Planet of the Apes (Burton style)

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited November 2001 in Music & Movies
40160508.jpg

Good movie, not great, but not boring. Lacks the Tim Burton touch a little, not quite up to par with Edward Scissorhands or Sleepy Hollow. The sets/make-up are excellent. The cameo with C. Heston is cool. Tim Roth and Helana Bonham Carter do great jobs.

The disk is beautiful, the dts sound will not dissapoint and the opening crash sequence will make for a great demo.

The ending is good, but I am still a little consfused about how it ties back into the story. Guess the insert card sort-of explains the ending but I have not read it.

All-n-all a great buy at $17.

Peace Out~:D
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited November 2001
    i just picked it up for $18 at sam's club.

it's not quite as good as i was expecting it to be (burton style), but it is an awesome disc.

joe :D
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited November 2001
    Watch this, watch me get flamed royally on this one...

You all know, of course, that Tim Burton really sucks and is not the big original talent that everyone thinks he is.

Everything he does fails. The only exception is PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE, which scores spectacularly because of the comedic talent of Paul Rubens.

Let's see...

There's BEETLEJUICE, which only works because Michael Keaton is a genius in the role. The effects are cheesy and low budget, the acting is second rate, the direction is jumpy and disjointed and the story is idiotic.

There's BATMAN, a HUGE stinker -- saved again by Michael Keaton in what could the best, most nuanced role of his career (think about it). Everything about it fails, from the lauded "look" (done better in BLADE RUNNER and BLADE) to the horrible casting of Jack as The Joker. It just falls flat as a board and you know it.

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS... People really liked this? It's completely dopey and idiotic. Except for the great cameo of Vincent Price, what the hell is the point here?! This is catering to some teenage faux goth suburban schoolgirl neurosis at its worst.

ED WOOD works only because Martin Landau is channelling Bela Lugosi (otherwise you have to admit it's a convoluted mess).

MARS ATTACKS. Jesus. Who funded this?

SLEEPY HOLLOW... Did anyone ever see the old Disney cartoon version of this? With that amazingly scary headless horseman? Has anyone actually read the actual story? If either of these things are done, the petty obviousness and simplicity and stupidity of Burton's movie version is plain to see. Granted, it looked cool. But who cares from CGI? Where's the BEEF?

I guess I have to see this new PLANET OF THE APES before I can condemn it, but I gotta say the original is so effing good that I have an angry reaction just to the fact that he coopted the name for his movie. That kind of unthinking crass commercialization makes me puke.

He's a non-talent.

So there!

MICAH
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited November 2001
    If that insert card really does explain the ending, you really must relay it to me. I saw the movie in the theater and am still confused by it. Micah's pretty wound up about Burton.....hmm, I wonder if one of the Hentai web servers went down.....

Aaron
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    I'll read it tonight.

Micah is a bit on edge, cut back on the espresso.

Keaton could not save his own **** if it was handed to him, one of the worst actors on the market. He had no hand in saving Batman or BJ (that's Bettle Jucie, Micah). Gives me the willies just thinking about Keaton, he's a ****.

Some advice Micah, do not, I repet DO NOT see PotA, you will not like it.....I guarantee it.

If...
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited November 2001
    delivery guy stopped bye my girlfriends mom's office last week, and he was taking a bunch of dvd's to some store (didn't get the whole story). but a package of planet of the apes dvd's ripped open, and he was just handing them out, my GF's mom didn't want it, so i ended up with a FREE planet of the apes DVD, and i've had it since last week! too bad i haven't watched it yet... i love burton, but i feel there's no need to flame mc for that today, his detail of his love affair with hentia cg girls should have humiliated him enough already today:D

oh yeah, i want my 10% discount that went into your ****!!!
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    Wait, Michael Keaton is better than that.

First of all, he's funny when he makes an effort to me. See "Night Shift" and "Mister Mom." Comeon, you laughed and you know it.

Second of all, he really did a great job as BATMAN. I admit that when it first announced that he would do it, I was WAY skeptical. But he brought a real understated elegance and depth to a character that deserved that treatment. Bruce Wayne is one messed up dude, and Keaton really succeeded in tapping that inner turmoil. He was a bundle of nerves, and completely believeable as a psychotic sociopath.

But alas, the film (both BATMAN movies with him) fails miserably due to misguidance. Everything about them was wrong. Burton missed the whole dark evil depth of the character. It could have been as good as "BLADE," which struck me as a great BATMAN-esque movie. Really well directed and dark dark dark.

Keaton is funny, man.

"Ah, it's great to be young and insane!"

"I'm all right. Fortunately, the ground broke my fall."

Comeon, he's FUNNY!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    Funny, nope. Never saw Mr. Mom, Night Shift, I'll pass. Once was enough.

Val Kilmer was the best Batman!

BTW: Just to inflict more pain. The Green Room has walls laced with movie posters, they are:

1. Edward Scissorhands (Edward only)
    2. Edward Scissorhands (Edward and Kim)
    3. The Nightmare Before Christmas
    4. Sleepy Hollow
    5. Planet of the Apes

That's right, all Burton films. Love his movies. It don't get much better.

