LSi/fx with SDA-2B?

agioino
agioino Posts: 15
edited March 2003 in Speakers
OK, so I got a Yamaha (RX-V1) to go with my Polks. Say what you may but I'm pretty happy with it. Except with music, I'd almost take my good ol' Nakamichi (sp?) for music. Such a shame it got replaced and now sits in a closet. So here's what I want to do.
I'm gonna take my Nak and put it upstairs with my Polk RM-3000, which is what I use as my rear surrounds right now, but that's of little consequence.

What I want to know or get an opinion on is would the lsi/fx go good with my sda-2b fronts, cs 400i center and cs 175 rear center?
Trying to steer clear of the whole sda vs. lsi rats nest but let's throw it into the frey anyway. Getting the lsi/fx is almost, in my mind, opening the door to get lsi15 in the front to replace my old friends sda 2bs. The reason I'm saying this is because I have heard distortion in the tweeters of the sda-2b in later/greater formats like 5.1 ES and EX (especially "the sound" in the opening battle scene in "Lord of the Rings") and in some DTS and some x-box games (mechwarrior).
Are my long time companion and drinking buddies (sda-2b) just starting to show their age? Not cut out for the 21st century?
I've also replaced the tweeters in the sda-2b because I thought I blew them out or something. Distortions still there, better, but still there. Maybe Yamaha a little too hard on sda-2b tweets?
I'm also considering buying a subwoofer to take some heat off the SDAs.

Well, whata you guys think?

lsi/fx for surround?
lsi vs. sda?
sda not good enough for latest tech?
Subwoofer help with problem?
SDA-2B in front
RM-3000 in rear
CS-400I/CS-175 front/rear center
Yamaha RX-V1 receiver
Sony DVP-NS700P progressive DVD
Yamaha CDC-100 CD player
SVS 20-39 PC-PLUS subwoofer
47" Mitsubishi HD 16:9 rear projection
RCA DTC-100 hi-def receiver

Canare component all over, and optical for audio. Zerosurge keeping the peace for power surges.

Office:
Nakamichi TA-2A receiver
Cambridge Audio D300-SE CD player
LSi9 "bi-wired" (A+B getto style) with Canare quad and banana terminated.
Post edited by agioino on

Comments

• agioino
    edited March 2003
    I know, I love those darn sda2bs too. Would be hard to get rid of them.
    Guess I'll have to try the band-aid route and get a sub for now.
    Budget? I could see 1 large for a sub.
    I was thinking psw650. I saw it cheap for ~500 delivered.
    You are correct, I'm looking to upgrade my home theater. Just don't listen to music much anymore. More into hidef and theater. Twist is I am really into concert dvds to make this question more difficult.
    Which sub do you recommend?
    Anybody else have problems or lack of problem with lsi/fx?
    Any other sda vs. lsi takers?
    SDA-2B in front
    RM-3000 in rear
    Yamaha RX-V1 receiver
    Yamaha CDC-100 CD player

Canare component all over, and optical for audio. Zerosurge keeping the peace for power surges.

Office:
    Nakamichi TA-2A receiver
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2003
    Is using a receiver the ideal route for a pair of SDA's? Having never heard any of them, I can't really say, but I thought that i'd read something about it (generally) not being clean enough. Would that possibly be the reason that he's hearing some distortion?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • agioino
    edited March 2003
    ATCVenom,
    Would you go with the svs 20-39's instead of the 25s?
    Seems like the 25's are more for music in one review.
    Looks like I'll be savin' for a lsi/fx and an svs of some sort.
    Any objections?
    SDA-2B in front
    RM-3000 in rear
    Yamaha RX-V1 receiver
    Yamaha CDC-100 CD player

Office:
    Nakamichi TA-2A receiver
  • abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited March 2003
    My system is very similar to yours. I have a Yamaha RX-V2300 powering a set of SDA-2As and a HSU Research VTF-2 subwoofer.

The receiver puts out plenty of clean power, but adding the subwoofer was the real improvement. I think you'll be amazed at how it improves not only your bass but your SDAs' imaging, too. I had been considering upgrading to a good, used set of SDA-1s or SRSs, but not anymore.

I have no experience with Polk's subwoofers, but the VTF-2 is outstanding! Besides sounding great, it's a good value.
  • agioino
    edited March 2003
    Cool.
    Thanks for the responses.
    I'm seriously leaning twards the svs 20-39. Do I go cs+ or csi though?
    Just thinking about how much more the girlfriend is going to hate me and the system if I go cs+!
    BTW-ATCVenom, the music bug did bite again last night.
    After all this talk about subs and I am looking at my sdas more critically. More bass, yeah, definately need more bass.
    I also turned my rm3000s in twards each other (placed originally so they were pointing past me on the couch) in the rear.
    Big difference!
    I got a little taste of that super-stereo thing you were talking about. Good for music anyway. Verdict still out on theater though.
    Probably will even wait on lsi/fx now in order to make room for new sub.
    I'm also giving my sda-2bs another chance. Thanks guys, I'd have probably been bumin' if I got rid of them.
    Philosophy question of the day.

Are your speakers (in this case my sdas) not what they used to be, or are you just getting used to them and spoiling yourself?
    SDA-2B in front
    RM-3000 in rear
    Yamaha RX-V1 receiver
    Yamaha CDC-100 CD player

Office:
    Nakamichi TA-2A receiver
  • abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited March 2003
    I recently auditioned some very fine speakers (LSi 15s included). I came out of it reminded of just how good my old SDAs still sound.