Good deal on headphones?

Shizelbs
Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
edited March 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
http://www.buy.com/retail/clearance/product.asp?sku=70010569&loc=&product=

On bensbargains.net everyone is claiming this to be a good/great deal on outstanding headphones. I know nothing about headphones, but I thought this may be of some interest to someone on this forum
Post edited by Shizelbs on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2003
    That is the best price I've seen! I just paid almost $50 more than that :(
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited March 2003
    That is a pretty good deal. I've been seeing them go for 220 with free shipping on ebay (New in box)
  • etrigan
    etrigan Posts: 160
    edited March 2003
    A very good deal indeed ! (C'mon - Do it now, C'mon BUY ME !)
    Don't own 'em - but a Very nice set of ' Phones.
    A friend has a pair - Haven't got a chance to borrow them yet - But I've only heard Rave reviews.
    I Wish I had $ :mad:

CHEERS ! jefff
    Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2003
    Is anyone willing to explain to me the benefit of using headphones over just sitting back and listening to my nice Polk speakers? I've never been blessed with the chance to use a good pair of headphones.
  • madmax
    edited March 2003
    I'll share what I've learned in the past two weeks. I had cheap $100 headphones from Sony for years but never really enjoyed them because they didn't give me anything over listening to speakers. Normally I heard the same things but just lost the space and soundstage. After getting the HD600's I see why some people like headphones. I hear many sounds which I never noticed through the speakers. Obvious ones! It is a thrill to hear all that was missing! It's worth a try if you have $200 to spend. They will never replace speakers and speakers will never replace headphones. In my opinion the two need to live hapily together.
    madmax

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by Shizelbs
    Is anyone willing to explain to me the benefit of using headphones over just sitting back and listening to my nice Polk speakers?

Well...for one thing...with headphones you never hear "Turn that #*%z@&!$ stereo down!".
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2003
    Shack,
    That's 'cause you can't hear anything with headphones on... :)

Anyway, did y'all buy 'em out? The link is now to a dead end, "Product not available", message now.

So exactly what Brand and model was being discussed here?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Shack,
    That's 'cause you can't hear anything with headphones on... :)
    Except fot the music...and that was exactly my point.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • madmax
    edited March 2003
    The brand was Sennheiser HD-600's. They have a list price of $449 and normally sell for $275 to $449. This place had it for $199 with free shipping!
    madmax

• Shizelbs
    edited March 2003
    I had a similar post in the off topic section, but I will do it here as well. I admit, I love my R series setup for HT, but I can't really get into surround for music. I really find it annoying to be surrounded by all parts of the drum set in music. DVD-A is pretty cool, but I am not there yet. Anyways, I just can't seem to get into PL2 or anything surround for my music. I really enjoy it all more on my R40's in two channel.

So, my question to you all is, what would you do? Would investing in an amp help me out in my overall enjoyment of two channel sound or should I go with a nice pair of headphones and a headphone amp? Any specific suggestions for amp or headphones? Nothing too extreme, but I don't want to be too cheap either. Thanks for your help.
  • infinitiqx4
    infinitiqx4 Posts: 80
    edited March 2003
    anyone have amp suggestions for the senn hd600?