Stand Spikes

Options
66chevyIISS
66chevyIISS Posts: 857
edited January 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I'm going to build some speaker stands so I can move my fronts away from my center. It will probably be something really basic. I assume I will want to use spikes on the base. Can anyone recommend any?

I was looking at these at Parts Express. Is there anything better in the same price range or possibly even less? Thanks!

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=240-718
My Home Theater (WIP):
Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
Media Room pics
Post edited by 66chevyIISS on

Comments

• chadjessie@hotm
    chadjessie@hotm Posts: 101
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Madisound also has some very similar to the ones you are looking at. The prices are about the same but they do have some different sizes to choose from. Also there are some cheaper spikes that can be used but they are definitely not as nice looking. But if they are just being used for speaker stands they might be fine.
    Silversmoky
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    Options
    If you are going to spend $22 per, plus shipping you may as well go with an excellent set.

Myesound makes the best brass speaker decoupling spikes I've ever used. You can call Grant who BTW is a great guy and will stear you in the right direction.

I used them on my 1.2 TLs and I know several other Polkies who use them on their speakers too.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited December 2007
    Options
    While I've heard great things about the Mye spikes, I needed something even cheaper. I bought 3 brass plumb bobs for under my turntable from Harbor Freight Tools. I unscrewed the top where the string attaches, and stuck them to the plinth with something similar to Blu Tack. They've worked real well, so well that I'm buying 6 more for under my speakers.

There's also usually a couple of guys selling sets of spikes on E-bay. I can't seem to find the ones I'm thinking of, if I do, I'll post the link. Good prices, they're very simliar to the ones at Parts Express but about half the price.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Great! Thanks for all the recommendations I will check them all out.
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited January 2008
    Options
    The partsexpress ones are good stuff.