Custom Sub

Options
BeginnersLuck
BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
I've got a questions for you DIY'ers. I have a custom sub with two adire audio tempest drivers mounted in the enclosure. My sub amp is mono output...

What is a better way to wire them, or does it matter?
Each driver has two 8 ohm voice coils...
Should I wire the voice coils in parallel and the drivers in series...
Or the voice coils in series and the drivers in parallel?

Any feed back or suggestions are greatly Appreciated,

Thanks
-Gary
TWFTPQ
Receiver: Outlaw 1050
Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
Post edited by BeginnersLuck on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Is your amp rated @4Ohms?

If so the manufacturer should give you specs for power at both 4 and 8.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • BeginnersLuck
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Yes, it is rated at both 4 and 8 ohm (540W and 320W respectively)
    TWFTPQ
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I would say VC parallel, drivers series.

Either way you look at it, you'll end up at 8ohm, right? I wish there was a good way to get you to 4ohm with all 4 vc's.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • BeginnersLuck
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
    TWFTPQ
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Straight From The Horses Mouth - Tempest White Paper:

3.2 Why dual voice coils?
    After asking about the T/S parameters, the next most common question is ?why dual voice coils?? Most
    high-end subwoofers have a single voice coil; so why dual?
    Simply put, dual voice coils dramatically increase the flexibility of the driver. Most obviously, the total
    impedance of the driver can be changed. As each voice coils is nominally 8W, one can run a single voice
    coil and have a nominal 8 ohm woofer. But wiring the voice coils in parallel will yield a nominal 4W
    woofer. And wiring the voice coils in series will yield a nominal 16W woofer. All in all, these
    configurations allow easy use in low-voltage applications (4W woofer, for use in apps such as car audio), or
    multiple driver systems (16W drivers allow one to parallel 2 to 4 drivers in a single system, and still
    maintain an acceptable impedance without series connecting any drivers).
    Note that the connection flexibility afforded by dual voice coils is equally great. For example, to use a
    single channel of an amplifier (or a monoblock amplifier), one can connect the voice coils in parallel or
    series (or just hook up a single voice coil) to meet the load requirements of the amplifier.
    But, to use a stereo amp, one can connect a single voice coil to each channel. This allows the driver to act
    as the ?summing? junction of a stereo signal, mechanically summing the stereo signals into a "mono"
    driver. One does not need to electronically sum the channels together. This dramatically eases applications
    where passive crossovers are used.
    But the most important benefit for dual voice coils is flexibility for the T/S parameters. One can actually
    ?dial in? a desired Qts of the driver, by resistively loading one voice coil and actively driving the other.
    This configuration, which we call Resistively Damped Operation (RDO), uses the second (undriven) voice
    coil as an electromagnetic brake. In essence, the resistance across the second coil will determine how
    strong the brake is. The smaller the resistance, the stronger the brake.
    RDO affects the Qts of the driver by decreasing the Qms of the driver. The RDO brake acts to damp cone
    motion, as if the suspension was considerably stiffer. However, as it?s an electromagnetic brake, the Fs is
    NOT affected (as it would raise if the suspension components ? the surround and spider ? were stiffened).
    This allows one to literally ?dial in? in a desired Qts by varying the Qms of the driver. In fact, a 250 W
    5W potentiometer can be used to tune Tempest over a large range. For example, placing Tempest in an 113
    liter box, and using the RDO configuration, one can dial in a system Qtc ranging from 0.65 to 1.2. This
    allows tailoring the low-end response of the system to meet most musical/home theater reproduction needs.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • BeginnersLuck
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Dr. Spec-

Thanks, but that really did not answer my question. I already had that information.
    TWFTPQ
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    No kidding it didn't answer your question - Russ already did that above and you thanked him for it.

I just thought maybe it would have been a helpful adjunct to your answer if you were considering altering the Qms of the driver for different applications and alignments.

SVS
  • BeginnersLuck
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Actually, I was looking to see if there are any advantages/disavantages to wireing the speakers as I mentioned above: VC parallel Drivers series compared to VC series Drivers parallel...would there be any different sound charateristics?

Both setups offer an 8 ohm load...

Thanks for any help
    -Gary
    TWFTPQ
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Honestly, I can't answer that question.

Aside from obviously having the same final impedance either way, I have no idea if the sound quality would be different. I would definitely ask Adire this question - they have a good tech department.

SVS