What's Best way to hook up?

brentski
brentski Posts: 96
I would appreciate some help.

I have Polk CS-400 center,RT-55's main. RT-35's surround ( and a soon to be CS-245 rear center).
What "size" should I set them to.
All to "small", all "large", or a combination? ( the manual say's to set it to each speaker's size)

Also, my receiver has a "pre-out" for the sub.
(a JBL DP-10)
I have it hooked up to the 'L' and 'R' Line inputs on the sub (and nothing plugged into the "high pass" outputs)
The sub has "high pass" and "low pass" adjustments
From what I've read, the high pass adjustment has no effect on the sound but I can hear a difference when I adjust the low pass knob.
From some posts I've read, it says that I should turn the low pass all the way up, clockwise.
What's the best way to arrange this for the speaker sizes and the sub set-up ??

Thanks for any help.
brentski

Last edited by brentski on 02-21-2003 at 08
Center; CS-400i
Main's; RT-55's
Side Surround's-RT-35's
Rear center;CS-300
Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
Post edited by brentski on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2003
    Since you have a sub , set the other speakers to small. Set your receiver's crossover to 80 hz, and turn the sub crossover as high as it will go.

Setting the speakers to small will allow the sub to handle the
    Low Frequency Effects (LFE) and free up the speakers to handle the mid and high frequencies.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited February 2003
    All speakers should be set to "small", subwoofer to "yes", and if your receiver has an "LFE Out" and it is filtered, the crossover point is usually between 80 - 120Hz. If your receiver has an adjustable crossover point, set it to somewhere between 80 - 100Hz. Connect your sub using a subwoofer cable from the "LFE Out" on the receiver to the "LFE In" or "Line Level In" on the sub.
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2003
    Clean clothes, a few drinks, dinner at an uptown place.....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    A Franklin! ;)
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2003
    80-100db? Get the Goddamn term straight, esp if Frank acts as 'Pete', and you want to act as 'Re-Pete'.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Frank Z
    edited February 2003
    Nekkid Pete!...Nekkid Pete!...Nekkid Pete!...

WWWHHHEEE!!!
  • Sumflow
    Sumflow Posts: 64
    edited February 2003
    This thread had the “The Polk Club Way!” all over it. You guys have sure come a long way since Christmas. Sub-hook-up
    "At the first bend, I had the clear sensation that Tazio had taken it badly and that we would end up in the ditch; I felt myself stiffen as I waited for the crunch. Instead, we found ourselves on the next straight with the car in a perfect position. I looked at him, his rugged face was calm, just as it always was, and certainly not the face of someone who had just escaped a hair-raising spin. I had the same sensation at the second bend. By the fourth or fifth bend I began to understand; in the meantime, I had noticed that through the entire bend Tazio did not lift his foot from the accelerator, and that, in fact, it was flat on the floor. As bend followed bend, I discovered his secret. Nuvolari entered the bend somewhat earlier than my driver's instinct would have told me to. But he went into the bend in an unusual way: with one movement he aimed the nose of the car at the inside edge, just where the curve itself started. His foot was flat down, and he had obviously changed down to the right gear before going through this fearsome rigmarole. In this way he put the car into a four-wheel drift, making the most of the thrust of the centrifugal force and keeping it on the road with the traction of the driving wheels. Throughout the bend the car shaved the inside edge, and when the bend turned into the straight the car was in the normal position for accelerating down it, with no need for any corrections."

Enzo Ferrari
  • Frank Z
    edited February 2003
    Sumflow,
    What is your point?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2003
    He hasn't had one since he arrvied Frank-e-boy.
  • sterling bug
    sterling bug Posts: 228
    edited February 2003
    at least he only used three crayons this time.
  • Sumflow
    edited February 2003
    Hi guys I just came back for another adventures in the Pointless Forest.

You see once upon a time in the town of Point, everything - all the buildings, trees, and
    even the people were pointed. Except for one little round-headed kid named Oblio. Oblio did not have a point.
    :)
    "At the first bend, I had the clear sensation that Tazio had taken it badly and that we would end up in the ditch; I felt myself stiffen as I waited for the crunch. Instead, we found ourselves on the next straight with the car in a perfect position. I looked at him, his rugged face was calm, just as it always was, and certainly not the face of someone who had just escaped a hair-raising spin. I had the same sensation at the second bend. By the fourth or fifth bend I began to understand; in the meantime, I had noticed that through the entire bend Tazio did not lift his foot from the accelerator, and that, in fact, it was flat on the floor. As bend followed bend, I discovered his secret. Nuvolari entered the bend somewhat earlier than my driver's instinct would have told me to. But he went into the bend in an unusual way: with one movement he aimed the nose of the car at the inside edge, just where the curve itself started. His foot was flat down, and he had obviously changed down to the right gear before going through this fearsome rigmarole. In this way he put the car into a four-wheel drift, making the most of the thrust of the centrifugal force and keeping it on the road with the traction of the driving wheels. Throughout the bend the car shaved the inside edge, and when the bend turned into the straight the car was in the normal position for accelerating down it, with no need for any corrections."

Enzo Ferrari
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    He obviously was given crayons.....
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2003
    ....and a baggie of paint thinner to huff, nonetheless.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

Cheers,
    Rooster

sooooo Rooster, what should I expect when huffing paint thinner? :confused:

Perhaps :p
    to huff a muff is much like diveing for bearded clams... or... going to lunch where all there was to eat sloppy joe's could be called a nooner. :cool:

oh the sloppy joe is good eaten.

:lol::lol:

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

Cheers,
    Rooster
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: gotta go "5" on that one... thanks Russ almost cost me a lung...

Brentski,
    Whatcha end up buying? the Denon?
    BTW if you use the subs LFE input, its high-pass filter is not in play...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • brentski
    edited March 2003
    Tour2ma,

Decided on the unit but know, just trying to find the most reputable e-tailer to buy it from.

Does anyone know if there's such a list of of reputable e-tailers for electronics to be found somewhere?

Thanks
    brentski
    Center; CS-400i
    Main's; RT-55's
    Side Surround's-RT-35's
    Rear center;CS-300
    Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2003
    What unit are you huntin'?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • brentski
    edited March 2003
    The Denon 3803
    Center; CS-400i
    Main's; RT-55's
    Side Surround's-RT-35's
    Rear center;CS-300
    Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
  • Sumflow
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Whatcha end up buying? the Denon?
    BTW if you use the subs LFE input, its high-pass filter is not in play...
    Whoa, He’s asking about a Denon 3803. If I understand your blurb you are saying the high-pass filter on the Sub is not in play with the LFE input.

That would be the way to go. That way he can use the
    Denon’s crossovers.

Enzo Ferrari