Subwoofer auto on/off stays off a -3

bensontm
bensontm Posts: 31
I have set my Onkyo 600 to all speakers small and the subwoofer to -3. I can turn the volume up to six o'clock and still have the auto on/off light stays at red.

I have to turn the AV receiver on a -12 to +12 scale to a subwoofer setting of +10 and the volume on the receiver to 20 to 24 for digital cable television. The subwoofer volume knob is turned to 12 o'clock. I have not tried the -3 with DVDs and my 303 Polk subwoofer although I have to turn the AV receiver's volume up to 40 to 50 for DVDs to get the same volume as the digital cable television stations. ????????????????????????????Bensontm
"Time will tell the tale"

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver
Subwoofer - Velodyne CHT-12
Fronts - Infinity Entra 3 towers
Center Front - Infinity Entra Two
Surrounds - Infinity Entra 3 towers
Surround Center - Polk CS400i
Post edited by bensontm on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2003
    You have a sleepy plate amp. This is a common problem but usually to a lesser extent. My SVS is a bit sleepy at -3 also, but not that bad. I have to bump up the master volume quite a bit sometimes for it to auto initialize and then it pretty much stays on unless the overall volume is really low.

You can try bumping the LFE up to 0, but I wouldn't go much higher.

You can also manually switch it on, but that might be a PITA. BTW, the plate amp volume setting won't affect this phenomenon at all - it is completely related to the strength of the pre-out signal.

I have seen auto-on circuits go bad and never initialize. I doubt that is your problem, but keep an eye on it.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • bensontm
    edited March 2003
    7:00 am Pacific Time. Turned LFE from -4 to 0 as the auto on/off was still on red after an hour of watching news at a low level of 12 on the AV receiver. The AV receiver has now been upped to 20 on its 1 to 100 range.

Thank you.

Subwoofer - Polk 303
    Front L/R - Infinity Alpha 3 Towers raised on stands 14".
    Center Front - Polk CS400i - sitting mightly on top of a 20" Sony
    Rear Surround L/R - Polk R30 Towers sitting on 28" bookshelves
    Center Rear - Infinity Interlude IL 25C - sitting above the crowd on top of a six foot book shelve.

I hope to move into a house, then I can hear my system's full abilities.

ADDENDUM:

Successful launch has been achieved with my sub's auto on/off turning to green with LFE at 0, subwoofer volume at full, and the master volume at 20.

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver
  • Sumflow
    Sumflow Posts: 64
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by bensontm
    after an hour of watching news
    Were you being punished?
    "At the first bend, I had the clear sensation that Tazio had taken it badly and that we would end up in the ditch; I felt myself stiffen as I waited for the crunch. Instead, we found ourselves on the next straight with the car in a perfect position. I looked at him, his rugged face was calm, just as it always was, and certainly not the face of someone who had just escaped a hair-raising spin. I had the same sensation at the second bend. By the fourth or fifth bend I began to understand; in the meantime, I had noticed that through the entire bend Tazio did not lift his foot from the accelerator, and that, in fact, it was flat on the floor. As bend followed bend, I discovered his secret. Nuvolari entered the bend somewhat earlier than my driver's instinct would have told me to. But he went into the bend in an unusual way: with one movement he aimed the nose of the car at the inside edge, just where the curve itself started. His foot was flat down, and he had obviously changed down to the right gear before going through this fearsome rigmarole. In this way he put the car into a four-wheel drift, making the most of the thrust of the centrifugal force and keeping it on the road with the traction of the driving wheels. Throughout the bend the car shaved the inside edge, and when the bend turned into the straight the car was in the normal position for accelerating down it, with no need for any corrections."

Enzo Ferrari
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by bensontm
    7:00 am Pacific Time. Turned LFE from -4 to 0 as the auto on/off was still on red after an hour of watching news at a low level of 12 on the AV receiver. The AV receiver has now been upped to 20 on its 1 to 100 range.

Thank you.

Subwoofer - Polk 303
    Front L/R - Infinity Alpha 3 Towers raised on stands 14".
    Center Front - Polk CS400i - sitting mightly on top of a 20" Sony
    Rear Surround L/R - Polk R30 Towers sitting on 28" bookshelves
    Center Rear - Infinity Interlude IL 25C - sitting above the crowd on top of a six foot book shelve.

I hope to move into a house, then I can hear my system's full abilities.

ADDENDUM:

Successful launch has been achieved with my sub's auto on/off turning to green with LFE at 0, subwoofer volume at full, and the master volume at 20.

at what volume does the sub need to receive a audio signal to kick itself from stand by to on? i think a pretty low volume level as far as I can tell.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2003
    Remember, the sub's plate amp volume setting has nothing to do with the auto on circuit - it's all related to the strength of the input signal.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • bensontm
    edited March 2003
    Just woke up and my wife had the AV set at 14.

6:15 am I turned my AV receiver's, an Onkyo 600, volume to 24 while the PSW303's volume on the sub plate was at 50% and the PSW303's auto on/off was red. This was with the subwoofer LFE setting at 0 on a -12 to +12 range as per instructions. It is ten minutes later and I still see red. My Onkyo 600's speaker configuration is all speakers set to small, crossover to 80 Hz, and the subwoofer to yes.

A commercial was playing with a male voice and that just kicked the auto on/off light from red to green. I was watching CNN which also has male voices.

Is 50% too high for the subwoofer volume? I have the phase toggle switch set to 0 degrees which I read is normal. I read the other position of 180 degrees is for when the subwoofer is moved to a position where it gives weak bass at the 0 degree setting.

Thank you for your knowledge. Does everything sound like it is working normally?

I will apologize for this story before I begin. I have told it more than once to Circuit City associates.

When I was in high school I built a pair of speakers with three way tri-axle cones. The cones consisted of a 12" woofer with a 5 1/2" midrange and 3 1/2 tweeter. They were, "sorry" it was the early seventies in rural north western Pennsylvania, from Radio Shack for $35 each. I used inch thick walnut wood for the tops, bottoms, and sides. The back and front were partical board. The were probably about 30" high x 14" deep x 16" wide. They were 100 watts per channel. I replaced my small book shelf speakers that came with my 20 watts x 2 stereo receiver that my father got me for Christmas or my birthday which are a week apart.

We used to go to the stereo boutique twenty miles south towards Pittsburgh to see the six foot tall EPI, Advents, Infinities, Boston Accoustics, etc. as well as the receivers that were out of our price range.

My friend later bought a JVC 100 watt x 2 stereo receiver which we hooked up an EPI (with 6" woofer) and one of my speakers to each channel. I was later told that from my parents basement it could be heard 200 yards at the end of the block. It was a long block.

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2003
    i use my monster power center to turn on my sub. it has a few switched outlets. works great now that i have my pro amp.