acceptable amp distortion

Options
I am considering building my own sub. I plan on using the 120watt amp from parts express. It states that it can provide 110 watts of power at .1% distortion. Is this a good figure or should I shop for an amp with less distortion? I seem to remember hearing that .01% distortion or less is the ideal figure for amps. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Post edited by ronaldo141 on

Comments

• goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2003
    Options
    you can get the 250 watt amp for not much more. that is my recomendations.
    what driver are you looking at?
    what size?
    and do you have a price range?
    there are a few of us who have buld and a few who are bulding subs.
    and then there is dr spec if i cant anser it i bet he proabley can.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2003
    Options
    .1% distotion on a sub amp is pretty standard.

999/1000, the more power the better.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • ronaldo141
    ronaldo141 Posts: 41
    edited March 2003
    Options
    well, at this point i have yet to consider driver brands. Figured I'd learn what amp to get first. All I know is that I want either a 10 or 12 inch driver. Are there any advantages a 10 inch driver will have over a 12 inch driver besides being cheaper?

Also should I look for a ported or sealed enclosure? I think a ported one would yield louder bass, but sealed would make it tighter. Because the sub is mainly for movies, I may stick with ported.
    Are there actual boxes I can buy or do I need to build one?

This sub does not have to be a killer bass machine. I'm just looking for something deeper than my current sony 8-inch 50 watt sub, which shouldn't be too hard. The problem is the room i have has very high ceilings so it may take a good bit of power to get some bass. The sony was previously in my much smaller bedroom, where it worked superbly.

Price Range: preferably under $200. I know its not much to work with, but I'm on a tight budget. thanks for your help.