Also try Clarity Cap which are signifcantly better than Solen but not at Sonicap price. If it is used in a XO, then you may go for the PX range instead.

-fredv-
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited January 2008

Hey Ben, will my karma cables be broken in too!!! :p

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    Ben can you do a solder shootout after? Redo everything with Cardas Silver and then the cheap stuff....maybe a couple others?

Thanks.

(kidding)
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    fredv wrote: »
    Ben,

Go to www.madisound.com and try the cheapBennicBennic . I heard that they were quite bit better than Solen. Also try Clarity Cap which are signifcantly better than Solen but not at Sonicap price. If it is used in a XO, then you may go for the PX range instead.

Thanks Fred. I will will look at them. So far I like the Dayton's over the Solen's, but I am getting sick of Parts Express screw ups. I have placed many orders with them, and they have left stuff out, sent the wrong stuff, and I had a couple drivers go bad. There service is no where near Polk's. I am expecting to be talking to someone in another country there soon:confused:
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Hey Ben, will my karma cables be broken in too!!! :p

H9

If you want to wait:) Actually I just received my order I was waiting on from PE, and they sent the wrong sheathing material. I will have them out probably Friday. Sorry for the delay.
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited January 2008
    Thanks Fred. I will will look at them. So far I like the Dayton's over the Solen's, but I am getting sick of Parts Express screw ups. I have placed many orders with them, and they have left stuff out, sent the wrong stuff, and I had a couple drivers go bad. There service is no where near Polk's. I am expecting to be talking to someone in another country there soon:confused:
    One time, I ordered some 10 ohm resistors for the measuring the bias. PE sent a bag of 1 ohm instead. I wasn't aware of and put them into the circuit, guess what? I ended up biasing a NOS tube 4-5X at the absolute maximum current!! I have to say the lightning caused by arc was quite fascinating, and the tube was RIP instantly :D From this time on, I always check and measure what PE sent.

The Bennic's are surprisingly resembling the Dayton's. I am curious whether they are made by the same manufacturer!!!

-fredv-
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    fredv wrote: »
    The Bennic's are surprisingly resembling the Dayton's. I am curious whether they are made by the same manufacturer!!!

I have heard they are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,707
    edited January 2008
    I have also read that the Dayton's are made by Bennic.