Never liked Keaton, he is just "off".

If...
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    kilmer was definitely the best batman. the only thing he was a little weak on was playing bruce wayne.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2001
    "Flame on" Johnny Storm. Micah, Micah, Micah. Hey, where's the "hang your head in shame smiley"? Nuff said.

I always wanted to see Puddy (the Tick) as Batman.

I agree with Ron-P on the review.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    Val Kilmer? You guys are hopeless.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Aaron
    edited November 2001
    I agree with Micah on Keaton's performance as Batman. Right on! Keaton was the best, Clooney was the worst.

Aaron
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    ok, well clooney is always the worst!!!
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    Thank you. Val Kilmer... Sheesh.

You know, I love George Clooney. I mean, I hated him for a long time. I didn't want to like him. Then, like 15 years ago, he was on Howard's show (back when Howard was real and great), and Clooney was funny and laid back.

And then he does OUT OF SIGHT, and he's subtle and ingenious in it. And then there's that amazing amazing moment of REAL ACTING in THREE KINGS that makes him an incredible actor.

And then he goes and botches the whole celebrity charity thing recently, which really turned me off to him.

I hate when stars show their true personalities sometimes. They're such idiots. How can I like him now?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Aaron
    edited November 2001
    And then he goes and botches the whole celebrity charity thing recently, which really turned me off to him.
    Must have missed that. What happened?

Aaron
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    O'Reilly (who is of course the best interviewer on TV now) pressed the stars when it was discovered that the money raised from those big goofy all-star charity telethons wasn't going anywhere. Most stars had no comment, a couple came on his show and demanded, with him, more accountability from the charities, and one -- Clooney -- wrote a ridiculously misguided letter to O saying that it's not the stars' responsibility to be responsible for the things they use their likenesses to represent or some such idiotic thing.

He looked really bad. Especially in light of the other stars' concerns and the ultimate enlightenment of the charities themselves into a more open discourse and dispursment of funds.

Stars should shut up and stick to being stars. Read the script and go home, don't try to be an expert on stuff.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• juice21
    edited November 2001
    how could you ever even considering possibly liking clooney. the guy is horrible. you baffle me, you tear apart travolta, and love clooney? now, i'm not saying that travolta is good or anything, but clooney's REAL ACTING in THREE KINGS. i walked out of the theater in three kings. the movie, acting, choreagraphy, etc. is all horrible. it's like the director got a new hand held camcorder and was like, let's shoot this scene in solarized, let's try this over here. random and stupid. i can't believe all the hype this movie brought. ahhh! i think you hit a sensitive spot. i hate this movie like you hate john travolta!!!
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    You missed out.

THREE KINGS ranks with APOCALYPSE NOW as a great war film. No fooling. It's our generation's APOCALYPSE NOW.

It has a great, emotional, affecting story that is NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT IS at the beginning. It has gutsy, good acting from three guys you don't normally think of as "great actors." It was shot in a nifty neat style that was really evocative of a mood and a place. It has action, suspense, drama and comedy. It has a bank job. A war. A morality tale.

And Clooney does this THING, in the village scene when the woman is shot, when his character realizes that everything that he thought up until that moment is WRONG (remember Kevin Spacey in the bar in LA CONFIDENTAL, when he puts the $50 bill on the glass and runs out -- same amazing moment), and his face does this sick, subtle, incredible change, and all of sudden the film shifts gears and gets completely different... That's an ACTOR'S MOMENT if ever there were one. And Clooney is GREAT in it. He touches something deep there.

Give it another chance. It's a great DVD.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• juice21
    edited November 2001
    i've been told this countless times. i almost rented it once to see what i missed in the theater's. not the segment i didn't see cause i walked out, but what i must of missed for this movie to get so much hype. apparently i walked out about 15 minutes to the end. i walked out cause i didn't get where the movie was going or what it was trying to say. i was just irratated at the film at that point. i've only walked out on about 3-4 movies in my lifetime, i usually like to give them a chance to redeem themselves, even if it really sucks throughout. i just couldn't take it anymore with three kings. does everyone in the world love this movie but me???
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    Ahhh yes, Three Kings, a great movie no doubt. Cloney at his best, loved this film.
    It's our generation's APOCALYPSE NOW.

Yep!

If...
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    Shoot. I can't tell if you're funnin' me, matey. Do ya mean it? Can me and Ron see eye-to-eye on this one? Oh please oh please.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    Yep, it be true, one in a million:)

If...
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    Hey that's cool!

That makes me happy! So happy in fact that I'm willing to forgive you the Tim Burton fixation!

MC!
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    Geee, Ummm, Ok, I guess a thank you is in order, I think.

If...
  • DonP
    DonP Posts: 11
    edited November 2001
    Burton is one of my least favorite directors. Also not a big fan of Batman. (any of them). Burton's dark, campy style just isn't entertaining. Michael Keaton in Johnny Dangerously was great. A classic right up there with Airplane. Apocalypse Now is out again with extra minutes. Anyone see it? It's a classic also. As far as Three Kings. I liked the movie. Not in the "classic" catagory though. I never pay to see Tim Burton movies. Catch them on cable sometimes.